• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone Woke up on the wrong side of the bed....

14 posts in this topic

I picked this x-men 43 already graded off ebay last week when they had the 20% off sale.... it was already graded obviously, for the life of me I can not see what takes this book down to a 9.0. Could it just be the creme/off white pages?? Did the grader not have his coffee? A fight with his wife? LOL

Thinking about cracking it and resubmitting... has nay one had experience doing that?

IMG_9510.jpg

IMG_9511 (1).jpg

Magneto looks like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed on that cover, yeesh. Really, though, I assume you're being facetious about the grader not having his coffee, etc. as I'm sure the graders are far more professional than to have a bad day and let it affect their work like that, so I'd just buy the grader's notes to find out why rather than speculate. I understand that the book looks really nice, the Bats 181 in my sig looks like a 9.4-9.6 to me, but it's a 9.0, too. After reading the grader's notes, I still think it's harsh, but whatev. I got a book that looks like it's about $7000 more than what I paid, so I'm good. 

49 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Magneto looks like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed on that cover, yeesh. Really, though, I assume you're being facetious about the grader not having his coffee, etc. as I'm sure the graders are far more professional than to have a bad day and let it affect their work like that, so I'd just buy the grader's notes to find out why rather than speculate. I understand that the book looks really nice, the Bats 181 in my sig looks like a 9.4-9.6 to me, but it's a 9.0, too. After reading the grader's notes, I still think it's harsh, but whatev. I got a book that looks like it's about $7000 more than what I paid, so I'm good. 

Yes mostly joking around... I was thinking about buying the notes but my true question I guess is lost in my humor can the paper alone bring it out of 9.2+

I just sent in some moderns, and two from 2015 came back 9.0... your 9.0 looks like a 6.0 in comparison to what I sent in, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth :nyah:

I would definitely not crack that.

7 hours ago, eddly said:

Could be due to a stain that you can't really see... finger prints... indents...

There could also be an internal issue that (obviously) we can't see. The pic makes the back look a little shabby, even dirty(?) along the bottom edge. Does it look that way in hand?

Edited by Jerkfro

From what I can see from the blurry pictures, the book appears to have issues with dust/dirt shadows, light fioxing and possibly tanning. Higher resolution scans would be helpful, but without them or notes it is more of an educated guess. 

7 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Yes mostly joking around... I was thinking about buying the notes but my true question I guess is lost in my humor can the paper alone bring it out of 9.2+

The answer is a definite yes. However, paper quality usually doesn't play a huge role in determining the grade until you reach the upper levels of the grading spectrum (VF/NM or above). But if the pages are slightly brittle or brittle, it can drastically reduce the grade. Another factor would be with the cover itself. Generally speaking, a book that has been given the "Cream to Off-White" page designation usually has some form of tanning or "age-toning" to the interior or exterior of the cover, especially the edges of the cover. I can clearly see in your scan that this does appear to be the case with your book. If you can see it from the outside, it's probably more pronounced on the inside.  :preach:

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

From what I can see from the blurry pictures, the book appears to have issues with dust/dirt shadows, light fioxing and possibly tanning. Higher resolution scans would be helpful, but without them or notes it is more of an educated guess. 

Yea I was rushing... i think some of the shadow is my partially blocking the light from behind. I will try to get better pics