• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CCS pressing fix bends on interior pages?

9 posts in this topic

I have a nice book from the early 1950's that's currently a CGC 7.0. with the following grader notes:

bend left top of back cover

bend left top offthrough book

I'm not sure what "ofthrough" means...maybe this was a typo? I presume the bend goes through the whole book.

Anyway, the book has some minor edge wear but otherwise looks like a great candidate for a press.  My exact question for anyone with experience is, does the pressing CCS does generally only remove bends from the cover, or does their process straighten out internal pages too? Don't wanna bother CPRing it if the interior doesn't get fixed.

Appreciate any advice or input.

I would send it to someone with a humidity chamber.  They can humidify and press which takes care of some interior bending.  I don't believe CCS does humidity chambers, but I could be wrong.

On 6/25/2018 at 5:46 PM, JollyComics said:

Have you called CGC?

Not yet, guess I should tho!...Thought this would be an easy question to answer, but guess in retrospect it wasn’t.

I’ve read a bit about pressing here and there but am no expert at all.  Figured it’d depend on if they hydrate the whole book vs just the cover or whatever?  Really I have no clue.

5 hours ago, szavisca said:

Not yet, guess I should tho!...Thought this would be an easy question to answer, but guess in retrospect it wasn’t.

I’ve read a bit about pressing here and there but am no expert at all.  Figured it’d depend on if they hydrate the whole book vs just the cover or whatever?  Really I have no clue.

CCS doesn't have the time to humidify books, they just heat the press up and close the lid then advertise that no one does pressing better than them  

I think the "of and through" note has to do with a fold that creates a visible line through the artwork at the fold.

I have some Marvel comics from the 1970's that were subscription copies folded in half for mailing.  Even after 40 years in a stack and then later bagged and boarded when those supplies became available the fold is still visible and the cover is not completely flat.  I was likewise wondering if CCS pressing would alleviate that kind of folding.  Seems to me it might be just the thing.  When I was shipped out for military service I just kept up subscriptions for four years and relatives just set them aside for me upon my return.  Back then they folded the issues vertically front to back then wrapped it in brown paper and mailed it.  The folds go up and down straight through the middle of the cover from the top center to the bottom center with cover image on the outside and back page inside.  I don't remember when they started mailing them flat.  However, I want to grade some Spider-Man issues with the Death of Gwen Stacy and the first appearance of the Punisher.  I don't think they'd grade high with the subscription fold.  Anyone with knowledge about pressing out this kind of fold, please reply.  The fold has not created any loss of the cover artwork.  No line visible, just a bulge.   Thanks all.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:03 PM, David Stager said:

I think the "of and through" note has to do with a fold that creates a visible line through the artwork at the fold.

I have some Marvel comics from the 1970's that were subscription copies folded in half for mailing.  Even after 40 years in a stack and then later bagged and boarded when those supplies became available the fold is still visible and the cover is not completely flat.  I was likewise wondering if CCS pressing would alleviate that kind of folding.  Seems to me it might be just the thing.  When I was shipped out for military service I just kept up subscriptions for four years and relatives just set them aside for me upon my return.  Back then they folded the issues vertically front to back then wrapped it in brown paper and mailed it.  The folds go up and down straight through the middle of the cover from the top center to the bottom center with cover image on the outside and back page inside.  I don't remember when they started mailing them flat.  However, I want to grade some Spider-Man issues with the Death of Gwen Stacy and the first appearance of the Punisher.  I don't think they'd grade high with the subscription fold.  Anyone with knowledge about pressing out this kind of fold, please reply.  The fold has not created any loss of the cover artwork.  No line visible, just a bulge.   Thanks all.

To be completely honest I couldn’t see the defects that Cgc had mentioned and it was only the way they phrased the notes using the term “off through” that made me think the bend was affecting internal pages.

Not even entirely sure my interpretation is right, but I sent it off for a press and regrade so I’ll report back in 4 to 6 months...as to your question about fixing subscription creases I don’t know, but you may want to ask In a separate thread so more eyes will see the question.