• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Auction starting to look pretty good

48 posts in this topic

At this time - only 46 pieces listed - but some great ones for sure.

Been a fan of the Iron Man/ Subby cover since I wad a teen . Too bad I didnt pick the right profession to be able to afford it. The amazing Spiderman Dock Ock cover is pretty sweet too.

see everything so far with the link below.

link to the auction here

The auction is underway and it is a doozy, talk about 80’s grail art; a Watchmen cover, Batman 426 DITF cover and the first Killing Joke Page to be sold at auction in a few years. I am expecting the bidding on all three of these pieces to be wars.

Along with a lot of other 80’s pieces I am betting the auction is going to hit a lot of collectors nostalgic era hard.

I have been conserving funds and am hoping to bring a piece or two home.

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

The auction is underway and it is a doozy, talk about 80’s grail art; a Watchmen cover, Batman 426 DITF cover and the first Killing Joke Page to be sold at auction in a few years. I am expecting the bidding on all three of these pieces to be wars.

Along with a lot of other 80’s pieces I am betting the auction is going to hit a lot of collectors nostalgic era hard.

I have been conserving funds and am hoping to bring a piece or two home.

I am watching several pieces in this one, could be my chance to land a much desired piece.  I haven't picked up a piece of OA other than my Peanuts strip in over 3 years.

18 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Pre-auction estimates cited in a Fine Books Magazine internet article:

John Romita Sr. Amazing Spider-Man #55 Cover Doctor Octopus Original Art (Marvel, 1967) (est. $100,000+)

The Spidey's are just stats.  That seems a bit much for just a closeup of Ock's face. 

Already at 55K.  I guess Spidey fans are hungry for twice up covers?

21 hours ago, Bronty said:

I think the only ones that are high, really, are the KJ page and the watchmen.   The rest seem either ballpark or low. 

The own of the Watchmen cover dangled it on the Facebook message boards first, before eventually putting it up at Heritage, That sold for about $40K a several years ago, I think. So it will be interesting to see where it ends up.

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

That just looks so weird to me...Cap's awkward cowboy stance, the super-heavily weighted outline of his body, his bulbous head... :eek:

Other people seem to really like it, though. :foryou: 

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

That just looks so weird to me...Cap's awkward cowboy stance, the super-heavily weighted outline of his body, his bulbous head... :eek:

Well, I guess that means one less deep pocketed bidder for it. (thumbsu

For those wondering:

Original Comic Art:Splash Pages, Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Tales of Suspense #60 Splash Page1 Captain America Original Art (...

Edited by PhilipB2k17

20 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

The Spidey's are just stats.  That seems a bit much for just a closeup of Ock's face. 

Already at 55K.  I guess Spidey fans are hungry for twice up covers?

Well, even the worst twice-up Spidey cover is going to be 6-figures, so I'm sure at $55K and under, people are happily thrill-bidding and putting in watch bids without fear of actually getting stuck with it. 

But, yeah, this one will almost surely end somewhere in the $100Ks, putting another nail in the coffin of The Cabal's "all twice-up Spidey covers are $200K+ now" narrative. 

Edited by delekkerste

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Well, even the worst twice-up Spidey cover is going to be 6-figures, so I'm sure at $55K and under, people are happily thrill-bidding and putting in watch bids without fear of actually getting stuck with it. 

But, yeah, this one will almost surely end somewhere in the $100Ks, putting another nail in the coffin of The Cabal's "all twice-up Spidey covers are $200K+ now" b.s. narrative. 

Since you're reading through this thread, Gene, I wondered if this Paul Smith Doctor Strange #56 page activates your nostalgia Spidey-senses like it does mine. I know you and I have right about the same nostalgia era.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paul-smith-and-terry-austin-doctor-strange-56-page-16-original-art-marvel-1982-/a/7189-92200.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by PhilipB2k17

10 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Since you're reading through this thread, Gene, I wondered if this Paul Smith Doctor Strange #56 page activates your nostalgia Spidey-senses like it does mine. I know you and I have right about the same nostalgia era.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paul-smith-and-terry-austin-doctor-strange-56-page-16-original-art-marvel-1982-/a/7189-92200.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Love the art, but, Doctor Strange was not one of the titles I was reading back then.  So, I don't have any direct nostalgia for that page other than being a big fan of Paul Smith's art from this era (not going after the page, though).

25 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Love the art, but, Doctor Strange was not one of the titles I was reading back then.  So, I don't have any direct nostalgia for that page other than being a big fan of Paul Smith's art from this era (not going after the page, though).

Fair enough. I actually got started on Doctor Strange at the time precisely because Paul Smith was doing the art. And I think the first Smith issue was #56. Like you, I was a huge Paul Smith fan from his X-Men work.

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Cowboy stance?  Is that a thing?

(Love the splash by the way)!

On 7/12/2018 at 11:26 AM, delekkerste said:

If you are a fan of TOS though, its a nice splash.   Its very early in the title (more memorable as a result) and its got a big bold shot of cap, cowboy notwithstanding.   

Edited by Bronty