• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to buy? FF1 or Hulk 1 3.0-4.0
1 1

46 posts in this topic

As others have said, if you could find an FF1 with a clean Gigantor (black mouth), “whiter” cover, and no chipping, go for it as nicer looking copies are harder to find. There always seem to be decent low grade Hulks available. Hulk must have deeper blues, and if not try to wait. With both, definitely no chipping. I think FF1 was long overdue for a bump and the price will not be falling any time soon. You might see a little decline, as you will see with all, but it’s a beast of a book that has room to grow. 

A good way to choose is to keep a hungry look out for both- the copies that meet your standards. The first one that fits your “oh yeah, this is my copy” standard, go for it! You really can’t lose with either. Both are classics that you will be proud to own. Good luck. Please share when you get one. 

I guess if you're looking to invest, I'd go with Hulk 1 since it seems like a much better time to buy than a couple of years ago. Not to mention the FF 1 has a lot of heat right now.

If you're a collector, I think FF is, has always been, and will always be the Alpha Dog SA Marvel title.

8 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

As others have said, if you could find an FF1 with a clean Gigantor (black mouth), “whiter” cover, and no chipping, go for it as nicer looking copies are harder to find. There always seem to be decent low grade Hulks available. Hulk must have deeper blues, and if not try to wait. With both, definitely no chipping. I think FF1 was long overdue for a bump and the price will not be falling any time soon. You might see a little decline, as you will see with all, but it’s a beast of a book that has room to grow. 

A good way to choose is to keep a hungry look out for both- the copies that meet your standards. The first one that fits your “oh yeah, this is my copy” standard, go for it! You really can’t lose with either. Both are classics that you will be proud to own. Good luck. Please share when you get one. 

…. There is also the option of Time payments that most larger and reputable dealers offer.... most are interest free. With layaway, one could conceivably snag both. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

Last year AF 15 was the hottest SA book of the year, this year it is FF 1.  What will it be next year?

if it's not the first superman v. flash race, i'll have missed my bet.

27 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:
30 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Last year AF 15 was the hottest SA book of the year, this year it is FF 1.  What will it be next year?

if it's not the first superman v. flash race, i'll have missed my bet.

:news:You heard it first!! 

I would personally rather have FF #1, but they are both great comics and you can't really go wrong with either one. I'd buy which ever one you find first in your price range that looks the best! Happy buying! Be sure to post it here when you get it :applause:

1 minute ago, Not A Clone said:

I would personally rather have FF #1, but they are both great comics and you can't really go wrong with either one. I'd buy which ever one you find first in your price range that looks the best! Happy buying! Be sure to post it here when you get it :applause:

I don’t think I’d change a word.

I recently had the same dilemma.  Hulk 1 vs FF1.  I ended up getting the Hulk 1 and couple weeks later a decent FF1 presented itself so I had to go after it.  

Interesting the FF1 4.0 on comiclink is going for more than Hulk 1 4.0 on comiclink.  Has FF1 surpassed Hulk 1 in price?

55 minutes ago, pins79 said:

Interesting the FF1 4.0 on comiclink is going for more than Hulk 1 4.0 on comiclink.  Has FF1 surpassed Hulk 1 in price?

If it hasn't already, at least based on historical valuations, FF1 should surpass Hulk 1.  FF1 was long overdue for a a significant correction.

4 hours ago, pins79 said:

I recently had the same dilemma.  Hulk 1 vs FF1.  I ended up getting the Hulk 1 and couple weeks later a decent FF1 presented itself so I had to go after it.  

on certain grades, it's recently done better than hulk 1

On 6/18/2018 at 12:46 PM, drbanner said:

GPA shows data for 22 sales of FF 1 in the last 12 months (in 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0) with huge upswings in sales prices over the last year. 3.0's were selling for ~$3,500 a year ago vs. the last sale of ~$9,000, and 4.0's were selling for ~$7,000 a year ago vs. the last sale of ~$13,000. GPA shows data for 19 sales of Hulk 1 in the last 12 months (in 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0) with fairly stable sales prices.

I posted this graphic last week in the AF 15 thread, but I think the image is relevant here as well. I suspect FF 1 is about to peak like Hulk 1 did around 2015 and like AF 15 did last year, and FF 1 sales over the next year or so will follow the trend below for what happened to AF 15 and Hulk 1 after their peaks.

I'd go for a Hulk 1 before it picks up steam again after ~3 years of holding steady price-wise.

228182321_Hulk1_AF15_35_60_June12_2018.thumb.jpg.ad678796a7c91ceac8369875065b4c82.jpg

I'm just seeing this thread now.  My question is whether or not these upswings to both AF and Hulk can be somewhat attributed to the respective characters entry into the MCU.  If that is the case, wouldn't it make more sense to expect an upward swing to FF than IH?

I'd argue FF is the better short term investment.  Though, it's also possible that it's too late to buy an "affordably" priced FF in the 2 months since this thread started.  Long term value probably resides in IH#1 though simply because Hulk is a more well known and marketable property and has been for the last 30+ years.

But if you're just looking to add to your collection, then it's really a matter of which tickles your pickle (not that it matters since OP already made a decision and bought a book).  Personally, the FF cover is more engaging, exciting, and iconic to me.