• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hair inside the case

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I just had some comics graded and two of them had issue, one has hair inside case and the other one has the micro-chamber paper sticking out. Does anybody knows if CGC would fix these issues? 

11 hours ago, Palermo said:

Hi, I just had some comics graded and two of them had issue, one has hair inside case and the other one has the micro-chamber paper sticking out. Does anybody knows if CGC would fix these issues? 

I can't say for sure, but it sounds like something they would fix. 

15 hours ago, Palermo said:

If the micro-chamber paper is showing, sometimes you can gently tap the case on the opposite side of where the paper is sticking out and it will move the paper back inside the book. For example, if the paper is sticking out of the bottom of the book, grasp the holder firmly at the bottom with one hand, and then use the palm of your other hand to gently but forcefully tap the top of the holder. It may take a few attempts, but this should move the micro-chamber paper back inside the book. Be wary, though---your goal is to move the paper, not the book. If the book is fragile in any way or can easily move around inside the inner well, it could cause damage to the book, so exercise caution when attempting this procedure and don't attempt it if the book has a fragile cover or pages. As far as the hair goes, those are usually trapped between the inside of the holder and the outside of the inner well. You can usually create a thin opening on the side of the holder and fish the hair out, just don't pry open the holder too far or you'll crack it. Try to get the hair as close to the opening as you can before attempting to fish it out---this can be done by simply blowing air into the holder from a common source (such as your own lungs). Use a piece of paper or a very thin tool such as a thin measuring shim to fish the hair out. Just be careful not to use anything pointed or sharp that may cause damage to the book. I hope this helps, and if you're not confident enough to try it, there's always CGC... (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den
More stuff

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

If the micro-chamber paper is showing, sometimes you can gently tap the case on the opposite side of where the paper is sticking out and it will move the paper back inside the book. For example, if the paper is sticking out of the bottom of the book, grasp the holder firmly at the bottom with one hand, and then use the palm of your other hand to gently but forcefully tap the top of the holder. It may take a few attempts, but this should move the micro-chamber paper back inside the book. Be wary, though---your goal is to move the paper, not the book. If the book is fragile in any way or can easily move around inside the inner well, it could cause damage to the book, so exercise caution when attempting this procedure and don't attempt it if the book has a fragile cover or pages. As far as the hair goes, those are usually trapped between the inside of the holder and the outside of the inner well. You can usually create a thin opening on the side of the holder and fish the hair out, just don't pry open the holder too far or you'll crack it. Try to get the hair as close to the opening as you can before attempting to fish it out---this can be done by simply blowing air into the holder from a common source (such as your own lungs). Use a piece of paper or a very thin tool such as a thin measuring shim to fish the hair out. Just be careful not to use anything pointed or sharp that may cause damage to the book. I hope this helps, and if you're not confident enough to try it, there's always CGC... (thumbsu

Thanks, I was able to get the micro-chamber paper back inside quiet easily (I feel dumb to not try that right away). The hair seems I little trickier since case is very tight, thanks again for these tips.

Edited by Palermo

2 hours ago, Palermo said:

Thanks, I was able to get the micro-chamber paper back inside quiet easily (I feel dumb to not try that right away). The hair seems I little trickier since case is very tight, thanks again for these tips.

You're welcome. While the CGC cases are generally sealed very securely at the top and bottom, there is almost always an opening along at least one of the sides, often about halfway down. It takes a little prying and a little practice, but usually you can remove a hair or other tiny foreign object without too much trouble. Good luck!   (thumbsu

23 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

You're welcome. While the CGC cases are generally sealed very securely at the top and bottom, there is almost always an opening along at least one of the sides, often about halfway down. It takes a little prying and a little practice, but usually you can remove a hair or other tiny foreign object without too much trouble. Good luck!   (thumbsu

These new cases (at least the ones I've got) don't seem to have the same opening on the sides that the old ones did.  Getting a piece of paper through I've found pert near impossible.

2 hours ago, Mystafo said:

These new cases (at least the ones I've got) don't seem to have the same opening on the sides that the old ones did.  Getting a piece of paper through I've found pert near impossible.

Bummer...  O.o

Edited by The Lions Den