• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most significant original Silver Age DC created character?
2 2

73 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2018 at 11:07 PM, Readcomix said:

I follow your logic as it fits the outset parameters, but the Legion itself is a fresh concept that grew out of that one little Superboy tale and took on a life of its own, so I think a case can be made for them on their own merits. They are more supporting characters who took off than a derivative.

Agreed. Definitely an original overall concept. Added the Legion to the list. 

59 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

He is dating Ms. Metamucil

His home planet is named after an indigestion remedy.

You're pretty specific about when for the purpose of this argument when the Silver Age begins.  What about when it ends?  Do Kirby's New Gods/Forever People fit into the Silver Age in this?  If so Darkseid might be pretty significant.

27 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

You're pretty specific about when for the purpose of this argument when the Silver Age begins.  What about when it ends?  Do Kirby's New Gods/Forever People fit into the Silver Age in this?  If so Darkseid might be pretty significant.

Classic Bronze Age.

Would say Batgirl, especially since it's not just a Batgirl, but Barbara Gordon as Batgirl (though that same logic should extend to Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, each of whom is significant in their own right).

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I would say Batgirl and Supergirl as 1A and 1B, followed by Poison Ivy and then Braniac. 

I’d go with this list as well.  If we’re expanding into concepts, how about Earth-2?

The least significant or most annoying villains/characters of the Silver Age:

The Winner:

The Eraser from Batman 188. Hey, he dresses up like a pencil. Makes Kite Man look cool.Terrified of pencil sharpeners.

Others I'd like to forget:

Mopee from Flash 167.

Polka Dot Man from Detective 300.Ooo dat's scary!!

99% of the heroes Robby Reed dialed himself into. Kandy Kane Man anyone?

Zook who hung out with the Martian Manhunter. Club that little nudist like a baby seal.

Major Mynah from the Atom. Roast in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

On July 23, 2018 at 3:06 PM, bpc3qh said:

Would say Batgirl, especially since it's not just a Batgirl, but Barbara Gordon as Batgirl (though that same logic should extend to Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, each of whom is significant in their own right).

I would agree; I only came up with the Legion based on OP's non-derivative parameters. Somebody just flagged earth 2; I like that as well. Significant as they are already, I still think Flash 123 (and Avengers 4 on the Marvel side) are underrated for their roles in bringing the golden age forward into then-modern continuity. (Yes, I know FF4 precedes Avengers 4, and Namor is important, but I think Cap is more pivotal in the Marvel universe over the years -- just explaining my point; I don't want to derail the thread.) Bottom line is I like the case for Earth-2 as an answer here even though it's not a single character but a concept.

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:

Tough to categorize each to fit the question...  to me Deadman stands out as the most ORIGINAL concept.  He is DEAD.  THAT EVER BEEN DONE BEFORE?

Isn't the spectre dead corrigan?