• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkle City Action 1 on ebay!!!!

269 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

$250 is the maximum seller fee for this, the maximum bid price reached long ago. That's going to be about a 1/10th of 1% seller premium that Sparkle pays Ebay! That's 100 times less than if sold on Link, and about 200 times less than if sold by Heritage!

Of course, there are risks in dealing with a buyer yourself. Risks that the major auction houses assume when handling your sale with your complete confidence. Ebay? Paypal? $100,000+. I wouldn't take the chance. I like the sure thing that consigning to Link and Heritage assures.

Yeah I sell predominantly on Comiclink. However, would I have issues selling a big book on EBay, nah I wouldn’t. After seeing the 3.2 mil action 1, $950K All Star 8, $400K or so Sensation 1 and $300K or so Wonder Woman 1 I discovered big books can safely be sold on eBay. There’s obviously been others but those are the biggest ones that come to mind. And yeah I’m sure that ridiculously low final value fee in those instances is a nice thing. The biggest thing I’ve sold was my DD1 cgc 9.4, which I did let go on C-link.

53 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Based on my recollection eBay charges a max final value fee of $750. However, for members with an eBay store as I’m sure Sparkle City has it drops back down to the old amount of $250.

The Action 1 is listed in the collectibles category and I'm sure Sparkle City has a decent track record and meeting ebay performance, so their max ebays fee should be no more than $750.00 for this item.

2 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

The Action 1 is listed in the collectibles category and I'm sure Sparkle City has a decent track record and meeting ebay performance, so their max ebays fee should be no more than $750.00 for this item.

Yeah I just checked and they are definitely an EBay store. So for them it will only be $250.

3 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I just checked and they are definitely an EBay store. So for them it will only be $250.

Here is the ebay fee link for ebay store and category. Max is $750.00 with strong selling/practice performance on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4122

35 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

. The biggest thing I’ve sold was my DD1 cgc 9.4, which I did let go on C-link.

And you paid a much bigger fee to Link than you would of on ebay, but........................... because Link handled the sale for you, you got paid after X amount of days, and that was the end of it. You never had to look over your shoulder for a chargeback to your account for up to 6 months from the time of the sale! I like peace of mind. I'll pay the extra few "pernts" for that.

36 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Here is the ebay fee link for ebay store and category. Max is $750.00 with strong selling/practice performance on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4122

It’s $250 for them though, they aren’t a starter store ?

5E001A63-633F-44EB-8AF1-E4D07E151575.jpeg

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And you paid a much bigger fee to Link than you would of on ebay, but........................... because Link handled the sale for you, you got paid after X amount of days, and that was the end of it. You never had to look over your shoulder for a chargeback to your account for up to 6 months from the time of the sale! I like peace of mind. I'll pay the extra few "pernts" for that.

Oh yeah totally. Like I said I used Comiclink and do prefer them. I enjoy that convenience of having them handle everything whereas for the last 5 years of selling on eBay I shipped all the comics I sold. Up until I sold my Daredevil 1 my most expensive sales were in the $5K range. So nothing too expensive. As previously noted, I’ve seen big dealers sell big books on EBay and successfully. If they can do it, I’d be content to do it. I will say those were all graded and I do think that’s safer. Raw definitely scares me a tad more. But anyways, we could argue all day like you did with the other people and seem to enjoy lol. I’m not interested in doing that and there’s nothing you could say to convince me otherwise. So here’s a couple of ?. We can drink to you selling your big books where you prefer, and me selling mine wherever I prefer. Although it will probably be Comiclink unless I get the urge to only lose $750. ?.

11 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh yeah totally. Like I said I used Comiclink and do prefer them. I enjoy that convenience of having them handle everything whereas for the last 5 years of selling on eBay I shipped all the comics I sold. Up until I sold my Daredevil 1 my most expensive sales were in the $5K range. So nothing too expensive. As previously noted, I’ve seen big dealers sell big books on EBay and successfully. If they can do it, I’d be content to do it. I will say those were all graded and I do think that’s safer. Raw definitely scares me a tad more. But anyways, we could argue all day like you did with the other people and seem to enjoy lol. I’m not interested in doing that and there’s nothing you could say to convince me otherwise. So here’s a couple of ?. We can drink to you selling your big books where you prefer, and me selling mine wherever I prefer. Although it will probably be Comiclink unless I get the urge to only lose $750. ?.

I'm not arguing with you. On the contrary, if you take my post at face value I applauded your decision to sacrifice a few bucks for total peace of mind and agreed that's the route I have traveled and would do so again. It's all right there, no hidden content, which is why I don't understand your belief that there was some nefarious meaning or argumentive undertone to my dialog. There wasn't. It was just a post agreeing with you. Nothing else. It's self evident.

Edited by James J Johnson

26 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

It’s $250 for them though, they aren’t a starter store ?

5E001A63-633F-44EB-8AF1-E4D07E151575.jpeg

And I would guess, their seller performance is not below standard. That extra 4% is for sellers who might have the appropriate store to meet that $250 cap but whose performance falls below standard. My guess is that Sparkle is a Top Seller, I haven't looked, but I imagine they are, so $250 is their cap. Not a bad fee at all for what could be a $251,200 sale! (worship)

14 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm not arguing with you. On the contrary, if you take my post at face value I applauded your decision to sacrifice a few bucks for total peace of mind and agreed that's the route I have traveled and would do so again. It's all right there, no hidden content, which is why I don't understand your belief that there was some nefarious meaning or argumentive undertone to my dialog. There wasn't. It was just a post agreeing with you. Nothing else. It's self evident.

Sorry I thought I detected a hint of some kind of sarcasm or something. If I misread then my bad. ??

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

What's up Larryw7 any more pence book's

No, unfortunately. I saw a nice pence copy of Avengers 4 recently, was thinking about it.

12 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

What interests me about this discussion is that there appears to be a sea change happening right now in the attitude towards restored/conserved high end books.  To my eyes, they appear to be gaining a much greater degree of acceptance.  As someone who buys fine art, I don't view conservation or restoration negatively because I want art preserved for future generations.

I'm interested in where exactly would you take this from. With high end books, isn't it all about availability and price? And with more common books, isn't it the same? Would you take a restored/conserved book over a raw book in the same price range? I'd rather not. Love the authenticity ...

:foryou:

(Fine art/original art should be a different matter altogether because of uniqueness?)

8 hours ago, Pickie said:

I'm interested in where exactly would you take this from. With high end books, isn't it all about availability and price? And with more common books, isn't it the same? Would you take a restored/conserved book over a raw book in the same price range? I'd rather not. Love the authenticity ...

:foryou:

(Fine art/original art should be a different matter altogether because of uniqueness?)

My comment is based on the increasing prices we're seeing for conserved/restored rare mega-keys like Action 1.   The prices for universal books are now so high, that the market for conserved, restored, and even incomplete copies appears very strong.  Indeed,  I think that the lines are beginning to blur a bit, which was, I think, the intent of the "conserved" label.  I also base that comment on my knowledge of very strong offers for an Action 1 with tear seals and cover cleaning.  I don't think the market for "common books" can be compared to the market for Action 1.

As for your question:  "Would you take a restored/conserved book over a raw book in the same price range? I'd rather not. Love the authenticity ..."

First, conserved or restored books are not, in my view, per se not "authentic."  I don't view a tear seal or the cleaning of rust off of staples, both of which prevents future degradation of the comic, as rendering a book unauthentic.  The market has already decided that a cover cleaning which removes foreign matter from the comic, including pencil marks, is not restoration. I would rather own a comic with replaced period appropriate staples than one with rusty staples. 

I think concerns about "authenticity" legitimately increase as we talk about piece filling, especially when we are talking about really large pieces.  These massively restored books that are now popping up that look like they have xerox covers do not appeal to me, although they do appear to be selling.  But, I can envision a scenario where I would pay more for a restored copy of a comic than an incomplete copy.  For example, we have all seen comic books which had the top third of its cover ripped off for a return.  I can envision paying more for a mega-key in that condition if the top third was replaced with an original looking piece than if it was a two-thirds cover.  Especially when that piece can be removed. 

P.S. Fine art includes limited edition multiples like woodblock prints, etc.

Edited by sfcityduck

8 hours ago, Pickie said:

More NEW bidders in the field (one of which current high bidder at 131,100).

You guys in the GA ... :whatthe:  xD:popcorn:

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/382488937438?item=382488937438&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565 

what finishes higher--the Action 1 or the Cap 1 ?  It's really close at the moment

59 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

P.S. Fine art includes limited edition multiples like woodblock prints, etc.

(thumbsu

I collect prints and have had work done on them without giving it a second thought. In fact, I bought a Whistler print with the specific goal of getting it restored since the overall cost would still be a bargain. 

52 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

My comment is based on the increasing prices we're seeing for conserved/restored rare mega-keys like Action 1.   The prices for universal books are now so high, that the market for conserved, restored, and even incomplete copies appears very strong.

Could be that as soon as the universals go out of reach it would be more like a "forced" attitude/decision to the benefit of the purple and grey labels and of the incomplete copies ... hm

Either way -- at what point in time is it going to be cheap again? :wishluck: :cry:

38 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

what finishes higher--the Action 1 or the Cap 1 ?  It's really close at the moment

no clue ...