• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most significant original Silver Age DC created character?
2 2

73 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

How well known and beloved among the general populace is Jack Kirby after his creations have raked in billions at the box office?  And that's assuming the existence and success of a movie. :facepalm:

After OAAW became his title (officially - his name on the cover was more prominent than the title for 144 issues), it ran for another 121 issues. It was cancelled 30 years ago. Shortly after that, he got a quarterly series which became monthly after a couple of years... only to be quickly cancelled again. Sgt. Rock has been mostly insignificant since then. Not a very strong argument for "most significant original Silver Age DC created character", is it?

Actually I was going from op`s list. If I had to say who DCs most significant original Silver Age character would have been hands down Barry Allen Flash,but op excluded him from the list,and I had to pick from this list which Rock stands out. 

Sgt. Rock?

Deadman?

Animal Man?

Metamorpho?

Cave Carson?

Enemy Ace?

Unknown Soldier?

Batgirl?

Poison Ivy?

Mr. Freeze?

Brainiac?

Supergirl?

Kid Flash?

Professor Zoom?

I could have said Supergirl,KidFlash or Batgirl but I don't see how original they are compared to Barry Allen Flash.

With Sgt. Rock all he needs is one time big time movie. With them now going to give BlackHawk one I don't see Sgt.Rock being ignored much longer for the big screen.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

21 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

With them now going to give BlackHawk one I don't see Sgt.Rock being ignored much longer for the big screen.

I had to look this up to see it it was true.

“Strange times, Norman. Strange times.”

Edited by KirbyJack

37 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I had to look this up to see it it was true.

“Strange times, Norman. Strange times.”

Yeah, Spielberg himself is doing the BlackHawk film.

Steven Spielberg to Direct Film Adaptation of DC’s ‘Blackhawk

Steven Spielberg Blackhawkhttps://variety.com/2018/film/news/steven-spielberg-blackhawk-dc-1202756319/

Spielberg is finally taking on a superhero movie.

The prolific director and his Amblin Entertainment are teaming with Warner Bros. to produce action-adventure “Blackhawk,” with the intention of Spielberg directing.

Based on the classic comic-book property, the project will mark the filmmaker’s first feature centered on characters from the DC universe. Spielberg most recently directed “Ready Player One” for Warner Bros., which has so far grossed $476 million worldwidefollowing its release late last month.

“We are so proud to be the studio behind Steven Spielberg’s latest hit, and are thrilled to be working with him again on this new action adventure,” said Toby Emmerich, chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group. “We can’t wait to see what new ground he will break in introducing ‘Blackhawk’ to movie audiences worldwide.”

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 6/18/2018 at 6:11 AM, aardvark88 said:

!. Enemy Ace due to interesting stories.

2. Poison Ivy because she is hugely popular with the Batman Animated adventures cartoon sect, a buddy of Harlequin, and part of  the Gotham City :grin: Girls team.

3. Brainiac because he shrank down Kandor city.

I'm glad someone mentioned Kandor how selfish has Supes been all these years, I'm the only ONE so there sticking his tongue out.:)

21 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I will go with Sgt.Rock.

His comic series lasted what over 300 issues?

Eventually they will make that SGT.ROCK movie than boom mainstream will discover how great the character and Joe Kubert are.

Kubert is probably the Jack Kirby of war comics artists.

Yep,Sgt.Rock it is for me.

The idea for this thread cam from my learning about Chris Pedrin's (Big Five author) position that Sgt. Rock is DC's greatest original SA creation.  Pedrin will agree with you.

Agree with you about Kubert being the Kirby of war comics. (thumbsu

As a huge Joe Kubert fan, Sgt Rock works for me as a choice. Always enjoy his stories written by Robert Kanigher. 

Previously, the Challengers of the Unknown = Fantastic Four interrelationship was mentioned.

There's also Doom Patrol = X-Men to mention for the same reason.

20 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
On 6/19/2018 at 10:44 AM, zhamlau said:

No love for Martian Manhunter?

Apparently he's not a SA character. Which is news to everybody.

I'm still not sure what my answer is, but he's definitely a contender.

I guess cause its a few months before Showcase 4? But than doesn't that mean that the real start of the Silver Age is Tec 225? If the argument is that The Flash reintro, with its bend to science and tech as an origin instead of just magic is the start of a new era of Superheroes and how they came to be, why wouldn't a story about a martian pulled from another planet by an experimental teleportation beam count as a "silver age style" superhero origin?

On 6/20/2018 at 8:37 AM, Ken Aldred said:

As a huge Joe Kubert fan, Sgt Rock works for me as a choice. Always enjoy his stories written by Robert Kanigher. 

Previously, the Challengers of the Unknown = Fantastic Four interrelationship was mentioned.

There's also Doom Patrol = X-Men to mention for the same reason.

Interestingly, OAAW 83 and Showcase 17 are the most valuable books for their genres per Overstreet. There's much to be said about DC's contribution to the non-superhero genres.

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

I think what's interesting is if we apply OP's parameters of no derivative characters and preclude MM as too early, we have a wide-open field of candidates. I can see merit to most all the arguments made.

How about the Legion of Superheroes?

Interesting you mention the Legion. I originally had a single character in mind when starting this thread but the suggestions made by boardies concerning teams had me adding them to the list. The one reason why I didn't include Legion, and Adventure 247 is a personal favorite, has to do with Superboy having first appeared long before   SC 4- and Superboy is a significant piece of the Legion puzzle. Still, I can add him to the list if you think my emphasis on Superboy's role in the Legion is too much. Thanks for raising the Legion. 

26 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Interesting you mention the Legion. I originally had a single character in mind when starting this thread but the suggestions made by boardies concerning teams had me adding them to the list. The one reason why I didn't include Legion, and Adventure 247 is a personal favorite, has to do with Superboy having first appeared long before   SC 4- and Superboy is a significant piece of the Legion puzzle. Still, I can add him to the list if you think my emphasis on Superboy's role in the Legion is too much. Thanks for raising the Legion. 

I follow your logic as it fits the outset parameters, but the Legion itself is a fresh concept that grew out of that one little Superboy tale and took on a life of its own, so I think a case can be made for them on their own merits. They are more supporting characters who took off than a derivative.

Depends what you mean by "significant."  As far as being significant at the time, I'd say it's between Sgt. Rock, Challengers, Space Ranger, and Adam Strange.  My pick would be Adam Strange because he was more integrated into the DC Universe:  he frequently teamed up with other heroes and his title hosted what was arguably the best JLA story of the SA in MIS 75.