• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1% of books are 40% of the CGC Census
1 1

51 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Probably not. A full 8 years separated them. In comic book readership terms, that used to be a lifetime.

I suspect that the juvenile and adolescent boys who made up the bulk of readership of ASM #200 had long since left comics behind by issue #300.

I further suspect that it was the ho hum response to X-Men #200 in late 1985 that might have had something to do with the ho hum response to #300.

And, historically, anniversary issues, by virtue of their being anniversary issues, have never done well, because retailers typically "over order" them (which was true of #300, by the way), and very little happens...ASM #300 just turned out to be the massive exception.

And....it being Venom's first appearance didn't much matter until 1992-ish, with the Carnage 3-part storyline in #361-363, and then, of course, Lethal Protector the next year.

Good points... now that I think about it... I can't name an important #200, #300, #400, etc., apart from ASM #300.  So, even though I'm tempted to believe it sold well as a something-hundredth anniversary issue... it probably didn't, apart from slightly higher orders.

Wow these figures make  me want to pick coin collecting back up.... a famous coin that i used to want real bad had low mintage ,... now i know it REALLY had low mintage ,, and popular too

the 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter with an original mintage of 52,000 with only about 4,000 graded survivors and only about 10% of these with four readable dates ,... many other rare coins that graded comic census numbers put to shame...

Image result for 1916 standing liberty Image result for 1916 standing liberty feverse

Edited by 1950's war comics

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't have my Krause handy; what were Cap city's orders for #298-305? They were shockingly low, all things considered.

298 - 36,300

299 - 36,300

300 - 42,900

301 - 33,100

302 - 33,700

303 - 35,200

304 - 35,700

305 - 35,000

1 hour ago, Brock said:

298 - 36,300

299 - 36,300

300 - 42,900

301 - 33,100

302 - 33,700

303 - 35,200

304 - 35,700

305 - 35,000

Thanks Brock! As you can see, not a substantial bump for #300, and numbers about where New Mutants was when Liefeld took over.

Pretty sad, all things considered.

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Who said it had a print run of 7,266...?

Whoever said that...and whoever repeated it...is wrong.

Kirkman and Moore both had several hundred...if not a couple thousand...copies that they sold at conventions in 2003-2004. I suspect that the sales figure reported on Comichron represents a mere 50%...or less....of the entire print run of WD #1.

The print run is FAR in excess of 7,266, and the number 2,888 represents a number of resubmissions that didn't get labels turned in. How many? Nobody will ever know.

It's funny that you are so hard to come down on Comichron numbers, yet you make claims that there is no way to backup, ever.

18 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I didn't realize Outcast #1 from 2014 was so popular.

It was optioned before it was released. It was the next Walking Dead.

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Probably not. A full 8 years separated them. In comic book readership terms, that used to be a lifetime.

I suspect that the juvenile and adolescent boys who made up the bulk of readership of ASM #200 had long since left comics behind by issue #300.

A very good point. An example with me was I devoured the first 50 issues of GI JOE as a kid, but by issue #100 I was long gone from the title.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:
19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Kirkman and Moore both had several hundred...if not a couple thousand...copies that they sold at conventions in 2003-2004. I suspect that the sales figure reported on Comichron represents a mere 50%...or less....of the entire print run of WD #1.

The print run is FAR in excess of 7,266, and the number 2,888 represents a number of resubmissions that didn't get labels turned in. How many? Nobody will ever know.

It's funny that you are so hard to come down on Comichron numbers, yet you make claims that there is no way to backup, ever.

Sure there's a way to back it up.

See the address at the back of the latest Walking Dead issue? You can contact Kirkman directly that way. Write him, see what he says.

Unless you don't believe Kirkman....?

And I am not "hard to come down on" Comichron numbers. The numbers that JJM provides to the collecting community are invaluable, and a great service.

I come down on the people who MISUSE those numbers, who don't understand those numbers, and who repeat those numbers in ways they are not intended to be used and don't mean.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure there's a way to back it up.

See the address at the back of the latest Walking Dead issue? You can contact Kirkman directly that way. Write him, see what he says.

Unless you don't believe Kirkman....?

And I am not "hard to come down on" Comichron numbers. The numbers that JJM provides to the collecting community are invaluable, and a great service.

I come down on the people who MISUSE those numbers, who don't understand those numbers, and who repeat those numbers in ways they are not intended to be used and don't mean.

Why would I contact them? I'm not the one who made the statement.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:
19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Also...everyone needs to be honest when having these sorts of discussions, especially if someone is going to challenge what someone else says. You added bolding where there wasn't any originally...but let's emphasize another part of that quote:

Kirkman and Moore both had several hundred...if not a couple thousand...copies that they sold at conventions in 2003-2004. I suspect that the sales figure reported on Comichron represents a mere 50%...or less....of the entire print run of WD #1.

It is a fact that both Kirkman and Moore had copies of WD #1 that they sold at conventions in 2003-2004. You need only ask them. 

But notice the emphasis I added up there: "I suspect"...it means I do not know, but believe it to be true. It represents an opinion. It means that I could very well be wrong. 

In other words, it's a qualified statement.

Do not misunderstand me: I very much appreciate that you're willing to challenge the things people say here. VERY much. It keeps people sharp and on their toes. But if you're going to do that, you need to be on your toes as well.

Just now, ygogolak said:

Why would I contact them? I'm not the one who made the statement.

Whether you contact them or not, the statement by you "yet you make claims that there is no way to backup, ever." is not true.

There is a way to backup my claim: ask Kirkman or Tony Moore. I have confirmed it. If you don't trust me....and there's no reason why you should...then you'll have to ask them yourself.

19 hours ago, valiantman said:

Good points... now that I think about it... I can't name an important #200, #300, #400, etc., apart from ASM #300.  So, even though I'm tempted to believe it sold well as a something-hundredth anniversary issue... it probably didn't, apart from slightly higher orders.

Detective #400 is the only one that jumped to my mind. 

On 6/12/2018 at 2:30 PM, LordRahl said:

I wouldn't say that Mike, it did average right around $70-80 for 3 years. Would have been worth slabbing then, not so much now. 

That's still a lot of people now holding $3 bills they might have paid $75 bucks for.

Edited by jcjames

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

That's still a lot of people now holding $3 bills they might have paid $75 bucks for.

Sure but that's the people that bought them, not slabbed them. Mike was referring to the slabbing dollars being a waste of money, which at one point in time wasn't the case, although it would be today.

I added some quick links on the CGCdata.com page today:

Top 500 Submissions: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/

Top Marvel: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/marvel

Top D.C.: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/dc

Top Other: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/other

1969 Silver Surfer 4 2,453

Has it ever been proven this was somehow a lower print or harder to find (or part of a semi-trailer that was stolen and never found again as I heard somewhere)?   Seems like plenty survived at that number. 

On 6/12/2018 at 3:15 PM, valiantman said:

Would it be fair to say that the "not that special" status for ASM #200 would have contributed to the initial "who cares" attitude for #300?

Although I am loathed to admit this, this is exactly what happened to me, I bought multiple copies of ASM #200 and it didn't go anywhere, so by the time #300 came out, I only bought one off the shelf. :tonofbricks: