• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action #1 And Captain America Comics #1 eBay Auctions
4 4

57 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

There is a very tiny number of individuals who can participate in that stratosphere of the market (and I'm not one of them), so it's pretty hard to establish much in the way of "rules" for sales that occur a year apart, different venues, different grading companies, etc.  Restoration throws an even bigger variable into the mix, since universal condition is already a "no two are alike" scenario, and all the different restoration techniques are even more varied than all the types of regular wear-and-tear.

In other words, I don't know what I'm talking about lol )... that is, I don't know what the market should really be on any given six-figure restored book, but I'm pretty sure that the statement that "3rd party would say 0.5" means that a 3rd party did say that.  The seller deslabbed (or bought it deslabbed) and is trying for a better outcome.

(thumbsu

23 minutes ago, woowoo said:

(thumbsu

Did Pawn Stars list it?:sumo: Chumley gets on my nerves.

3 hours ago, woowoo said:

I don't think it was cgc they say

( Action #1 is missing the centerfold. The next wrap is also detached and split down the middle. Restoration includes: Color Touch on inside cover. Piece fill and support to cover. Cover cleaned. Staples replaced. Restoration would be in the 4 extent range. 3rd party grading would call this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced )(shrug)

precisely! If the book is going to get a .5 or NG incomplete since it's missing the centerfold and has restoration what's the point in certifying it?

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

33 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

3rd party grading would call this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced )(shrug)

shouldnt this be 

3rd party grading might call this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced ) ?

because no one can say for certain what 3rd party grading 'would' do....

Conversely, if it was graded and deslabbed shouldnt it say 

3rd party grading called this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced )(shrug)

Ps they should have put "CGC it" in the listing!  

Edited by kav

31 minutes ago, kav said:

shouldnt this be 

3rd party grading might call this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced ) ?

because no one can say for certain what 3rd party grading 'would' do....

Conversely, if it was graded and deslabbed shouldnt it say 

3rd party grading called this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced )(shrug)

Not exactly.  First, if you slab something, deslab it, and send it in again you might get the same grade.  Secondly, reporting what a 3rd party grading company called something after you've deslabbed it is like saying someone has been called a virgin in the past.  You might also call them a virgin today, but being called a virgin in the past doesn't mean much about the present.  Except, maybe, in the world of comic book collectors. :acclaim:

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Not exactly.  First, if you slab something, deslab it, and send it in again you might get the same grade.  Secondly, reporting what a 3rd party grading company called something after you've deslabbed it is like saying someone has been called a virgin in the past.  You might also call them a virgin today, but being called a virgin in the past doesn't mean much about the present.  Except, maybe, in the world of comic book collectors. :acclaim:

I'm going to message sparkle city and have them pull the listing and create new, revised listing.

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But, I want my thrill bid to be recorded forever! :tonofbricks:

If making ommelete, necessary break egg

Screenshot 2018-06-15 at 4.05.15 PM.png

They do say this in the listing:

Q: Has this book been CGC or CBCS graded?
A: We did not ever submit this book for grading. We do not believe it was ever graded by a 3rd party grader.

Q: Why didn't you CGC/CBCS this comic book?
A: We saw no reason to have this book encapsulated in a plastic case where the buyer can't see the pages or touch the actual book. We believe that a book like this should be appreciated in it's natural state. Given that this is not a brittle book or ultra high grade copy, we feel that the protection offered by encapsulation is not necessary. We wanted to be the first to publicly auction a raw Action Comics #1 in almost a decade!

11 hours ago, comicquant said:

Incredible books to put up on feebay thanks for posting. I will watch with curiosity.   

7 hours ago, woowoo said:

(thumbsu

The biggest reasons to keep something in a slab are 1) so everybody knows how it was graded and 2) to make sure it doesn't get a lower grade from handling, and 3) to assure people it's "real" (as in not a counterfeit).   If a book is already graded as low as it can possibly be graded, then there's little to no incentive to keep it slabbed in service of 1) or 2) especially if you believe the book is not the absolute worst that a book can possibly be.  If major portions of the book are not recreated with crayon and it is not literally crumbling, or missing the most important parts of the book, or literally stinks of cat pee so bad that it cannot be held or read, then you may as crack it out because it's already graded as bad as a book with all those other detriments, and there is literally no distinction on the label or any attempt by the label to distinguish your book and the recreated with crayon brittle missing chunks and cat pee book.

Edited by bluechip

That Cap #1 does look great and is probably circling in on its selling price too (unless somebody goes nuts) seeing as how the 7.5 Cap #1 in this week's CC auction went for 257K.

Also worth noting is that its label has "Very minor amount of color touch on cover.  Very minor amount of glue on cover" but it gets the "GA Pass" and resides in a Universal label.  I've opened a magic marker in a different room from a Nexus #28 and it comes back with a POD and C3 description.

The winner can have sparkle city  send it for grading (for peace of mind) and then send the slabbed version to the winner.  The winner can deslab if he wants to enjoy it raw.  Slabbing fee not that much relative to value of the book