• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 4
6 6

265 posts in this topic

Oh I'm sure some of these are chosen SPECIFICALLY to elicit the groans and moans from us (LOL!) and I hope/doubt these are representative of how much extreme variability there is between similar-graded books (really that Chills and Millie were extreme).

It's a fun contest, and if you approach it as a game, it's always going to be fun (even when it's painful) :D

This round was really tough! From the start I thought the books might grade the same. Unfortunately after much second and third guessing I went with 8.5 for JIM because of the discoloration on the back cover and went with a 9 for Alf (bump?). I must consult my swami for round 5 I'll bring in my astrologers for a second opinion?

Edited by flashlites
Addition

I think the contest would still be quite challenging if he went with books that werent WTF books, plus it would be a grading contest not a WTF contest.

I thought the JIM looked damn near perfect and graded it accordingly. The Alf looked like it had too many spine tics for a high grade. Bottom line? I'm f***ed.

17 minutes ago, kav said:

I think the contest would still be quite challenging if he went with books that werent WTF books, plus it would be a grading contest not a WTF contest.

It would be challenging-- sure-- but would it be as much fun? That seems to be the point.

Then again, no one is stopping anyone from starting their own grading contest. Set it up-- I'm sure people would play.

1 minute ago, TheGeneral said:

Yep, thought the JIM was nicer too - even contemplated 9.2.

I didn't know the Alf was valuable either lol I wonder how many I've passed up in $0.25-$1 boxes over the years....

I saw a stack of em in the 50c box at my LCS and thought I was doing favor tossing em in the trash for the guy to make room for youngblood and stuff.

9 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

I thought the JIM looked damn near perfect and graded it accordingly. The Alf looked like it had too many spine tics for a high grade. Bottom line? I'm f***ed.

you know-- looking back at the books just now, I can see why I didn't hold the Alf so high in grade-- it is just easier to see the flaws with that background color. The Alf book is very strong with the exception of those obvious spine ticks and what appeared to be slight wear on that black back cover. It doesn't help that I am not very familiar with the book - I mean I know of it but couldn't tell you what a perfect copy looks like itself.

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

It would be challenging-- sure-- but would it be as much fun? That seems to be the point.

Then again, no one is stopping anyone from starting their own grading contest. Set it up-- I'm sure people would play.

For me it would be more fun-I want to test my grading skills.  Adding an element of chance doesnt make a skill contest more fun for me anyway.  I mean if I was in a karate tournement and they roll a dice after every hit to see if it counted would not be fun for me.   I mean its still fun I dont mean to disparage the contest hey a few WTF books would spice things up but a ton of them IMO doesnt.  The contest is great-maybe I feel some sour grapes is all.

As the contest rolls along I find myself not grading, but trying to second guess.

Also I do not want to see a bunch of people like this post-that would be disrespectful.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, thirdgreenham said:

This will be the 6th year now where I’ve told everyone that I don’t choose books to intentionally fool people. 

I choose books that have certain flaws, or sometimes strange flaws (where I really want to know how CGC would handle this), and also really cool books that I like and want to show off. 

Now which two I pair together in each round may have meaning and again may not. 

Just do your best for as many rounds that you remember to enter, have some fun, and hopefully learn something at the end. 

You may even win a prize! :gossip: 

And kav, I quoted you here, but I’m really talking to everyone. (thumbsu 

Thanks man that means a lot to me and makes sense.  We see chaos at the limit of our perception is all.  This info should help me in future rounds.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

For me it would be more fun-I want to test my grading skills.  Adding an element of chance doesnt make a skill contest more fun for me anyway.  I mean if I was in a karate tournement and they roll a dice after every hit to see if it counted would not be fun for me.   I mean its still fun I dont mean to disparage the contest hey a few WTF books would spice things up but a ton of them IMO doesnt.  The contest is great-maybe I feel some sour grapes is all.

As the contest rolls along I find myself not grading, but trying to second guess.

Also I do not want to see a bunch of people like this post-that would be disrespectful.

you might be over thinking the whole thing. Just go with the grade you think CGC gave it, justified or not, and good luck

3 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

This will be the 6th year now where I’ve told everyone that I don’t choose books to intentionally fool people. 

I choose books that have certain flaws, or sometimes strange flaws (where I really want to know how CGC would handle this), and also really cool books that I like and want to show off. 

Now which two I pair together in each round may have meaning and again may not. 

Just do your best for as many rounds that you remember to enter, have some fun, and hopefully learn something at the end. 

You may even win a prize! :gossip: 

And kav, I quoted you here, but I’m really talking to everyone. (thumbsu 

sorry if I inferred you were being sneaky/tricky - we're all having a good time playing your contest and appreciate the efforts.