• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Heroes Convention Report
1 1

110 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2018 at 3:34 PM, F For Fake said:

Agreed, maybe 1Cool just stumbled upon a bad Waffle House, but in general they are terrific. They cook real food, live in front of you on the griddle. Fresh made, greasy and delicious. Their waffles are a delicacy!

I like to order from waitresses with front teeth who aren't on Meth.  Just my humble opinion

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

I like to order from waitresses with front teeth who aren't on Meth.  Just my humble opinion

Har har.

Ok, you elitists enjoy yourselves.

22 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Do many modern con attendees really bring large rolls of cash (e.g., > $1000) with them to Big City conventions?  Do many (all?) dealers prefer cash transactions?  Has anyone ever seen a customer (i.e., not another dealer) hand over, say, $5000 - $50,000 in cash at a convention for a major purchase?

Plus, I hear that the young folk are all about the convenience of their mobile banking apps, debit cards, etc., these days. 

When damn near everyone (except me) has a smart phone, and when money can be zapped into a bank account securely and instantaneously (and not held in non-theft-proof pockets, zippered money bags, or cash boxes), what's the downside? 

Usurious fees?  Unreliable connections at shows?  Unwanted electronic "paper trails"?  Buyer protections afforded to credit card users? 

Buyers are clearly shouldering more risk in cash-only transactions.  Is that the appeal?  You pays your $$ and takes yer chances (i.e., that the discount will outweigh the potential for undetected restoration, etc.)?

I guess I've become too much of an old f@rt: got no appetite for the hustle and flow, nor any desire to fumble around with a big wad of bills to get an extra 10% off.

Then again, I haven't been to a comic book show, large or small, in nearly three years, and have no plans to attend any in the future.  So who cares what I think? :screwy:

I bring cash (anywhere from $2K up to $4K) when I'm book hunting at Heroes.  Most of the books I'm looking for now start at the $100+ price point and I would rather pay with cash then pay with credit when possible.   I'm still old fashion enough to where I pay all my bills via check.  I don't do online bill pay and only use my debit card at a few select stores.  Otherwise I pay cash when we go out to eat or go shopping.  Too many places getting hacked for me to trust using my debit card at most stores and while my CC offers more protections; I only use it when I have too or for major purchases.

Psy 

This was the weirdest Heroes yet for me.  I've been coming for years and I typically drop off a CGC universal order, get some Signature Series, set up and pick up several commissions, and look for some books that fill some holes in the collection.  I wound up having to work Friday so not arriving until Saturday my game-plan completely changed.  I walked in and immediately dropped off my universal CGC order before the line got crazy. Next stop, dropped off 50 books with ComicLink and got my advance that basically gave me my funds for the show.  I then picked up two left over original art commissions from prior years shows (one from the previous and one from 2 years prior) that the artists finally got around to finishing.  From there I was going to try and pick up a couple of keys but I ran by the Hero Initiative booth and started talking to Adam Warren.  Next thing I knew I bought an original art cover from him and more or less blew through my budget for the books I was planning on buying (sorry guys!).  I walked around and visited a few people, took some pictures and ate some Fuel.  The auction that night was the same as always, and I don't know why I continue to go to it. Sometimes there are a few deals but for the most part everything goes for outrageous pricing. I sat there with my laptop and edited pictures while it was going on. The Calvin and Hobbes piece going to Tony Harris was interesting for sure, but that's a whole other conversation.  The next morning I woke up early and decided instead of waiting three hours for the show to open I would just drive home and spend Fathers' day with my kids so I did. 

Longer story short, I think if I don't line everything up ahead of time commission-wise I'm screwed by Saturday so not much point.  NO Signature series this time. I'm glad I made Adam Warren's show by buying that cover, he said so himself, but it meant I wasn't going to be grabbing some books I was hoping to pick up.  I'm seriously thinking about making this a Thursday/Friday show next year and helping a local shop I know set up in return for a badge on Friday and then driving home after the show ends that night.  I'm usually looking to spend about $500 - $1k and I can do that in a day easy at this show.  

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Har har.

Ok, you elitists enjoy yourselves.

I walked out of the local Richmond Ky one a month ago due to this fact and haven't been back.  Sorry,  missing teeth gross me out when at a restaurant