• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone please explain to me why there is this silly tag above my avatar?
3 3

136 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Who loves ya baby......:luhv:

Well...around here...apparently no one.  Except maybe Mr. Mozart. 

And to think I thought I was finally making some friends in this world.

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

There's more pots and kettles in this thread than in a pots and kettles shop with a sale on 9_9

Marwood, I will add that your post was one of the very few that I did read for no other reason than that it came directly into my personal email account and I agreed with every word you said, which was very thoughtful and expressed exactly how I felt concerning the matter.

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:
3 hours ago, FSF said:

First off, where did I say that I didn't expect people to reply?  I was curious about what I asked about so I asked here.  Where should have I levied the question?  In a PM to random members?  Obviously I hoped and expected that someone would ANSWER my QUESTION.  Once that part was done, I expected that the thread would die.  This thread was never intended to be open-ended.  I've certainly not done anything to make it into what it is nor did I ever expect the admin to chime in.  I honestly have not read even a dozen of the posts (which is rare for me as I usually read everything involved in a thread I start and or am active in).  I've scanned the pages and it appears (not sure) that a lot of people are making wisecracks (probably at my expense which is fine). 

There are endless topics I could start that would probably engender heavy discussion and if I wanted attention or wanted people to reply and agree with me, this would not have been the sort of thing I would have started.  Nor would I have less than a couple of hundred posts in all internet forums combined during the entire 2018 year.

Who loves ya baby......:luhv:

SEE WHAT YOU DID?!

heterotrophic-nutrition-20-638.jpg

Edited by kav
@!*#!! Oakman!!

6 hours ago, FSF said:
7 hours ago, oakman29 said:

First off, where did I say that I didn't expect people to reply?  I was curious about what I asked about so I asked here.  Where should have I levied the question?  In a PM to random members?  Obviously I hoped and expected that someone would ANSWER my QUESTION.  Once that part was done, I expected that the thread would die.  

This is why they created the moderated Ask CGC section.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

Edited by WasThatYou?

5 hours ago, FSF said:

Well...around here...apparently no one.  Except maybe Mr. Mozart. 

And to think I thought I was finally making some friends in this world.

Just because we disagree on a matter doesn't mean I don't like you.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, WasThatYou? said:

This is why they created the moderated Ask CGC section.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

Actually it's fine right where it is. While this may not be a mountain to anyone, this is something we can easily change and change in way that reflects what the community wants. The feedback is appreciated.

11 minutes ago, dena said:

Actually it's fine right where it is. While this may not be a mountain to anyone, this is something we can easily change and change in way that reflects what the community wants. The feedback is appreciated.

I suggest we change the "just got here" generic custom title to "stu" 2c

Edited by bababooey

My suggestion would be that all, randomly assigned titles be eliminated. Those with real custom titles would be kept.
In return, a forum section could be created where members could nominate other members for a custom title and a discussion could ensue with the hopes of narrowing down the perfect custom title for that particular board member... much like the probation discussion section with a more positive swing.
After a certain time, an admin. would swoop in and either add the custom title, deny the title, or let it ride for further discussion.

On 6/18/2018 at 8:59 AM, dena said:

We've been talking about changing those titles. I'm open to hear your suggestions if you want to post them here.

I think they are just fine and find it rather odd and sad that someone would take issue with it.

12 minutes ago, newshane said:

I think they are just fine and find it rather odd and sad that someone would take issue with it.

We almost share the same title newshane!  But odd and sad? Coming from the original 'I hate the new boards' author, I'm a little disappointed.

23 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

My suggestion would be that all, randomly assigned titles be eliminated. Those with real custom titles would be kept.
In return, a forum section could be created where members could nominate other members for a custom title and a discussion could ensue with the hopes of narrowing down the perfect custom title for that particular board member... much like the probation discussion section with a more positive swing.
After a certain time, an admin. would swoop in and either add the custom title, deny the title, or let it ride for further discussion.

Too much scope for conflict I think DeadOne,  given the wild variance in members senses of humour around here :tonofbricks:

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Just because we disagree on a matter doesn't mean I don't like you.

I was obviously just kidding around, which is primarily the main thing I do on an internet forum, unless there is a serious topic being discussed.  I never get upset with other folks over the internet and rarely in real life and there is no member that I dislike or will likely ever dislike regardless of what I post or they post.  It's all good.  And quite frankly, as a general rule, the people that I engage in regular debates with are some of the folks that I would be most disappointed with if they left for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Too much scope for conflict I think DeadOne,  given the wild variance in members senses of humour around here :tonofbricks:

That's very true.

This place is definitely filled with people who absolutely enjoy finger stirring everyone else's lemonade. 

12 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

That's very true.

This place is definitely filled with people who absolutely enjoy finger stirring everyone else's lemonade. 

Funnily enough, I was just drinking a glass as I read your post! :bigsmile:

I'm not drinking it now :eek:

3 hours ago, dena said:
4 hours ago, bababooey said:

I suggest we change the "just got here" generic custom title to "stu" 2c

^^

I would recommend not making light of what Mr. Cathell does, which clearly crossed the line from simple tweeking to criminal stalking and harassment, with deliberate and persistent invasion of privacy, quite some time ago.

3 hours ago, DeadOne said:

Custom titles, to a degree, are manifestations of administrator sentiment about a particular poster. While they're great if they're the result of someone seeing a clever quip or funny statement, occasionally they've been used to subtly editorialize about specific posters. 

That's not good, whether the recipient likes it in spite of the sentiment or not. Custom titles "send a message", positive, negative, or somewhere in between. Usually, overwhelmingly, that message has been positive...but not always.

I think your suggestion here...which removes the element of control from administration to other members...with ultimate veto ability by the recipient...is as good as any, if administration is willing.

Frankly, custom titles smell a bit too much like high school popularity contests, and shouldn't have a place in a professional environment at all. 

Yeah, I know...I'm lotsa fun at parties. :D But, since we're having the discussion already....

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
14 hours ago, FSF said:

No, it doesn't bother me that much but I'd clearly rather it not be there.  But let's be fair. I'm not the one drawing it out and I never expected that it would garner more that a few replies.  Apart from my OP, I only responded to a question by the administrator, and my last post, while the thread was atop the first page.

Mountains out of molehills is an especialité of the CGC boards.

:cloud9:

Just for the record, FSF, my comment wasn't directed at you, but rather the reaction to you and your thread, in case that wasn't clear. ;) I think your position is perfectly legitimate, even if not all that high in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus