• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM King-Size Special Avengers #1
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Bought this lovely comic from a boardie. What do you think? I always have trouble with square bounds. If I knew how to dry clean a comic, I'd pretty up the rear cover. I'm not sure I care enough to try and learn though. Thanks in advance!

From mycomicshop.com info (not a plug, I'm not selling this book), just because I like a little bit of history when I'm grooving on my comics.

All new material. The Avengers face the Mandarin, the Living Laser, the first Power Man, the Swordsman, the Enchantress, and Executioner, and Ultimo in "the Monstrous Master Plan of the Mandarin!' -script by Roy Thomas, pencils by Don Heck, inks by George Roussos (as "George Bell"). Avengers roll call: Captain America, Hawkeye, Goliath, the Wasp, Quicksilver, and the Scarlet Witch. Guest starring Thor, Hercules, and Iron Man, with the Black Widow and Nick Fury. Sub-Mariner cameo. This issue also includes pin-ups of the original Avengers, the new Avengers, the Black Widow, and Hercules (all by Heck/Roussos), a diagram of the Avengers Mansion, and biographies of Heck and Thomas. John Buscema/Roussos cover. Cover price $0.25.

avengers-annual-1-a.jpg

avengers-annual-1-b.jpg

IMG_20180615_213222.jpg

IMG_20180615_213236.jpg

IMG_20180615_213307.jpg

I will admit that I'm surprised by the grades. The front cover is really clean and flat, the spine is quite good for a squarebound. The back has the usual glue waviness that these squarebounds have. Back has some soiling as seen, and the creases as shown in the angled pics. But even so, I'm curious what people see that knocks it down so.

14 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I'd say 7.0 minimum on this.

Me too, VF easy, chance of 8.5 as it is, maybe higher?  With angled glare shots could tell better -  for squarebounds, scans alone are tougher.

Since there's a grading-contest in town, I'd hazard guess that (often low-ball anyway) PGM estimates are a bit tighter. Great book!

Edited by grebal

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I will admit that I'm surprised by the grades. The front cover is really clean and flat, the spine is quite good for a squarebound. The back has the usual glue waviness that these squarebounds have. Back has some soiling as seen, and the creases as shown in the angled pics. But even so, I'm curious what people see that knocks it down so.

The right edge of the FC appears to have numerous small nicks, minor chipping most pronounced on bottom right.  Several corners have blunting.  Back cover bottom left corner creasing.  Also looks like a slight defect halfway up same side.  The back cover has dirt and discoloration in certain areas unless that's the scans which really brings it down IMO. I do think the front presents better than the back but overall I'm still in that 6 range as it stands just looking at everything together.  I do have a habit of undergrading and would not be floored at a 7.0 but I'm not in the VF camp on this one.

7.0 easy.  There is very little wear and creasing on this.  The full back cover photo might be exaggerating the discoloration, since the angled shots of the back look much cleaner and brighter. I'll bet this book looks great in hand.

Very nice book.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

For whatever it's worth, I'd be at 7.0 - 7.5. Nice solid copy!  (thumbsu

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:03 AM, MustEatBrains said:

I'm at a 6.0, depending on how much gook comes off the BC might upgrade to a 7.0

The gook will come off. But the wear on the back cover is another issue. I'd agree with this assessment of grade. 6.0/6.5, might make 7.0/7.5 if someone with Joey Post's skills runs it through the lab..