• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

investment views?

9 posts in this topic

So I thought I would get peoples view on the issue I have with buying an investment comic First of all I have over 5k comics in my collection and have been collecting for over 25 years, so I’m not just in it for the money (just to try and stop an potential abuse). Secondly this is aimed at people who have views on future investment values (just to try and stop the “I collect what I like and don’t worry” repliers)

Once every few years I splash out and buy a key comic at a reasonable price specifically aimed at the future value as part of my investments pot, anywhere between $1k and $10k. Because of my choices and the prices increases seen in the last decade or so I’ve been fortunate enough to bank quite a bit with buys such as AF15, FF1, Hulk1, WD1, TMNT1, XM1 etc. This time I have about $7k tops to spend. The 3 I’m looking at are either TOS39, JTM 83 or ASM 1. All 3 are safe bets and cant see them going down, but what do you think is the best value. Prices are raising and I don’t want to hang around too much. I’m looking at holding on to these at least 10 years so its all about the long haul not what film is coming out next year. For me it’s all about if its a key issue, an important established character and scarcity. I am however open to other suggestions?

The fly in the ointment here is that I’m looking at is diversifying and going with a CGC signature star wars. I’m thinking of spending a fair bit on a cast signed (yes that MUST include Harrison Ford) signed dark horse comic. These seem to be going up at quite a fast rate and even quicker since Carrie Fisher passed away. I would never spend money on a current film that may not have future longevity (say the recent DC films which could be less kindly viewed about by future generations) but think star wars is about as solid a film as you can get. At celebrity authentics a cast signed comic they sold for 2k little more than 2 years ago just went in auction for over 5k. I mean the same one with the same signatures and in auction so didn’t need a one off fanatic to over pay! Do people think that the value of standard key comics will slow off in future years (keys I’m talking about mind not something that is worth $20 now) or do you think the raise will continue at close to current rate? Would you consider the authentic autograph route instead, which let’s be honest that’s what this would be, it’s not really about the low value comic here its all about most autographs on the market being fake and CGC offer one of the few as near as you can 100% guaranteed authentic, making it attractive to collectors outside comics. 

Let me know your views

Edited by Casey Ryback
spelling error

ASM 1 over the others.

And I think Star Wars CGC SS has less upside than old DC keys (but really another AF15 is probably even better).  BUT if you must get a Star Wars CGC SS, make sure everyone who signs is prominently pictured on the cover.

38 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

since it is purely for investment value you should buy the book with the most potential upswing. None of the books on your list IMHO. Buy another copy of AF15.

I got my CGC4 AF15 for 6k 6 years ago but I think for 7k Ive missed the boat now unless I take a very low 1 or .5 restored?

1 minute ago, Casey Ryback said:

I got my CGC4 AF15 for 6k 6 years ago but I think for 7k Ive missed the boat now unless I take a very low 1 or .5 restored?

yes or save up a little more and buy a higher grade.

TOS39 is a great key that always has strong demand, and unlike ASM1, it has not shot up in the last year. it is just now starting to move upwards, and you can still obtain a very nice looking copy for 7k. this won't last much longer, so i would get one of those. it's the first appearance of a hugely popular character, unlike ASM1. i would stay away from cream colored pages if getting one. i don't know anything about the signature market so cannot comment on your star wars book purchase option. 

Very good response to this question...well done!  :golfclap:

Since I deal primarily with Silver Age material, I can't really comment on the new titles. But for my money, most of the early Fantastic Four books have jumped significantly in price in the last few years, specifically FF #48 and 52. And of course issues 1- 20 are always in demand. The TOS #39 is intriguing because there aren't as many of them around as some of the other early Marvel keys...it has potential. 

And you can still get a nice Vampirella #1 for around a thousand bucks, which for me has always been an excellent investment.  (thumbsu