• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Vancouver October 12-14, 2018
1 1

117 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, fat11381 said:

Facebook page-They will be accepting pressing submissions (no onsite pressing

Freshly Pressed Comics had a good location left of Harley's booth near front entrance. No onsite pressing:

sk2RBSB.jpg?1

17 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

The bros. Canadian Comics had a diverse display of keys and semi-keys:

Some comics were on consignment like HoS #92 Cgc that looked more like a 5.5:

GmRHg7O.jpg

Allan;

Great pics of the con which you posted for all of us here.  (thumbsu

Since you seem to know a bit about OA, any idea what the original artwork for HOS 92 would be worth in today's marketplace?  hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

(thumbsu any idea what the original artwork for HOS 92 would be worth in today's marketplace?  hm

If we have to ask, neither one of us can afford the OA to HOS #92 cover especially after Wrightson passed away. Waiting for Fan Boy or another OA forumite to report back on the quality of the panels and Sat. crowds at FEV. :wink:

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since you seem to know a bit about OA, any idea what the original artwork for HOS 92 would be worth in today's marketplace?  hm

14 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

If we have to ask, neither one of us can afford the OA to HOS #92 cover especially after Wrightson passed away. Waiting for Fan Boy or another OA forumite to report back on the quality of the panels and Sat. crowds at FEV. :wink:

Correct... actually I learned from a source who told me that there was one page OA to this book sold in an auction some time ago. He said it went for thousands of dollars. I didn’t get the exact number. 

Yep, none of us can afford any OA Pages to HOS #92. 

Saturday morning, the line to enter went briskly as I walked by booths until I found the comic vendors. Had a look at their wall racks. They are as what aardvark88 said on Friday. Slight better improvement from last year. jiggypig’s wall rack is nice and my eye fell on one BA Neal Adams book that I might think to take. Canadian Comics booth as usual displayed some good books. Harvey in his sweet spot, has his wall rack with some GA Batmans, Timelys and such. 

I will post photos of some closeups today when I go there today. I had dropped a few books to try out the pressing facility (2 small keys and one BA book). I want to see how he do with his pressing skills. It will be some time before I get them back.

By afternoon, the crowd gets more tight a bit. I went to Ron Perlman (Hellboy actor of first two movies) panel to watch. He was great in his natural character on stage. He cussed in his speech and I enjoyed that. His opinion on Hellboy 3 movie in the works, he is not involved with the project ... a new actor will take the Hellboy role. But he said this new movie should be good one, it is about the son of Hellboy in story. That, where I will not say more. 

Got my graphic novel New Mutants signed by Bob McLeod, he told me that he thinks the movie on NM, as a horror theme, should be good if done right. He is not involved with the filming as it is. 

I got these books. One vendor got the Jughead book from Baltimore for me, and some DC BA books to fill in my collection. I’m holding out on my wallet for a big book later. 

96D28E01-EB81-4E67-B833-0EF8D0BA4E3B.jpeg

12 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

I end my show travels for 2018 here in Vancouver, and start them in 2019 —- show dates are March 1-3, 2019.

Are you certain with that dates? My friends told me where they got word from one of FEV panel staff that it would be in April 2019. I was surprised that FEV decided to go back to their original Spring dates. Seems it is due to the difficulty of booking media guests in the fall season, they want do a better job and the feedback from media guests shows they favor the spring season over the fall season. 

If that is the case, I guess it it will be 6 months for the next FEV. Be interesting to see how it stack up with ECCC and Calgary Comic Expo  9_9O.o

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Are you certain with that dates?  I guess it it will be 6 months for the next FEV. Be interesting to see how it stack up with ECCC and Calgary Comic Expo  9_9O.o

Emerald City comic con, Seattle, WA will be March 14-17, 2019 so I guess FEV March 1-3, 2019 wants to be ahead of ECCC and Calgary Expo in April, 2019.

Strangely, Dazzler #1 was selling this weekend for $15 due to movie hype to newer collector/speculators. Anthill Comics and Books:

oJ9yGXt.jpg

28 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

I’m 100% on the dates as I have guests booked already -  March 1-3, 2019.

They were promoted to attendees on the show map.

4.5 months

I believe you, you are good on your word. It’s official then.  My friend will hate me because I wanted to go to ECCC in March. He complained of the hotel expenses to me lol.  I tried to explain him the smart thing is to take care of hotel expenses in ahead first then worry about the comic budget later to save up. Not do everything at the same time!

14 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

I believe you, you are good on your word. It’s official then.  My friend will hate me because I wanted to go to ECCC in March. He complained of the hotel expenses to me lol.  I tried to explain him the smart thing is to take care of hotel expenses in ahead first then worry about the comic budget later to save up. Not do everything at the same time!

Coming to Calgary next April?

36 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I might look in that. If the stars align to my favor and cheap airfare to score. I am up for two days in the show. For now I am keeping my eyes to score a ECCC ticket first, then I will see about Calgary airfare prices. :wishluck:

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I might consign 10 aggressively priced comics there but not planning to attend Calgary expo, as not retired from day job yet.

So 2 collectors from Vancouver post about FEV out of the 5 forumites that attended, as greggy and Flatliner1313 are out? :/

Last night the Calgary based Fan Expo HQ West team was ceremonially transferred FEV managing and operations, tying this event much closer to Calgary and Edmonton. Still lots of great crossover between east and west. 

Edited by Kevin Boyd

1 hour ago, kimik said:

FEV as well? Sounds like it is not on the same level as the Calgary or Edmonton Expos....... :devil:

At least FEV got the tower of t-shirts vendor back this time after they had abandoned Vancouver for at least 1 or 2 Expos. Taxes (property, fuel, transit levy, anti-pollution, maintenance fees, etc.) LEAPING up every year. So happy price of regular gas dropped down to as low as $1.619/litre :shy: on Sunday. Now I can afford a Costco hotdog. :kidaround: We hope to reach Edm Expo's attendance in 6 more years. :boo:

1 minute ago, kimik said:

Would FEV be worth setting up at as a vendor so collectors have some new stuff to go through? 

Only big comic vendors like Harley can afford FEV high nosebleed prices on tables. My friend asked one comic vendor at FEV that question. I was surprised when the vendor said he forked out $3,000 for 3 booth sizes. That is for 2.5 days length. ?

I can not image how much the tower of T-shirts pay for their spot there !!

21 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Only big comic vendors like Harley can afford FEV high nosebleed prices on tables. My friend asked one comic vendor at FEV that question. I was surprised when the vendor said he forked out $3,000 for 3 booth sizes. That is for 2.5 days length. ?

I can not image how much the tower of T-shirts pay for their spot there !!

You have to pay to play, unfortunately. It costs the same for Calgary and Edmonton now, but those are 10x10 booths still, not 8x8. It is not that bad if you look at it from a $333/day per booth cost. As long as there are enough comic collectors to support decent sales (i.e. at least $5K/day) then it would be worth it.

6 hours ago, kimik said:

You have to pay to play, unfortunately. It costs the same for Calgary and Edmonton now, but those are 10x10 booths still, not 8x8. It is not that bad if you look at it from a $333/day per booth cost. As long as there are enough comic collectors to support decent sales (i.e. at least $5K/day) then it would be worth it.

$5,000 per day ($15,000 weekend) would be decent sales?