• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back when Pitt was it

10 posts in this topic

I have read multiple posts about there being two lines of people buying comics on the day Superman #75 came out, with the 2nd line being for Bloodshot #1.  I had just assumed that Bloodshot #1 would have been the 2nd highest selling comic that month.  I just found that the Wiki page for Pitt (comics) cites Wizard as putting Pitt #1 at 2nd highest selling comic that month, so I checked Comichron and he has it listed as Pitt #0 (not #1).  I remember Image books were notoriously late, but I don't think that impacted the sales records (unless they did a cancel and resolicit), and I don't remember the #0 thing for Pitt.  Maybe Pitt #1 was delayed and wasn't available the day Superman #75 came out, but the discussions of the "most historic day in Copper Age comic history" (or days, depending on new comic day by region that week) haven't mentioned Pitt at all.

Does anyone remember what's up with that?  I remember Pitt being a big deal, sharp-teeth-Hulk-with-heavy-metal-hair, but I don't remember it being second behind Superman #75. hm

Edited by valiantman

GCD doesn't list a Pitt #0. According to Mike's Amazing World, Pitt #1 went on sale January 15 1993 and Superman #75 went on sale on November 17 1992, both of them having January 1993 cover dates. Bloodshot #1 is said to have gone on sale 12 November 1992, with a February 1993 cover date. Hard to believe a comic written by Kevin VanHook and drawn by Don Perlin was ever hot.

16 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

GCD doesn't list a Pitt #0. According to Mike's Amazing World, Pitt #1 went on sale January 15 1993 and Superman #75 went on sale on November 17 1992, both of them having January 1993 cover dates. Bloodshot #1 is said to have gone on sale 12 November 1992, with a February 1993 cover date. Hard to believe a comic written by Kevin VanHook and drawn by Don Perlin was ever hot.

lol  No, what's hard to believe is that the Bloodshot movie will star Vin Diesel. :devil:

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

lol  No, what's hard to believe is that the Bloodshot movie will star Vin Diesel. :devil:

I definitely did not see that following through to the end either....

5 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Bloodshot #1 and Superman #75 did come out the same week. Dunno why Mike has it listed the week earlier. 

There is no Pitt #0, and I don't remember Pitt #1 selling the same week as the other two.

The US Copyright Office doesn't give much help, but it does note that issue #1 was "published" on 1/1/93...and that #2 was published on 7/1/93, but that's probably what was reported to them by cover date.

That's all the info it has.

Ugh...the massive amounts of money Dale Keown threw away by not being disciplined. Had he put out 12 monthly issues in 1993, instead of TWO bi-annual issues, probably cost him $1,000,000. Dumb.

1 hour ago, 500Club said:

Maybe more.  Word was, he banked $1M on Pitt 1 alone, then retreated to his Fortress of Solitude in Grande Prairie to focus on his band. :frown:

Strike while the iron is hot certainly would’ve applied here.

If he did what made him happy, there's no argument against that. That's the only thing that matters.

But talk about an opportunity wasted...

And the sad thing is, it's not like he wasn't used to a monthly schedule. He worked on the Hulk for almost three years on a monthly schedule, with only a handful of fill-in issues (#368, #378, #380.)

I've gotta get to work on that Keown Hulk SS 9.8 run. Maybe I'll even sign a 393 myself. ;) 

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If he did what made him happy, there's no argument against that. That's the only thing that matters.

And the sad thing is, it's not like he wasn't used to a monthly schedule. He worked on the Hulk for almost three years on a monthly schedule, with only a handful of fill-in issues (#368, #378, #380.)

I've gotta get to work on that Keown Hulk SS 9.8 run. Maybe I'll even sign a 393 myself. ;) 

I’m not sure how old he was at the time, but I suspect he did indeed do what made him happy.   I picture Uncle Scrooge in the vault, doing the backstroke in a hefty pile of bills. :grin:

Given that he’s back doing incentive covers for Marvel, though, I suspect he’d agree with many of us of experience and vintage - ‘if I knew then what I know now...’ :grin:

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Pretty good info you've provided.  Just to add, Dale did not illustrate Hulk 394...that issue was illustrated by Andrew Wildman.

Dale's run on Hulk started with issue #367 (publication date = Mar 1990), and ended with issue 398 (publication date = Oct 1992).  Within that 2.5 year timeframe, Dale missed illustrating 4 of a possible 30 issues.  I will state (and this is my personal opinion so yours may vary) that Dale is by far the best Hulk artist we have ever seen.  Sure, you may have been weaned on Trimpe or Buscema Hulk, but their interpretation of the character falls flat in comparison.

I only wish he would have stuck around for issue #400...I think it would have been, dare I say, Incredible!

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Dale did not illustrate Hulk 394...that issue was illustrated by Andrew Wildman.

Yup...forgot about that one, thanks.

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Within that 2.5 year timeframe, Dale missed illustrating 4 of a possible 30 issues.

32. ;)

And I agree with you. Keown was the artist on the book when I picked up my first new issue...#370, for the record. ;)