• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Auction starting to look pretty good

48 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

If you are a fan of TOS though, its a nice splash.   Its very early in the title (more memorable as a result) and its got a big bold shot of cap, cowboy notwithstanding.   

Would have been a lot better if inked by Giacoia or Sinnott, IMO.  Stone inks over Kirby pencils works for me on early Avengers, X-Men and JIM where you compare him to Paul Reinman and Vince Colletta on those titles.  Less successful on FF where he is better than Roussos but his style doesn't have the rough charm of early Ayers or the polish of Sinnott who followed.  On TOS, I think his more-suited-to-early Silver Age inking style compares unfavorably against Giacoia and Sinnott. 2c 

I’m not disagreeing Gene, I get your comment.   It may not be ideal image wise, but it’s passable, and early.    Early counts for something at least to me.   

Id call it on par with a somewhat better image from a later issue.

Edited by Bronty

17 hours ago, Bronty said:

I’m not disagreeing Gene, I get your comment.   It may not be ideal image wise, but it’s passable, and early.    Early counts for something at least to me.   

Id call it on par with a somewhat better image from a later issue.

From a story that has reprinted many times, too

7 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:
8 hours ago, tth2 said:

How much did the Moon Knight 7 cover sell for on ComicConnect as part of the Berk collection a few years ago?

$12,400 dollars.

Thanks! 

20 hours ago, Bronty said:

If you are a fan of TOS though, its a nice splash.   Its very early in the title (more memorable as a result) and its got a big bold shot of cap, cowboy notwithstanding.   

For me this is a near-perfect Kirby splash for any book or era. Cowboy stance?!? That's classic Jack! Stone at his best, which this is, was one of the best inkers Kirby ever had, superior to the earlier Sinnott. Cap's face looks like a Kirby face, the line weights are bold and varied nearly to Royer standards. Unfortunately my wife has expressed strong disagreement with my second mortgage idea for aquisition of this masterwork, so it's all yours, Scott Williams.

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

How much did the Moon Knight 7 cover sell for on ComicConnect as part of the Berk collection a few years ago?

Incidentally, the Berk auction was just last summer, not a few years ago. 

Edited by delekkerste

Is this the final published version of Mignola's work being offered?

Was this question ever satisfactorily answered in a previous thread?

Are the STATS original or are they DONNELLY BROS.?

Which of our FAVORITE original comic book art dealers had the 'unpublished' verison? Was it BURKEY??...

lf (1).jpg

Edited by First Upgrade

39 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

Is this the final published version of Mignola's work being offered?

Was this question ever satisfactorily answered in a previous thread?

Are the STATS original or are they DONNELLY BROS.?

Which of our FAVORITE original comic book art dealers had the 'unpublished' verison? Was it BURKEY??...

Stats are not original.

They are after- production, and were pasted on! WTF?

6 hours ago, drdroom said:

For me this is a near-perfect Kirby splash for any book or era. Cowboy stance?!? That's classic Jack! Stone at his best, which this is, was one of the best inkers Kirby ever had, superior to the earlier Sinnott. Cap's face looks like a Kirby face, the line weights are bold and varied nearly to Royer standards. Unfortunately my wife has expressed strong disagreement with my second mortgage idea for aquisition of this masterwork, so it's all yours, Scott Williams.

Agreed, Chic Stone’s inks are awesome on this splash, and his thick figure outline inks really resonates with me because I associate them with “early Marvel” covers.  This one is far superior to the other TOS splash!

1 hour ago, Mr. Machismo said:

They tend to do that. That’s a deal breaker for me. 

Non-original stats is a deal breaker? Or that they were pasted on? 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Non-original stats is a deal breaker? Or that they were pasted on? 

Non-original stats, even pasted-on (as long as it was done in an archival manner), would not be a dealbreaker for me.  

Batman looking frumpy, about 60 lbs. overweight, and with a womp wompppp look on his face...yeah, that's a dealbreaker for me.  I mean, OK, if this had been the cover to #429 after Jason Todd had died in the previous issue, and Bruce Wayne had spent the next year in the storyline drinking a bottle of cheap tequila and eating six pints of Haagen-Daz every night, then I could understand Batman looking like this. 

I know it's Mignola, but, man, I never liked this cover at all.  

12 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Non-original stats, even pasted-on (as long as it was done in an archival manner), would not be a dealbreaker for me.  

Me neither. The Stats, being "stats" were never "original" to begin with, replacing what is essentially a Xerox copy with another Xerox copy doesn't impact the piece's desirability at all. 

It's got to be done right, and frankly I prefer replacement stats to be placed on a mylar overlay, but there's nothing about replacing someone non-original with something non-original that kills the piece for me. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Pasted on. A Mignola Batman piece is great. A Mignola / Donnellys collaboration can burn.

I like art, not arts and crafts. Just a personal preference. 

Yes, pasting them on is problematic. Even originally, most pieces from the Bronze Age and before especially, have rubber cement stains all over them from the process used at the time. 

If someone wants to replace the stats it's fine, as long as they are faithfully done, carefully executed, and respectful to the long term health of the piece's condition. 

I don't have it in front of me, but my recollection is that the splash from TOS 60 is not an image of the "real" Captain America but rather someone disguised as him.  Anyone have any thoughts on whether that makes any difference?  Thanks.