• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men #1....with a press and clean, what grade?

15 posts in this topic

IMO, the very best this book can receive is a 4.5 . There is just too much going on to assign a grade with the word 'Fine' in it. Maybe some of your grade estimates assume the press will include a spine realignment and remove the large spine roll. I hate spine realignments so I am not considering it. The top edge is very banged up and, while a press may straighten it out, I think there will be residual tears and creases. There is a stain on the FC under the 'M' in X-Men. It may be a very large stain if the area above the 'M' is also part of the stain. Hard to tell from the scan. The right edge has a large reading crease and some color rub. The Back Cover has two long color breaking creases . IMO, the BC creases are big enough to cap it @ 5.5 . The FC stain, spine roll, and all the other stuff should take it down at least a full point. I would grade it at 4.0 now but I could see a 4.5 with some help. I do like the strong Green and Red colors on the FC. Unfortunately CGC does not add points for aesthetics. In any case good luck on your submission.

I'm seeing a 4.5. If the press/clean doesn't damage anything I could see an outside shot at 5. Like Bob said, there is a chance you may damage it. The rub on the front won't get better. I would carefully examine the edges of the cover to see if it looks like it's about to start chipping or cracking. Either way you have a great book! 

On the back cover is there a really light part on the lower left triangle or is that just from the scan? Or was that folded under? I may be wrong but I don't think that's a stain under the M. Looks like the inside page showing up through the cover from the scan light.

Edited by Not A Clone

On 6/12/2018 at 8:40 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, the very best this book can receive is a 4.5 . There is just too much going on to assign a grade with the word 'Fine' in it. Maybe some of your grade estimates assume the press will include a spine realignment and remove the large spine roll. I hate spine realignments so I am not considering it. The top edge is very banged up and, while a press may straighten it out, I think there will be residual tears and creases. There is a stain on the FC under the 'M' in X-Men. It may be a very large stain if the area above the 'M' is also part of the stain. Hard to tell from the scan. The right edge has a large reading crease and some color rub. The Back Cover has two long color breaking creases . IMO, the BC creases are big enough to cap it @ 5.5 . The FC stain, spine roll, and all the other stuff should take it down at least a full point. I would grade it at 4.0 now but I could see a 4.5 with some help. I do like the strong Green and Red colors on the FC. Unfortunately CGC does not add points for aesthetics. In any case good luck on your submission.

Hey @Bomber-Bob !

your next post is your 10,000 post (worship) and you become a SEASONED VETERAN (thumbsu

Way to go !!