• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkle City Action 1 on ebay!!!!

269 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If I were the bidder you reference, the last person on earth I would communicate with about my intentions to win this book is you, or anyone else who may share my plans. Nothing against you, personally. I'd just ignore your communications with, "I'm currently away from my desk. Get back to you ASAP, thanks!". I wouldn't speak about it, I wouldn't discuss it. If you're pursuant to the same goal as a potential adversary to my goal, I don't share. I go after it and keep it quiet, comradery be damned. Business is business.

That’s the problem with friendships in this hobby. You try to accommodate folks so you entertain discussions but you omit specifics and details (as in this case). I think we are all savvy enough not to tip our hands

46 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

That’s the problem with friendships in this hobby. You try to accommodate folks so you entertain discussions but you omit specifics and details (as in this case). I think we are all savvy enough not to tip our hands

Just knowing the players, their habits and tendencies, plus a backstory as to why they're pursuant, will assist an adversary after the same goal. A smart individual; can gain advantage from even a minute detail. That's why if you asked me, I would have either said nothing or, "Hey Gator! Whassup? I'm at basestation 2, climbing Everest! I have no connectivity, I'm surprised I could get you. What's going on in the comic world?" And then I would have gone radio silent for 10 days! ______________________________________________  Then, after I won it, we could have gone back to being goombas again! I may have not even let you know that I was the winner. I would have been like, "Gator, Gator, Gator.. I'm so sorry to hear that some son of a b**** pulled the rug out from under you. You'll get that bas#### the next time!" :devil:

Edited by James J Johnson

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, zen514 said:

I was one to say that but we all meant in a few years 3-5 if the market keeps rising. Its already about 70k for a complete and missing cf are selling for 35k and under. All super presenting ones. 

The cover on this book is extensive. slight never has spine work, etc, etc. Maybe moderate at best. Thats why they didnt send to cgc. Not as sexy when its moderatee extensive amateur.

100k makes sense. Im saying this cause im an actual potential bidder that could do it now.

I would just buy an 8.5 moderate 242k Instead of this extensive 0.5 at xxxxxx

But an 8.5 moderate wouldn't be 242K - it'd be more. I think you are getting your Action 1's and Tec 27's mixed up

53 minutes ago, bluechip said:

The only acceptable way to list a book like this is as follows:

"This book will not be sold for a price higher than you think it's worth.  If anyone tries to pay more they will be informed the book isn't worth it and their attempts to pay more will be refused.   If you are buying this for resale we will accept only what you think is a price that allows the markup you want.   If the book has any defects or restoration, or anything you think is a defect or restoration that was not described in precisely the same terms you would have used, then we understand that offering a return is not enough; you will also have the option to keep the book and tell us the amount that must be refunded.  You will also be free to return it, if the value ever decreases."

That's pretty good. You should compose disclaimers professionally for tobacco, liquor, pharmaceutical, and munitions companies! :applause:

41 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Now first, we're going to have to establish this as libel or slander. What is Sparkle City's or your loss? If we're going to court, we have to first set the parameters of the libel. How have you been the victim or Sparkle been a victim of my alleged "Slander"? As stated, we can litigate this in court if you'd like. What did you lose by my alleged slander, which has not yet been determined to be slander? What are the damages? Did you lose a tail feather? You may want to consider this before filing what will prove to be a frivolous lawsuit. ^^

You are now arguing that absent actual damage, no cause of action for defamation can exist (by Sparkle City, of course, you aren't talking about me). 

One major problem with your premature declaration of victory:  Under New York law (and the law of most other states) which I think would govern, in a defamation action based on a statement constituting "libel per se," actual damage is presumed.  See, e.g., Technovate LLC v Fanelli, 2015 NY Slip Op 51349 (September 10, 2015), which explained:

The elements of defamation are (1) the publishing of a false statement to a third party; (2) without authorization or privilege; (3) fault, judged at a minimum by a negligence standard; and (4) special harm or defamation per se [Dillon v City of New York, 261 AD2d 34 (1999)]. ...  "A statement which concerns a person in his trade or business and tends to injure him therein is actionable per se" (citations omitted). Likewise, with regard to business entities, "statements which impugn the basic integrity, creditworthiness, or competence of the business, are defamatory per se, and thus, special damages need not be pleaded (citations omitted).

You might start asking yourself:  "Why does sfcityduck know this?"

You might also ask yourself whether, when accused of irresponsibly disparaging others, it's a good defense of your character to argue: "So what?  You're not suffering monetary loss."

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

You are now arguing that absent actual damage, no cause of action for defamation can exist (by Sparkle City, of course, you aren't talking about me). 

One major problem with your premature declaration of victory:  Under New York law (and the law of most other states) which I think would govern, in a defamation action based on a statement constituting "libel per se," actual damage is presumed.  See, e.g., Technovate LLC v Fanelli, 2015 NY Slip Op 51349 (September 10, 2015), which explained:

You might also ask yourself whether, when accused of irresponsibly disparaging others, it's a good defense of your character to argue: "So what?  You're not suffering monetary loss."

And you might ask yourself:

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Now before you know what to file, you may want to review this.

Nah.  Waste of my time.  I went to a better law school than your chosen on-line law school. One of the things I learned is that libel and slander are somewhat archaic terms that have different meanings in "legalese" and "plain English."  The correct legal term used these days is usually defamation.  And, in any events, regardless of the title ("liber per se", "slander per se," or "defamation per se"), NY courts apply the concept to internet postings.

Edited by sfcityduck

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And you might ask yourself:

This might be your only good post on this thread.

Great band!  Saw them live in a small city concert hall in 1983 on their final day of a week of rehearsals for the Stop Making Sense movie.

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Yes, of course, with your somehow proven to be so superior and all that, your posts being pearls of wisdom before a swine such as me. It's so much easier to agree with someone who is never wrong and is better than me than to debate them. I just don't have the necessities, as you've so deftly pointed out due to your unmatchable education!   lol

16 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Nah.  Waste of my time.  I went to a better law school than your chosen on-line law school. One of the things I learned is that libel and slander are somewhat archaic terms that have different meanings in "legalese" and "plain English."  The correct legal term used these days is usually defamation.  And, in any events, regardless of the title ("liber per se", "slander per se," or "defamation per se"), NY courts apply the concept to internet postings.

Then let's test the system. I'm willing. Are you?

2 hours ago, zen514 said:

They say 4-5 which is moderate extensive them say SLIGHT

Also they removed the Natural state

yes, noticed that. But I would hope that bidder on a six-figure book would know that no way this is a slightly restored book. But certainly it was originally  a tad deceptive. 

Edited by fishbone

12 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Great band!  Saw them live in a small city concert hall in 1983 on their final day of a week of rehearsals for the Stop Making Sense movie.

I must state. I'm not convinced of your superiority. You keep telling me that I'm nothing compared to you, and I fail to see how you arrived at that determination. Can you be more specific?

4 minutes ago, fishbone said:

But certainly a tad deceptive. 

Uh-oh. Now you'll have the duck to answer to. Get ready for the 50 minute lecture about how little you know about anything and how you've slandered the seller. Well, I'm out of here for now. I have a lot to learn, so the duck says. So I better get to it if I want to be 1/100th the duck he'll tell you he is. :roflmao:

You guys in the Golden age section. I thought my peeps in the Comics General section were making things up! :golfclap:

23 minutes ago, fishbone said:

yes, noticed that. But I would hope that bidder on a six-figure book would know that no way this is a slightly restored book. But certainly it was originally  a tad deceptive. 

Yes. Glad it wasnt just me.

57 minutes ago, fishbone said:

But an 8.5 moderate wouldn't be 242K - it'd be more. I think you are getting your Action 1's and Tec 27's mixed up

I really don't know anything about anything as I just fell off the turnip truck, as the duck will tell you, but in my uninformed opinion, this will finish at more than 242K.

58 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm really impressed by how much skin and feathers you have in Sparkle City's game. You must be an integral part off their operations to argue so persistently and vehemently over the technicalities of their company integrity and machinations. If you're not an owner, shareholder, or associate of some kind, I must admire your tenacity. I wish I could be so passionate about something I have absolutely no stake in other than simply being right while proving someone wrong. I might wish I could be that passionate about a moot point that has little to no effect on my life, but if I did care that much, maybe I'd suddenly realize that I was wasting my time after all. I don't know, but I'm sure we can both agree on that much. Here's to you, Duck. You're one duck of a kind! :tink: