• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to buy? FF1 or Hulk 1 3.0-4.0
1 1

46 posts in this topic

This board has been so great to me helping me build my key collection and also giving me direction on what to buy.

Working on one of my next keys and would love some direction. If you were making a key purchase today and this would probably be the biggest purchase for the year which direction would you go?

Also if anyone has any leads it would be great. Looking to go at least OW and no chipping. 

As always thanks for everything!!!

AJ

Ok one response for Hulk 1 and one for FF 1. I want them both so let me ask which would you start with so hopefully the 2nd one has not outgained the first and become less attainable for me?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Hulk 1 has cooled a little from it's mercuric (...and deserved) rise of a few years ago. The FF 1 has been on a tear lately, presumably due to movie speculation. If price is your concern, and both are at robust levels already, I might hit the Hulk , which is cheaper, now.... and lock in. I think the FF 1 may actually experience a correction, because I'm doubtful that ANYONE in Hollywood, Marvel included, is actually able to "get" what makes the FF tick …. and in this age of the Anti Hero, what the Fantastic Four actually represent may not be what the public wants..... therefore you get either a forced effort at a "different" version, or something that seems campy and spoofish. The FF should not be the film to spoof the super hero movie genre, IMHO. When the FF was at it's most successful it did capitalize on the humor in dysfunctionality, but it deftly counterbalanced that with an extreme seriousness and a focus on the bizarre and, well, the fantastic. Both first appearances are about equally rare, with Hulk 1 maybe slightly moreso ….which is why I would target that one while it is "resting". I think many of the FF sales may be to people who are interested in strictly resale ...when all those are flipped back into the market, there will be some losers,,,, and some bargains to be had. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Ok seriously Jim for President! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort that put together such a solid argument. I would agree with all of your points. I am going to lean heavy hulk unless a great FF1 deal rolls around.

Here Hulky, Hulk, Hulk.....

20 minutes ago, AJCohen said:

Ok seriously Jim for President! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort that put together such a solid argument. I would agree with all of your points. I am going to lean heavy hulk unless a great FF1 deal rolls around.

Here Hulky, Hulk, Hulk.....

Try to hold out for one without marvel chipping..... it will likely be a bit more, but worth it. When you get to the FF, find a white one with strong reds in the logo.... IMHO. GOD BLESS....

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Try to hold out for one without marvel chipping..... it will likely be a bit more, but worth it. When you get to the FF, find a white one with strong reds in the logo.... IMHO. GOD BLESS....

And on an FF1, I’d look for the tougher dark green monster with no creasing or scuffs inside of his mouth. Not easy to find that combination with what Jim mentioned already. 

It sounds like you've made your choice and gone with Hulk.  That is what I would go for.  I love FF 1 but do not have one.  I searched for quite sometime before I could find a Hulk 1 that I could afford and that wasn't totally blown apart.  Both are such amazing books for several reasons.  

GPA shows data for 22 sales of FF 1 in the last 12 months (in 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0) with huge upswings in sales prices over the last year. 3.0's were selling for ~$3,500 a year ago vs. the last sale of ~$9,000, and 4.0's were selling for ~$7,000 a year ago vs. the last sale of ~$13,000. GPA shows data for 19 sales of Hulk 1 in the last 12 months (in 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0) with fairly stable sales prices.

I posted this graphic last week in the AF 15 thread, but I think the image is relevant here as well. I suspect FF 1 is about to peak like Hulk 1 did around 2015 and like AF 15 did last year, and FF 1 sales over the next year or so will follow the trend below for what happened to AF 15 and Hulk 1 after their peaks.

I'd go for a Hulk 1 before it picks up steam again after ~3 years of holding steady price-wise.

228182321_Hulk1_AF15_35_60_June12_2018.thumb.jpg.ad678796a7c91ceac8369875065b4c82.jpg

23 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Hulk 1 has cooled a little from it's mercuric (...and deserved) rise of a few years ago. The FF 1 has been on a tear lately, presumably due to movie speculation. If price is your concern, and both are at robust levels already, I might hit the Hulk , which is cheaper, now.... and lock in. I think the FF 1 may actually experience a correction, because I'm doubtful that ANYONE in Hollywood, Marvel included, is actually able to "get" what makes the FF tick …. and in this age of the Anti Hero, what the Fantastic Four actually represent may not be what the public wants..... therefore you get either a forced effort at a "different" version, or something that seems campy and spoofish. The FF should not be the film to spoof the super hero movie genre, IMHO. When the FF was at it's most successful it did capitalize on the humor in dysfunctionality, but it deftly counterbalanced that with an extreme seriousness and a focus on the bizarre and, well, the fantastic. Both first appearances are about equally rare, with Hulk 1 maybe slightly moreso ….which is why I would target that one while it is "resting". I think many of the FF sales may be to people who are interested in strictly resale ...when all those are flipped back into the market, there will be some losers,,,, and some bargains to be had. GOD BLESS....

i couldn't agree more with what jim said. plus he's right about hulk 1 not really having moved in a few years, as opposed to FF1 being very hot just now. as with most investments, the time to buy is when it is not hot. FF1 very hot right now! ouch!