• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Heroes Convention Report
1 1

110 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I love Bob's list of people he sells to and I have a list of dealers at almost any Con and how I deal with them.

Big National Dealers - I stay far, far away from these guys unless I think I have a hot tip they may have not heard of yet.  I rarely even look at most board members booths since they have their books priced at market value and by the time a Con rolls around they usually have a hot book like Eternals 1 or FF 48 priced accordingly and I'm way too small a fish to throw out a big enough offer for the 20-30% discounts necessary for me to squeak out a buck or two.  I sometimes stop in to gawk at a booth like Gator or Dale but I can not think of one time I didn't make more then a small priced impulse buy from them.  They are not my seller and I'm not their buyer - no hard feelings either direction so I leave them be.

Small local dealers - these guys are hit or miss and I do stop in and check out guys like Nick and Hey Kids Comics since even though I know they are knowledgeable they some times are just looking to clear out books and may have multiples that I do well with and they give a good deal on.  In my area there is a ton of these guys and I know them all and they treat me well since I bring more cash them most local buyers so we do well together.  The problem now is those guys start scrutinizing what books I grab and start picking my brain and nit picking each purchase since they think I'm making a mint off them.  Like I said - I'm always friendly to them since they are my bread and butter.

Knowledgeable Up-to-date Collector - Don't mind these guys and always check out their booths but i usually spend more time talking comics then buying books.  They want to dissect each book's grade or talk about a books history and although that is interesting it's keeping me from a possible home run at the next booth so I tend to be nice and avoid them until last the next time.  These guys have a good chance of missing a few minor keys that they have not heard of since it's outside their collecting focus (ie that Alf and the seal cover) but their core collection they tend to over price big time.  They paid $70 for a X-Men 140 from a dealer 5 years ago since they needed it in NM and they won't take less then $75.  I don't see knowledgeable collector back again very often time since they find they do poorly and don't bother going thru the headache again.

Out of Touch Old Dealer or Selling Off Collection Collector - Everyone loves these guys and there is always a ton of dealers grabbing books during set up.  They have books priced at 10 year ago prices or maybe what they paid for it 5 years ago.  They may even have a 5 year old guide and price stuff by that and they get picked clean of almost all keys before you know it.  If you see a mass of people around a booth early during set up it's either a new high grade collection coming to market or a new guy getting eaten alive.  Those guys of course leave very happy with a stack of cash so I don't feel badly for them but they of course don't come back because they are one and done.

$1 or $2 blow out dealers - These guys are the best!  You can never have enough of these guys at a Con.  I'm not talking about the 90s drek guys who sell books for a $1.  I'm talking about guys who get whole collections in and it's their business model is to skim off the upper 10% of the keys and blow out the rest at bulk prices.  Great way to grab books like Moon Knight 1 or a New Mutant 1 for $2.  There was a great selection of these guys at Motor City and Baltimore last year and Heroes was lacking these guys.  Heck - even C2E2 last year had a couple of these guys with pretty nice stuff.  Rare to see them at a Wizard show since the booth fees are so high. 

You're leaving out the parking lot dealers, and the guys set up at the local Waffle House. Rookie. 

24 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

You're leaving out the parking lot dealers, and the guys set up at the local Waffle House. Rookie. 

I'd not be opposed to buying books from this guy but I've never seen him or his kin. 

I had Bojangles 4 years ago and my stomach is still a little upset so i skipped it this time.

1 hour ago, revat said:

If you're really serious, keep different denomination bills in each pocket and when negotiating, you just say "I only have $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 more" whatever and pull out that exact amount of cash.

One cannot underestimate the power of Benjamin Franklin on a greenback.

14 minutes ago, zosocane said:

One cannot underestimate the power of Benjamin Franklin on a greenback.

From a buyer standpoint I hate using this technique but I will if it appears like it may work.  Because from a sellers stand point it just does not work on me.  I love cash as much as the next guy but unless you are attempting to circumvent tax laws then I really don't see the need for immediate cash that much to accept a 30% reduction in price on my keys.  Cash is king but hot damn people must think I'm hurting for cash based on their offers.  I obviously don't miss many meals so I'm cool with sticking to my 10% discount since it's really easy to sell keys on E-Bay.

1 hour ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I guess I should also mention the guys selling collections in the Bojangles bathroom since there's a Bojangles every 30 feet in NC. I don't think that's really chicken. 

harley bojangles.jpg

Edited by Dick Pontoon

56 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Obviously fake.  No way Harley wouldn't be over at a table eating a stack of pan cakes.

Not fake Waffle house does not serve Pan cakes!! Any self respecting southerner knows that!

Just now, PKJ said:

Not fake Waffle house does not serve Pan cakes!! Any self respecting southerner knows that!

I refuse to call what they served last time I was in there a waffle.  Awful house more like it.

5 minutes ago, PKJ said:

How dare you sir "in my Buford Calloway" Voice

Agreed, maybe 1Cool just stumbled upon a bad Waffle House, but in general they are terrific. They cook real food, live in front of you on the griddle. Fresh made, greasy and delicious. Their waffles are a delicacy!

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Agreed, maybe 1Cool just stumbled upon a bad Waffle House, but in general they are terrific. They cook real food, live in front of you on the griddle. Fresh made, greasy and delicious. Their waffles are a delicacy!

Far too many bad things happen at Waffle House to ever make me want to go in there and eat.  There was the Waffle House massacre earlier this year where some deranged psychopath went in and killed four people, then there is the endless run of Youtube videos with people drunk, shouting and fighting on the premises. I guess Waffle House considers this good publicity as they never do anything about it.  Have they ever considered installing cameras or beefing up security?  Now there's a thought.  It's like individuals as soon as they walk through the doors and take a whiff of the week's old waffle batter lose all sense of humanity and become wild, rabid dogs.

Here are two nice looking individuals having a good time:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W0Egp_9iYmo?start=71" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W0Egp_9iYmo?start=71" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Edited by HENRYSPENCER