• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkle City Action 1 on ebay!!!!

269 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

what finishes higher--the Action 1 or the Cap 1 ?  It's really close at the moment

0.5 incomplete with resto vs 6.5 universal, let's keep that in mind :whistle:

Edited by Gotham Kid

41 minutes ago, rob_react said:

I think the Cap #1 should finish higher :sumo:

IMO, the resto disclosed on the label of the Cap 1, technically making it a "qualified Universal", will keep it from closing higher than the Act 1. Plus Act 1 is Act 1. No restoration on the Cap 1, maybe. But the Cap 1 will not have that final bidder surge at the closing moments that the Act 1 will have. That Cap 1 simply isn't a quarter million dollar book, IMO. Not in that grade, with the restoration, blue label notwithstanding. Whether or not the Action 1 is worth $251,200 (my call) to someone will be determined at the buzzer by if more than one person thinks it's worth that much. And I think there will be at least two who think it is!

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

Never go over 175k...………………………………………….. The book will beat Cap 1 since it is not a true blue at least it would not be few years ago :whistle:

Now listen here, I just got an idea! :idea:   A bet! I'll bet you $500,000 that the exact winning bid is $251,200! Not a penny less, not a penny more. The only stipulation will be that you'll have to pay me the $500,000 that I win from you soon after the end of the auction so I can follow up and pay Sparkle for the book!   :flipbait:

:grin:

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Now listen here, I just got an idea! :idea:   A bet! I'll bet you $500,000 that the exact winning bid is $251,200! Not a penny less, not a penny more. The only stipulation will be that you'll have to pay me the $500,000 that I win from you soon after the end of the auction so I can follow up and pay Sparkle for the book!   :flipbait:

:grin:

:blahblah:

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Done! I hope I get lucky and win the bet! (Now where did I write down my passwords for those dormant ebay accounts that I never got around to using?) :jaws: 

:jokealert:

I really like the Duck but you are ok in my book also crazy but ok :screwy: (thumbsu

32 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I really like the Duck but you are ok in my book also crazy but ok :screwy: (thumbsu

:gossip:  (in a hushed, secretive whisper)... I like the duck too. Just don't tell him. It may ruin my reputation with him and unruffle his feathers! :ohnoez:

Edited by James J Johnson

Not to put Gator or anyone else out.

But my initial feeling was 100k

extensive poor copy. with cleaned modified interior( pages lightned)missing  centerfold.

cgc 0.5 extensive... still have to pay 5k to cgc to grade. 150k.

better put an extra 50k-100k for a 8.0 moderate

or a 100k unrestored complete coverless 

1 minute ago, zen514 said:

Not to put Gator or anyone else out.

But my initial feeling was 100k

extensive poor copy. with cleaned modified interior( pages lightned)missing  centerfold.

cgc 0.5 extensive... still have to pay 5k to cgc to grade. 150k.

better put an extra 50k-100k for a 8.0 moderate

or a 100k unrestored complete coverless 

So the middle grade Cap 1, one of the more common Timely key issues, will sell for more than the low grade Action 1?  o.O

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So the middle grade Cap 1, one of the more common Timely key issues, will sell for more than the low grade Action 1?  o.O

Yes! Its the market. Cap1 Bats 1 are Hot.

This is not a low grade.. its a franken cover. with a modified cleaned interior missing the cf

7 minutes ago, zen514 said:

Yes! Its the market. Cap1 Bats 1 are Hot.

This is not a low grade.. its a franken cover. with a modified cleaned interior missing the cf

It's incomplete and restored, but why do you say "franken cover"?

To me , a "frankenbook" is one pieced together from multiple sources.

I think someone may have just totally scored. 

If someone with a coverless copy won this, he can marry this cover to his complete coverless copy and maybe invest in some more restoration to create a really nice Frankenbook, 

And if he also sells the first wrap to the guy who has the coverless copy minus first wrap, well that's got to be worth a decent amount.

And he could then piece out the remaining pages for good money as well.

Hard to see how the investment would not be worth it in that situation.

As for the Cap 1, that a 6.5 Cap 1 universal is being compared to a .5 restored incomplete Action 1 tells you the vast gulf between the two books.