• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most significant original Silver Age DC created character?
2 2

73 posts in this topic

Pretty easy to say that Spidey is the greatest original character to come out of the SA. 

What about DC?

Who's the greatest original DC creation to come out of the SA (Tec 225 and 233 are pre-Showcase 4 books so they don't count as SA)?

Sgt. Rock?

Deadman?

Animal Man?

Metamorpho?

Cave Carson?

Enemy Ace?

Unknown Soldier?

Batgirl?

Poison Ivy?

Mr. Freeze?

Brainiac?

Supergirl?

Kid Flash?

Professor Zoom?

Adam Strange?

Space Ranger?

Rip Hunter?

Challengers of the Unknown?

Metal Men?

Doom Patrol?

Sea Devils?

Legion of Superheroes 

Who is the greatest original DC character(s) to come out of the SA?

Edited by bronze johnny

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Batgirl?
Supergirl?

Kid Flash?

Professor Zoom?

So Barry Allen and Hal Jordan aren't "original" characters, but they are? Um... yeah...

Also, Martian Manhunter is definitely a SA character.

!. Enemy Ace due to interesting stories.

2. Poison Ivy because she is hugely popular with the Batman Animated adventures cartoon sect, a buddy of Harlequin, and part of  the Gotham City :grin: Girls team.

3. Brainiac because he shrank down Kandor city.

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

So Barry Allen and Hal Jordan aren't "original" characters, but they are? Um... yeah...

Also, Martian Manhunter is definitely a SA character.

Um...no.

This thread is about a character based on a new and original concept. This isn't about revising an already existing character with a new alter ego, origin, and costume change. SC 4 and SC 22 are the first SA appearances of the Flash and Green Lantern. It is Showcase 4 presents the Flash and Showcase 22 presents the Green Lantern. Showcase 4 presents Barry Allen? Showcase 22 presents Hal Jordan? Flash 105 and Green Lantern 1. Barry Allen 105 and Hal Jordan 1? Yes, the alter egos are an important part of the comic book but it's the superhero who defines the comic and the primary reason why the kids buy the books.

It's also important to note that the "Big 5" war books and the non-superheroes who appear in them. The "Big 5" is another of DC's great contributions to the SA- the apex of the war genre in the history of the American Comic Book. This thread is about DC's most significant original character creation. 

As for Tec 225 and the Martian Manhunter. You're welcome to start your own thread about whether Tec 225 is the first SA book. The general consensus is that SC 4 is the first SA book and I've taken notice of that for this thread. 

14 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

!. Enemy Ace due to interesting stories.

2. Poison Ivy because she is hugely popular with the Batman Animated adventures cartoon sect, a buddy of Harlequin, and part of  the Gotham City :grin: Girls team.

3. Brainiac because he shrank down Kandor city.

Interesting, two of your choices are based on story content while the remaining one is based on current popularity. I like them.(thumbsu

As far as significance, I would say Supergirl might be the most important DC character. DC has a strong lineup of females created throughout the SA such as Wonder Girl, Zatanna, Ivy and Babs, but I would think Supergirl was the most impactful. Only Batgirl would rival her in terms of popularity/relevance across the decades and across various media, but she's obviously a derivative of Supergirl who came several years sooner.

I'm not into the War genre, but I would think Sgt. Rock should be at or near the top as well in terms of significance.

I don't really think any of the other names on the list would have the broad appeal of those 3 characters.

Challengers of the Unknown?  Maybe.  They are a definite precursor to the FF and thus a gateway for all SA superheroes.  I think a strong argument can be made but not sure how much mental energy i want to spend on working out what that exactly is

10 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

This thread is about a character based on a new and original concept. This isn't about revising an already existing character with a new alter ego, origin, and costume change.

You could have fooled me with the examples that I singled out.

Kid Flash is revising an already existing character by making a younger version... with the same costume and origin!

Professor Zoom (AKA the Reverse Flash) is revising an already existing character by reversing the colours of the costume.

Supergirl is revising an already existing character by adding boobs and slightly altering the costume.

Batgirl is revising an already existing character by adding boobs and slightly altering the costume.

:facepalm:

SC 4 and SC 22 are the first SA appearances of the Flash and Green Lantern.

No, they are the first appearances of the SA Flash (Barry Allen) and the SA Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), not the first SA appearances of Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

11 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

It is Showcase 4 presents the Flash and Showcase 22 presents the Green Lantern. Showcase 4 presents Barry Allen? Showcase 22 presents Hal Jordan? Flash 105 and Green Lantern 1. Barry Allen 105 and Hal Jordan 1? Yes, the alter egos are an important part of the comic book but it's the superhero who defines the comic and the primary reason why the kids buy the books.

I'm not arguing that you should include Hal and Barry in the appropriate responses for this thread, just that you have to be consistent in your exclusions.

It's also important to note that the "Big 5" war books and the non-superheroes who appear in them. The "Big 5" is another of DC's great contributions to the SA- the apex of the war genre in the history of the American Comic Book. This thread is about DC's most significant original character creation.

How "original" is Sgt. Rock, really? Did no previous war books feature army sergeants?

Sure, the idea to reuse characters was new to the genre (right? I'm not a follower of the genre), but that's a different point.

As for Tec 225 and the Martian Manhunter. You're welcome to start your own thread about whether Tec 225 is the first SA book. The general consensus is that SC 4 is the first SA book and I've taken notice of that for this thread.

So is Detective Comics 1 not GA? I'm pretty sure everybody considers it to be GA, despite it predating Action Comics 1.

You're being far too literal with the "first (X Age) book" title.

17 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You could have fooled me with the examples that I singled out.

Kid Flash is revising an already existing character by making a younger version... with the same costume and origin!

Professor Zoom (AKA the Reverse Flash) is revising an already existing character by reversing the colours of the costume.

Supergirl is revising an already existing character by adding boobs and slightly altering the costume.

Batgirl is revising an already existing character by adding boobs and slightly altering the costume.

:facepalm:

No, they are the first appearances of the SA Flash (Barry Allen) and the SA Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), not the first SA appearances of Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

I'm not arguing that you should include Hal and Barry in the appropriate responses for this thread, just that you have to be consistent in your exclusions.

How "original" is Sgt. Rock, really? Did no previous war books feature army sergeants?

Sure, the idea to reuse characters was new to the genre (right? I'm not a follower of the genre), but that's a different point.

So is Detective Comics 1 not GA? I'm pretty sure everybody considers it to be GA, despite it predating Action Comics 1.

You're being far too literal with the "first (X Age) book" title.

Your input is noted(thumbsu

Some of my favorites are: The Atomic Knights, Congorilla, Eclipso and Rip Hunter Time Master but I agree with the choice of Adam Strange as most significant. I still have my run of Mystery In Space and the Showcase try out issues even though I sold the other DCs years ago.

Edited by Tony D
mistake

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

No love for Martian Manhunter?

Apparently he's not a SA character. Which is news to everybody.

I'm still not sure what my answer is, but he's definitely a contender.

17 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I will go with Sgt.Rock.

His comic series lasted what over 300 issues?

Eventually they will make that SGT.ROCK movie than boom mainstream will discover how great the character and Joe Kubert are.

Kubert is probably the Jack Kirby of war comics artists.

Yep,Sgt.Rock it is for me.

How well known and beloved among the general populace is Jack Kirby after his creations have raked in billions at the box office?  And that's assuming the existence and success of a movie. :facepalm:

After OAAW became his title (officially - his name on the cover was more prominent than the title for 144 issues), it ran for another 121 issues. It was cancelled 30 years ago. Shortly after that, he got a quarterly series which became monthly after a couple of years... only to be quickly cancelled again. Sgt. Rock has been mostly insignificant since then. Not a very strong argument for "most significant original Silver Age DC created character", is it?