• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s your favorite bid?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

8 posts in and no one has said "my winning one" yet? This place really is dead :D

Sometimes, I'm ecstatic over losing...., :banana:  

:gossip: Especially after I discover some drunk, midnight bids....., 

2 hours ago, icefires said:

Oh, did you say bid?

I thought you said bud, and I was going to give you my list.

Sorry.

Purple Trainwreck? :insane:

9 hours ago, SeniorSurfer said:

I'll usually put some odd amount for the dollars and cents (46.84, 58.63) but also, odious as it might sound, at the last snipe-filled moment though keeping in mind the bottom-line number I don't want to exceed.

Way back when, if it was something I really wanted, I used to bid an outlandish sum and just expect it would win.  There was a great science fiction S&P set that I really wanted to get for my ex's birthday so I tried that stunt and still had to sweat it out at the end.  Theoretically I was almost assured of winning, but then some weasels came around nickel-and-diming and I just paid much more than what I would have normally.  In the end, the ex kept that S&P and I was lucky to escape with my comics.  Probably some kind of moral in there somewhere.

GavelSnipe.com - set it and forget it.

On 6/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, kav said:

I do have one friend that when he wants something on ebay he never loses.  Example an item was up to $300 so he sniped a bid of $5000.

I’ve always wanted to see two people do something like this on an item and see someone get stuck with paying an obscenely stupid amount of money for a book. 

Whatever walks up the bids... I do it early and often in the beginning. 

I also can sometimes tell when someone is bidding on a bunch of things that are alike.  Then I try to walk their bids up to their max so they are maxing out their money and go after the piece I really want the most with more gusto.   

Yes, this has worked. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Whatever walks up the bids... I do it early and often in the beginning. 

I also can sometimes tell when someone is bidding on a bunch of things that are alike.  Then I try to walk their bids up to their max so they are maxing out their money and go after the piece I really want the most with more gusto.   

Yes, this has worked. 

Except the time you walk up the bid on stuff you don't really want and end up winning doh!

2 hours ago, SuperZar said:

Except the time you walk up the bid on stuff you don't really want and end up winning doh!

It works enough for me that I keep doing it. 

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, lizards2 said:

Purple Trainwreck? :insane:

Aw yeah hybrids.  When I was in San Francisco I got some Wedding Cake with 30% thc, best I ever had.  I just went to the dispensary.  This is what it's like in Chicago...cubs.thumb.JPG.6c224ab5660c5f61489ad2b932a91d38.JPG

Edited by rat chew
Bad judgement

I had a NICE feeling bid this weekend. People were bidding up the item I wanted well in advance of the closing moments...resulting in the price hovering around FMV days prior to closing. Keep in mind I've been hunting for this particular book for many months, and I was CERTAIN there was a mob of folks waiting until the end to make their big play. I waited until the last 10 seconds for my snipe bid and, me being the non-disciplined individual I am, reluctantly went a few hundred more than I wanted to pay. To my surprise, the price only went up $25...and it closed a few hundred below my max bid. WOW...people ran it up early and then walked away. :applause: 

Edited by Callaway29

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I had a NICE feeling bid this weekend. People were bidding up the item I wanted well in advance of the closing moments...resulting in the price hovering around FMV days prior to closing. Keep in mind I've been hunting for this particular book for many months, and I was CERTAIN there was a mob of folks waiting until the end to make their big play. I waited until the last 10 seconds for my snipe bid and, me being the non-disciplined individual I am, reluctantly went a few hundred more than I wanted to pay. To my surprise, the price only went up $25...and it closed a few hundred below my max bid. WOW...people ran it up early and then walked away. :applause: 

12274462_10208309204513094_1422848551988

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, lizards2 said:

I do like bids that bump to fun numbers on eBay =- 3.08, 5.05, 6.16, 7.27, 8.38, 9.49, 10.61, 15.15, 16.16, 21.72, 25.66, 32.33, 43.44, 54.55, 65.66, 76.77, 87.88, 98.99, and 108.61.

That's usually how I'll bid an item. Either something like consecutive numbers -- 34.56, 32.10 or the same number repeatedly -- 33.33, 77.77.

On occasion, I've bid in Fibonacci numbers -- 21.34, 55.89, 112.35

I like to use song references - deviations of 2112, 2525 (In the year), 2000 (Light years from home). Either that or mathematic significance - 3.14, 6.626 (Plancks constant), etc.

But the Fibonacci  idea is great!

-bc