• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 4
6 6

265 posts in this topic

I went 9.4 on the JIM and 8.0 on the Alf.

i just could not see anything on the JIM that indicated below NM-, it’s a beautiful book.  The Alf on the other hand looked really rough at the spine and being a bronze book I expected CGC to be tough on it, I half expected my 8.0 to be high!

5 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

I went 9.4 on the JIM and 8.0 on the Alf.

i just could not see anything on the JIM that indicated below NM-, it’s a beautiful book.  The Alf on the other hand looked really rough at the spine and being a bronze book I expected CGC to be tough on it, I half expected my 8.0 to be high!

The JIM had a stain on the back cover

1 hour ago, Cocomonkey said:

Blast...close on the JIM, way off on the Alf. I wasn't expecting that one to be so high, between the spine tics, what looked like wear/scratches in the back, and the front looks like it has two deep color-breaking creases/indents in the lower-left corner on the green puddle, to the right of the scanner glow. Compared to the JIM, I saw those and went lower.

Oh well. My quest for last place continues!

Even last gets a prize! I'm sure you won't end up last. ? were all trying to measure up to the best of the best the CGC! 

24 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Even last gets a prize! I'm sure you won't end up last. ? were all trying to measure up to the best of the best the CGC! 

That's why I want last! I figured my odds of getting high enough for a prize are slim, so instead of getting stuck in the middle, I'd have better a better chance of shooting for the bottom lol

2 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

No tanking! (tsk)

It's not tanking. I view all of these grading contests as additional learning experience (and fun). Trying to grade the stuff I have at home doesn't really tell me if I'm grading correctly unless I send them in, and that just gets expensive. I'm just a fatalist at heart--if I expect the worst, it's hard to be disappointed, and instead, more opportunities to be pleasantly surprised (like finding myself in ties for the Top Ten for two rounds of this so far...).

1 hour ago, 427Impaler said:

Thanks for that!  just went back and could not find it.  Adjusted my contrast and viola there it is.

Well there ya' go.

I did the same, did not see that faint stain but if I change the angle of my laptop monitor and becomes more visible. Not a major stain, but I probably would have graded it to 9.0 (maybe 8.5 but possibly due to hindsight). I gave it a 9.2 originally due to the larger upper staple stress-crease and the smaller spine tick above it. Really couldn't see much else to bring it below 9ish range. 

1 hour ago, 427Impaler said:

Thanks for that!  just went back and could not find it.  Adjusted my contrast and viola there it is.

Also that back cover is supposed to be white. It was tanning or browning whatever its called, aged. That with the stain IMO kept it from being NM. The front alone looked 9.2-9.4 great condition! I've seen it a lot on SA books and I often wonder if it comes from being stored with a non acid free backing board for years? Any thoughts?

34 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Just spoke with Shin.  He's been swamped with work and stuff.  He'll be getting the grades recorded, spreadsheets updated, and results page posted some time today. Thanks Shin!! (worship)

After he does this, then I will open up Round 5. (thumbsu

Because of the delay, I'll have Round 5 closing on Wednesday at 10:00 PM EDT, so you'll have the full 48 hours + some, to get your grades in.

Thanks for your patience and understand, everyone!

A million thanks for all the effort, Andy and Shin.  Please take your time.  It's a blast!

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

Just spoke with Shin.  He's been swamped with work and stuff.  He'll be getting the grades recorded, spreadsheets updated, and results page posted some time today. Thanks Shin!! (worship)

After he does this, then I will open up Round 5. (thumbsu

Because of the delay, I'll have Round 5 closing on Wednesday at 10:00 PM EDT, so you'll have the full 48 hours + some, to get your grades in.

Thanks for your patience and understand, everyone!

Where are the results posted? I thought it would just be a surprise at the end. I'm excited to see just how close to last place I am!