• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anybody ever seen this?

20 posts in this topic

This is a unique 80's book with all advertisements inside and some comics at the centerfold. Many years ago. like 10 or more years, I believe Ian Levine said something about this book but I don't remember. Anybody that knows anything about it please tell me. I just bought it because it looks cool.

Advertise 001.jpg

I have a copy - mine came from a DC editor, my copy was the one Ian became aware of and added it to his want list 

There are no comics at the centre - there is a double page Saturday cartoons ad (Unless they printed more than one version over the years?).

I don't know if Ian ever found a copy

Survival rate on this is likely to be low as there is virtually no reason for anyone at the time to have kept it

There used to be an entry for it on the Grand comic database but it seems to have gone - It didn't really qualify for inclusion anyway..

The full contents for anyone with a copy to compare with in case there are variants

Monogram "I'm Car-Azy" Free T-Shirt advert (IFC) - this has the only editorial material in the book as at the bottom of the page it has for advertising space contact details.

Saturday's the Place CBS advert (starting 15-09-84)

Huffy - crank  up the power of pro Thunder advert

Bonkers fruit candy advert

Frogger colecoVision advert

M&M's - Olympic Heroes trading cards advert

Bachmann a Powerhouse of fun advert

Bubble Yum unscramble the fun advert

Saturday Morning NBC double page advert (CF)

Revell - Think Dirty advert

Find your way to the Newtons advert

Reese's Pieces "Etagramulfabetz" advert

Honeycomb Cereal Sportstakes advert

Matchbox 3 pack (75 free puffy Stickers) advert

Masters Of The Universe Videogame Intellivision advert

Noxzeme Acne 21 advert

Nabisco Brands: How to write with a candy bar advert (IBC)

Kenner: Super Powers advert (BC)

11 minutes ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

Thank U David Buck and Rock my Amadeus. Great information. I specialize in rare comics so it looks like I picked a great one!

Extremely rare especially considering it's recent vintage - this is only the 3rd. copy I've heard of - this will be a useful opportunity to learn of any more.

41 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

I love that artwork. First time seeing that cover. But the art just feels familiar.

I did see it on the bay as part of a mid eighties dc style guide set - it's also reused on the outer card cover for the Kenner Super Powers Toyfair giveaway ( also very scarce )

see here for examples:

https://atomicavenue.com/atomic/issue/329675/Super-Powers-1st-Series-5-Variation

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=83484802592 1

Edited by David Buck

2 minutes ago, David Buck said:

I did see it on ebay as part of a mid eighties dc style guide set - it's also reused on the outer card cover for the Kenner Super Powers Toyfair giveaway;

see here for an example:

https://atomicavenue.com/atomic/issue/329675/Super-Powers-1st-Series-5-Variation

If the artist did the artwork for the toy packaging then that's probably it. I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks.

2 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

If the artist did the artwork for the toy packaging then that's probably it. I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks.

You know, they say that Alex Saviuk did the art for that...and it's possible....I don't think Kirby was involved...but it looks a lot more like Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez to me. 

hm

Could be wrong.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:26 PM, David Buck said:

I did see it on the bay as part of a mid eighties dc style guide set - it's also reused on the outer card cover for the Kenner Super Powers Toyfair giveaway ( also very scarce )

see here for examples:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=83484802592 1

Was about to say! That deffo reminded me of that Super Powers special. I was after one for awhile till someone listed a few copies 2-3 years ago on the bay  

On 6/16/2018 at 4:31 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

You know, they say that Alex Saviuk did the art for that...and it's possible....I don't think Kirby was involved...but it looks a lot more like Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez to me. 

hm

Could be wrong.

Nailed it.

11 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

One selling on eBay right now;

The seller has sold 2 others in the past so they may be sitting on a bunch. 

36 years later.  It's always wacky when these kinds of things happen. lol