• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 4
6 6

265 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

This will be the 6th year now where I’ve told everyone that I don’t choose books to intentionally fool people. 

I choose books that have certain flaws, or sometimes strange flaws (where I really want to know how CGC would handle this), and also really cool books that I like and want to show off. 

Now which two I pair together in each round may have meaning and again may not. 

Just do your best for as many rounds that you remember to enter, have some fun, and hopefully learn something at the end. 

You may even win a prize! :gossip: 

And kav, I quoted you here, but I’m really talking to everyone. (thumbsu 

It's my first time participating and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I just wish it wasn't making me hate myself quite so much.:frustrated:

Ps off topic but does anyone know the name of that sci fi cartoon from the 90s with the little alien guy and his girlfriend with the huge ****?  Someone wants me to draw that and neither of us know what it was.  It was the cgi type animation.

If I try to give a grade that I THINK CGC might give, then I'm overthinking it.

I just grade the books as *I* would grade them - trying to guess what CGC would give is too much once-removed guessing for me. :grin:

1 minute ago, JohnH19 said:

It's my first time participating and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I just wish it wasn't making me hate myself quite so much.:frustrated:

it really does have an impact on one's self esteem! :cry:

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Ps off topic but does anyone know the name of that sci fi cartoon from the 90s with the little alien guy and his girlfriend with the huge ****?  Someone wants me to draw that and neither of us know what it was.  It was the cgi type animation.

Cool World?

4 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Cool World?

Ok sorry I found it by googling '90s sci fi cartoon girl with huge ****" lol

Tripping the Rift

Ah, the infamous both books are the same grade round. Gets me every time ( so that would be twice). lol

Was really tempted to go with 8.5 on the JIM as it looked like Marvel pre-chipping in a couple of places but it looked so nice I decided on 9.0.

The Alf had far too many spine tics/creases to be any higher than an 8, imo. So went with that ignoring the cerebrum which was whispering "CGC bump, CGC bump".

I've gotta be happy with 6 points, though. :)

6 hours ago, jcjames said:

If I try to give a grade that I THINK CGC might give, then I'm overthinking it.

I just grade the books as *I* would grade them - trying to guess what CGC would give is too much once-removed guessing for me. :grin:

I do the same. I look at the scans, derive the grade I would give the book based solely on those scans, and then submit my guesses. The process takes no more than a few minutes. This is just for fun.

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

you might be over thinking the whole thing. Just go with the grade you think CGC gave it, justified or not, and good luck

May I suggest another option?

Just put ALL possible CGC grades in a hat and randomly pick one out.

1 minute ago, flashlites said:

Don't for get the 6.8 and 12.2 grades!?

Actually I got the  Harry Potter 9 3/4 grade.

In all seriousness, I think this contest is intended to be fun and hopefully helps people to better understand CGC grading.

This is my first time entering and I am having a fun (although at times frustrating) time.

I really appreciate all the hard work and effort that @thirdgreenham and @sckao put into this.

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

Actually I got the  Harry Potter 9 3/4 grade.

In all seriousness, I think this contest is intended to be fun and hopefully helps people to better understand CGC grading.

This is my first time entering and I am having a fun (although at times frustrating) time.

I really appreciate all the hard work and effort that @thirdgreenham and @sckao put into this.

Me too! I am another first timer, having lots of fun! I really appreciate it! I've been out of it for years and as of 2 months ago I was trying to grade my collection with the old 1992 grading guide??!? (How much could grading have changed?) found the latest guide online a month ago and have been playing catch up ever since. This kind of thing is exactly what I needed. Thanks greeneggs!!!

Blast...close on the JIM, way off on the Alf. I wasn't expecting that one to be so high, between the spine tics, what looked like wear/scratches in the back, and the front looks like it has two deep color-breaking creases/indents in the lower-left corner on the green puddle, to the right of the scanner glow. Compared to the JIM, I saw those and went lower.

Oh well. My quest for last place continues!