• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkle City Action 1 on ebay!!!!

269 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I wasn't disagreeing with a coverless copy or not. Let's just say, regardless of inside information, outcomes may vary. You know how many auctions I've bid on, placing a "top all", failsafe bid with seconds to go? Usually when I want something (have to have it), I'll snipe a stupid bid, a bid I know will win. Of course, that can be dangerous. You can bid $2000 on a book that you know you shouldn't be bidding more than $1000 on and usually win it for $1200 or less, a lot of headroom to proxy with. Sometimes, someone placed even a more stupid bid than I did. I'd bid $2000 for a top all on a $1000 book and I'd get a "you have been outbid" message!!! WTF??????? "How the hell did I lose that?". Even when you have every reason to expect a certain outcome, no auction results are ever certain until the end. Although you feel differently.

Been there done that

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
Just showing these for anyone who hasn't seen these particular added questions they answered in the summary section.
Q: Is this book restored and to what degree?
A: Yes, this book is restored. Overall restoration would be considered in the 4 - 5 range (Moderate/extensive restoration) by a 3rd party grader. Restoration includes: Color Touch (slight on the cover), Color Touch inside front cover, Piece fill and support to cover, Cover Cleaned and reinforced, Pages cleaned, staples replaced. 

Yep. 

And the statement in the original listing is: 

Restoration includes: Color Touch on inside cover. Piece fill and support to cover. Cover cleaned. Staples replaced. Restoration would be in the 4 extent range. 3rd party grading would call this a .5, incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, cover cleaned, reinforced, pieces added and staples replaced.

As you can see, Sparkle City stated there was restoration and it was in the "4 extent range."  Under CGC's scale "4" means "moderate/extensive."   They also disclosed it would be a .5 incomplete if encapsulated. 

The confusion here appears to stem from Sparkle City's original statement that it was "incomplete with (slight restoration) color touch, ..." and Sparkle City's new statement that there is "Color touch (slight on cover), ..."  The word "slight" modifies "color touch," and does not appear to have been intended to contradict the disclosure that the overall restoration was a 4 (moderate/extensive).

At least, that's how I read it. 

So, I continue to believe there was no cause to disparage the seller or Sparkle City. 

14 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

So with what little credit the duck gives me for any tangible hobby knowledge at all,

When have I questioned your "hobby knowledge"? 

What I question is your wisdom.  You are throwing out incorrect factual assertions (asserting the book used to be in a PLOD and was cracked out by the seller) to support your disparaging assertions about the seller and/or Sparkle City. 

In an activity where reputation matters, it is unwise and wrong to disparage someone's reputation without good cause.

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

What I question is your wisdom.  You are throwing out incorrect factual assertions (asserting the book used to be in a PLOD and was cracked out by the seller) to support your disparaging assertions about the seller and/or Sparkle City. 

In an activity where reputation matters, it is unwise and wrong to disparage someone's reputation without good cause.

can we go away from the James J Johnson vs sfcityduck talk

and discuss what Gator brought up:

my gut was there is entry level demand in the 150-200k range for just about any decent copy

If someone had a complete coverless and bought years ago for , say 25k, then 225k to get a “complete” copy ain’t shabby in today’s market. That’s my math

if it sells for way more may simply be indicative of a couple of deep pocketed collectors that just want it. Who the heck knows 

I agree.    My gut is that a front cover is worth maybe 125k by itself.   I'm not in the market for action 1's nor do I follow it that closely, but that's the angle I come at it from, which kind of lines up with what you're saying, just from a different approach

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

can we go away from the James J Johnson vs sfcityduck talk

and discuss what Gator brought up:

Fair enough. 

What interests me about this discussion is that there appears to be a sea change happening right now in the attitude towards restored/conserved high end books.  To my eyes, they appear to be gaining a much greater degree of acceptance.  As someone who buys fine art, I don't view conservation or restoration negatively because I want art preserved for future generations.  (In contrast, what I do view negatively is the irrational view that staple replacement or staple cleaning (especially of rusty staples) should adversely impact a comic book's value because that encourages degradation of comics.)  So I, for one, am not at all unhappy to see responsible conservation and restoration accepted by the marketplace.  I just hope the marketplace encourages appropriate conservation/restoration and discourages destructive conservation/restoration.

Having said that, I think this book is a great candidate for appropriate conservation/restoration.  Why?  It's already been worked on.  It's incomplete.  It's got good bones. The end result of the right marriage (or two) could be an additional nice complete Action 1(s). 

How much will this book or resulting Frankenbooks sell for?  I'm not qualified to do anything but guess.

But, I will say this:  I know of a restored Action 1 which has gotten multiple legitimate offers significantly north of $500K.  I believe we will likely see a restored/conserved Action 1 push or exceed the $1M mark in the next ten years.

23 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Three Actions 1 conserved sold the last few years. Comiclink 7.0C 450K, ComicConnect 8.0C 461K and I 5.5C 393K, Any complete Action 1 conserved, restored, married will command 200K+.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

15 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Fair enough. 

What interests me about this discussion is that there appears to be a sea change happening right now in the attitude towards restored/conserved high end books.  To my eyes, they appear to be gaining a much greater degree of acceptance.  As someone who buys fine art, I don't view conservation or restoration negatively because I want art preserved for future generations.  (In contrast, what I do view negatively is the irrational view that staple replacement or staple cleaning (especially of rusty staples) should adversely impact a comic book's value because that encourages degradation of comics.)  So I, for one, am not at all unhappy to see responsible conservation and restoration accepted by the marketplace.  I just hope the marketplace encourages appropriate conservation/restoration and discourages destructive conservation/restoration.

Having said that, I think this book is a great candidate for appropriate conservation/restoration.  Why?  It's already been worked on.  It's incomplete.  It's got good bones. The end result of the right marriage (or two) could be an additional nice complete Action 1(s). 

How much will this book or resulting Frankenbooks sell for?  I'm not qualified to do anything but guess.

But, I will say this:  I know of a restored Action 1 which has gotten multiple legitimate offers significantly north of $500K.  I believe we will likely see a restored/conserved Action 1 push or exceed the $1M mark in the next ten years.

Three Actions 1 conserved sold the last few years. Comiclink 7.0C 450K, ComicConnect 8.0C 461K and I 5.5C 393K, Any complete Action 1 conserved, restored, married will command 200K+.

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

You again. Did you notice how the description was modified after I posted about there being more to the book than was being divulged? You seem to have selective amnesia, Daffy. You call that "disparaging"? That I stated the seller opted to sell it raw rather than under a 0.5 extensive restored label? :roflmao:

And let me ask. With all your hobby acumen, a self-professed master of the hobby and me. Me. Lowly, insignificant, me and all things, with the schools and degrees you've posted about earning. Did any of those many credentials help your eyesight at all? How about cognitive abilities.  How come no-nothing me. Nothing compared to you, as you profess, was able to look at those scans and positively aver without question, "this book is extensively restored", and you failed to either see it, or mention it? With all you know, as you have told me. All of your degrees, as you have stated. All of your mastery over all things me, as you have told me. How come I was the only one here who stated anything about there being more to the description than meets the eye?

Edited by James J Johnson

21 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

The duck and God already know that precise amount. The rest of us will know in 5 days.  My number is $251,200. You heard that here.

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

some good data points to compare With 

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

You call that "disparaging"? That I stated the seller opted to sell it raw rather than under a 0.5 extensive restored label? :roflmao:

That's not what you said.  And that's not what I called disparaging and factually inaccurate. 

This is:

"this seller's greed, his cracking it out and going the eBay raw route"

"when the buyer submits this to the CGC, and it bounds back to him or her in a 0.5 purple labeled holder from whence it came"

"What do you call the decision to bypass having it slabbed, a 0.5, to market it as a 3.5 or 4.0, or 4.5, or 5.0 raw?

Those statements are factually incorrect and disparaging.  The book was never in a PLOD.  The book was never marketed as a 3.5 to 5.0 raw (it was marketed as a .5 that looked better than the grade).

Not sure why you want to keep boring people by digging this hole.  We've been asked to stop.  I'm moving on.

22 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

How come no-nothing me. Nothing compared to you, as you profess, was able to look at those scans and positively aver without question, "this book is extensively restored", and you failed to either see it, or mention it? With all you know, as you have told me. All of your degrees, as you have stated. All of your mastery over all things me, as you have told me. How come I was the only one here who stated anything about there being more to the description than meets the eye?

As a courtesy, I'll make one more post in response to you to answer your questions:

First, Zen514 noted mulltiple times on the first page of this thread, before you ever posted, that the restoration on this book was "extensive."  So stop patting yourself on the back for being first to note that.

Second, I didn't look at the auction for this book until the time I posted, three pages into this thread.  At that point in the conversation, there was no need to state the obvious.

14 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

That's not what you said.  And that's not what I called disparaging and factually inaccurate. 

This is:

"this seller's greed, his cracking it out and going the eBay raw route"

"when the buyer submits this to the CGC, and it bounds back to him or her in a 0.5 purple labeled holder from whence it came"

"What do you call the decision to bypass having it slabbed, a 0.5, to market it as a 3.5 or 4.0, or 4.5, or 5.0 raw?

Those statements are factually incorrect and disparaging.  The book was never in a PLOD.  The book was never marketed as a 3.5 to 5.0 raw (it was marketed as a .5 that looked better than the grade).

Not sure why you want to keep boring people by digging this hole.  We've been asked to stop.  I'm moving on.

cc.jpg.df921c9748c8ad39c671962a287c317a.jpg

cs 1.jpg

Edited by woowoo

11 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

As a courtesy, I'll make one more post in response to you to answer your questions:

First, Zen514 noted mulltiple times on the first page of this thread, before you ever posted, that the restoration on this book was "extensive."  So stop patting yourself on the back for being first to note that.

Second, I didn't look at the auction for this book until the time I posted, three pages into this thread.  At that point in the conversation, there was no need to state the obvious.

jjj.jpg

Batman 1.jpg

Edited by woowoo

21 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Don't bother doing anything on my account. I didn't see his post. I saw pictures of the book. The thread was already on page 2 when I posted. I never saw page 1 prior to my posts here. And there you go. Someone else recognized that the resto was extensive aside from me. Why didn't you?

Edited by James J Johnson