• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avenging Spiderman #9

144 posts in this topic

Hi

Is it Ok to pay 400$-450$ for an Avenging Spiderman #9 CGC 9.6 Signed and sketched by Terry Dodson?

Is it too much? Do you think the prizes of this comic are high now due to the hype of the new marvel movie? Should I wait? 

Thanks

13 hours ago, ucedaparker said:

Hi

Is it Ok to pay 400$-450$ for an Avenging Spiderman #9 CGC 9.6 Signed and sketched by Terry Dodson?

Is it too much? Do you think the prizes of this comic are high now due to the hype of the new marvel movie? Should I wait? 

Thanks

No, yes, yes, and yes

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

Nah you should be buying the Summer of Spider-Man Sampler while it is still less than 20 bucks a copy.

If promo items catch on, we might as well look at Previews and Comic Shop News. 2c

34 minutes ago, 500Club said:

If promo items catch on, we might as well look at Previews and Comic Shop News. 2c

:roflmao:where have you been?

Comic Shop News only has comic strips in it. This is a 5 page preview and it has the cover to Avenging #9 on the cover.

In 2016 Preacher Preview 9.8 hit its high of $1,150.

Also, you might want to check what Diamond Previews Jan. 2012 (Saga), Malibu Sun #13 (Spawn) and Diamond Previews March 1992 (Spawn) sell for.

58 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Except the Summer of Spider-Man Sampler is comic book sized. And comic book length. And has the character appearing in costume and talking in sequential art. And she is named. And she appears in costume on the cover. And the cover even calls it the introduction of the character. And the sampler has 9 slabbed copies compared to 687 for Avenging 9. When you consider all this, combined with the market depth of the character (hint: look at the total number of books she moves daily and not just her first appearance issues), and it is only a matter of time before the Eye of Sauron turns toward this book and it is three figures raw. This is the easiest buy and hold in modern comics. You should only be selling this book right now if you are zeroing out the costs of your initial investment in it.   

54 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
1 hour ago, 500Club said:

:roflmao:where have you been?

Comic Shop News only has comic strips in it. This is a 5 page preview and it has the cover to Avenging #9 on the cover.

In 2016 Preacher Preview 9.8 hit its high of $1,150.

Also, you might want to check what Diamond Previews Jan. 2012 (Saga), Malibu Sun #13 (Spawn) and Diamond Previews March 1992 (Spawn) sell for.

It’s an ancillary item at best.  I’m sure, for the new age, spec over substance guys like you, that’s a big deal, but for the core of the collecting community these are secondary items.  

My apologies for not disguising my contempt better. :foryou:

21 minutes ago, darkstar said:
1 hour ago, 500Club said:

Except the Summer of Spider-Man Sampler is comic book sized. And comic book length. And has the character appearing in costume and talking in sequential art. And she is named. And she appears in costume on the cover. And the cover even calls it the introduction of the character. And the sampler has 9 slabbed copies compared to 687 for Avenging 9. When you consider all this, combined with the market depth of the character (hint: look at the total number of books she moves daily and not just her first appearance issues), and it is only a matter of time before the Eye of Sauron turns toward this book and it is three figures raw. This is the easiest buy and hold in modern comics. You should only be selling this book right now if you are zeroing out the costs of your initial investment in it.   

I guess I can’t fault the logic of taking advantage of a sellable asset.

8 hours ago, 500Club said:

It’s an ancillary item at best.  I’m sure, for the new age, spec over substance guys like you, that’s a big deal, but for the core of the collecting community these are secondary items.  

"Guys like me", you mean the ones that still open and read comics? Yes my friend, a dying breed. 

Its not my fault that you don't have knowledge of what sells today.:facepalm:

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:
13 hours ago, 500Club said:

"Guys like me", you mean the ones that still open and read comics? Yes my friend, a dying breed. 

Its not my fault that you don't have knowledge of what sells today.:facepalm:

Listen, goulash, you`re the spec site denizen and hot trend bandwagon rider.   You must love `reading` three to five page pieces of story. :baiting:

These items sell, but to a small corner of the CBSI following, sports card mentality section of the hobby.  I don`t get asked for them at any of the shows we set up at.

34 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Listen, goulash, you`re the spec site denizen and hot trend bandwagon rider.   You must love `reading` three to five page pieces of story. :baiting:

These items sell, but to a small corner of the CBSI following, sports card mentality section of the hobby.  I don`t get asked for them at any of the shows we set up at.

You related the Spider-Man to Comic Shop News. You obviously didn't open the comic. I'm the one of the two of us that did.

I assume it's very easy to track the type of stuff you are selling. Thing is, I can pluck these type of books for $1 and make a large profit because I follow the hobby.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:
2 hours ago, 500Club said:

You related the Spider-Man to Comic Shop News. You obviously didn't open the comic. I'm the one of the two of us that did.

I assume it's very easy to track the type of stuff you are selling. Thing is, I can pluck these type of books for $1 and make a large profit because I follow the hobby.

The profit aspect is undeniable.

My argument is confined to railing against the tide of thinking that these items are cardinal collectibles rather than niche, ancilliary items.  It seems like there`s more and more spec sites and so called collectors foisting these off as `the key item` rather than the comic itself that is a character`s first appearance.

And, yeah, I did compare SoSM to Comic Shop News, as allusion to a trend.  If 3-5 page snippets of story in a preview pamphlet is treated as key, it`s a short trip to a CSN with a picture of a panel with the character predating the comic book appearance.

10 minutes ago, 500Club said:

My argument is confined to railing against the tide of thinking that these items are cardinal collectibles rather than niche, ancilliary items.  It seems like there`s more and more spec sites and so called collectors foisting these off as `the key item` rather than the comic itself that is a character`s first appearance.

And, yeah, I did compare SoSM to Comic Shop News, as allusion to a trend.  If 3-5 page snippets of story in a preview pamphlet is treated as key, it`s a short trip to a CSN with a picture of a panel with the character predating the comic book appearance.

Diamond Previews are already treated as much. A cover image is all you get. Yes, it may be a niche market. But that is also the way run collectors are going. So, do you want to change or just be mad about it?  :preach:

Edited by ygogolak

41 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
51 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Diamond Previews are already treated as much. A cover image is all you get. Yes, it may be a niche market. But that is also the way run collectors are going. So, do you want to change or just be mad about it?  :preach:

Read it again.  I`m fine with it as a niche market.  I have contempt for the trend that suggests these things should be more.  As a self proclaimed `reader of comics`, you can probably understand my desire to lean toward substance.

Edited by 500Club

3 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Read it again.  I`m fine with it as a niche market.  I have contempt for the trend that suggests these things should be more.  As a self proclaimed `reader of comics`, you can probably understand my desire to lean toward substance.

What I'm saying is everything is a niche market now, for resale of course. There are still people that get pulls. But everyone else is hunting; strictly keys, completing runs, cover artist collectors, rare / obscure comics, variants, etc...

It used to be you would buy keys or you would look for more issues of your favorite character(s).

32 minutes ago, 500Club said:

145 slabbed copies of the Preacher Preview 

194 slabbed copies of Malibu Sun

168 slabbed copies of Dime Press 4

That is quite the niche market. Not all promo items are the same nor are they treated as such by the market. Most of these promo items that get touted don't have all the things going for them that I listed above regarding the Spider-Man sampler. Those things matter. A lot.

A year from now we can compare the value generated between 400 dollars worth of Avenging Spider-Man 9 purchased today (the slab the OP mentioned) and 400 dollars worth of Summer of Spider-Man Sampler, which is currently roughly around 20 dollars a copy. 

5 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Most of these promo items that get touted don't have all the things going for them that I listed above regarding the Spider-Man sampler. Those things matter. A lot.

Bull:censored: It's just a few preview pages in a giveaway. It doesn't matter. At all.

It's all hype from losers who can't make money on the real thing so they have to find some cheap junk to promote as being special and hope people who don't know any better fall for it.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Bull:censored: It's just a few preview pages in a giveaway. It doesn't matter. At all.

It's all hype from losers who can't make money on the real thing so they have to find some cheap junk to promote as being special and hope people who don't know any better fall for it.

There is no need to be upset. 

DC Comics Presents #26 says :hi:

23 minutes ago, darkstar said:

I'm not. I'm just explaining reality.

4 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Anybody who references DCP 26 when talking about previews like this only proves how little they know. DC called those bonus stories "previews" but they were full, unique stories rather than simply a few pages from the real issue printed in advance.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
3 hours ago, darkstar said:

I'm not. I'm just explaining reality.

3 hours ago, darkstar said:

Anybody who references DCP 26 when talking about previews like this only proves how little they know. DC called those bonus stories "previews" but they were full, unique stories rather than simply a few pages from the real issue printed in advance.

You can be mad all you want, but there is no deny Summer of Spider-man  none and this comes from a person who gives grief on those type of appearances. She is in the book in both a 
splash page and multiple appearances. If anything I would be worried if I was holding Avenging Spider-man 9. 

Some of these other brief cameos and appearance I would be right there with you, but not this book. I bought every cheap copy I could find and will have no problem selling them.
I don't care who the buyer is.

Edited by fastballspecial