• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed ASM #1 on ebay not restored???
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Ok, so it's totally possible I was asleep and missed some changes in CGC grading rules, but this ASM #1 on eBay has me puzzled:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-CGC-2-0-1963-1ST-J-JAMESON-1ST-FANTASTIC-FOUR-CROSSOVER/153062457232?hash=item23a33bbf90:g:nksAAOSw9ENZl-Eg:sc:USPSPriority!75028!US!-1

It's a blue label with tape on the spine.  There is no note on the CGC label about the tape, and on the top of the label it reads "Cover trimmed."  Since when did CGC stop noting the presence of tape and since when is it not a purple label for trimmed covers?

22 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Ok, so it's totally possible I was asleep and missed some changes in CGC grading rules, but this ASM #1 on eBay has me puzzled:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-CGC-2-0-1963-1ST-J-JAMESON-1ST-FANTASTIC-FOUR-CROSSOVER/153062457232?hash=item23a33bbf90:g:nksAAOSw9ENZl-Eg:sc:USPSPriority!75028!US!-1

It's a blue label with tape on the spine.  There is no note on the CGC label about the tape, and on the top of the label it reads "Cover trimmed."  Since when did CGC stop noting the presence of tape and since when is it not a purple label for trimmed covers?

zzz

Edited by The Lions Den
Edited response

9 hours ago, Finhead said:

Maybe it would be prudent for someone that routinely calls and talks to the CGC personnel to ask if trimming is no longer considered restoration? Technically, it isn't restoration, since the cutting away of part of it is not "restoring ithe whole". Most do share my belief that trimming is not restoration. It's actually contrary to the meaning of the word. So is it possible that this is the new shape of things to come? And trimming doesn't fall into the "restored" category with the other books categorized as restored?

On 6/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, Finhead said:

Hmmm...some of these were graded 3 and 4 years ago?  I'm pretty sure books have been getting purple labels for trimmed since then too.  I don't understand! :cry:

I had this blue label trimmed pass through my hands. When I sold it on ebay I mentioned the trimming in the title and gave this caveat: 

"CGC QC must have returned from a liquid lunch or something before checking this one through."

vault013.thumb.jpg.a5d2c5330cfa8b70f718f7da751a8175.jpg

18 hours ago, faster friends said:

I can see that. Where they would just downgrade for the trimming and leave it a blue label.

For lack of having the exact answer from the CGC, I would think this would make perfect sense. Trimming isn't restoration. It's butchery. It's in the same class of defect as if a rodent chewed off the edge of a book. It is deliberate. It's a deliberate attempt to improve the appearance by cutting away defects rather than restoring them, so in that respect, it is anti-restoration. The opposite of restoration. So technically, a trimmed book is not restored. It's had sections cut away much like if someone clipped a coupon out of a back cover or made paper dolls out of it with a scissors.

But most trimmed books do have other things done to them that do fall under the classification of restoration. Usually, when you look at a purple label, and the word trimmed appears on it, that word is mentioned separately and apart from other restoration language, like colortouch, tear sealed, cleaned, etc., etc. which are all most definitely restoration methods.

It seems to me that if a book is only trimmed, which is not restoration, unless there are restoration procedures also performed on the book, colortouch, glue, etc., it's subject to getting a blue label because it has, indeed, not been restored, thus the purple label not appropriate.

I hope someone from the CGC may weigh in on if I'm on or off-base here.

To recap:

Only trimmed = unrestored (Blue label)

Trimmed + restoration procedures (i.e. colortouch, etc.) = restored (Purple label)

Edited by James J Johnson