• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long is reasonable for books to be in a shopping cart
3 3

30 posts in this topic

id say that buying comics is somewhat different than the products its been compared to in this thread.  To me the analogy is what happens at a convention,  If someone is standing at a booth holding a comic, its "his" until he passes on it. So online, if its in someones cart, "buyer 1" has still got dibs on it.  However, how to prevent "buyers" from holding books they will never actually buy?  Thats the question here.  Perhaps a specific WARNING when adding books to their cart that states the specific HOLDING period, say 24 hours. After that it automatically goes back in circulation. (with a record for the Buyer 1 to link back to it to facilitate the sale should he want to...)  In addition, the books stays listed on the site as for sale, but with a badge that says "In a Cart" or something, or "ON HOLD"... and allow others to "INQUIRE".  Bob gets alerted that someone is interested in buying it now (at listed price).  Bob then contacts the HOLDER to poop or get off the pot.  This works out for Bob, AND pleases everyone, and sounds fair.  Also, set a limit that no one can add same book to his cart more than twice within 30 days or the can tie a book up indefinitely....

Just costs Bob a few big bucks in coding expenses!

3 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

id say that buying comics is somewhat different than the products its been compared to in this thread.  To me the analogy is what happens at a convention,  If someone is standing at a booth holding a comic, its "his" until he passes on it. So online, if its in someones cart, "buyer 1" has still got dibs on it.  However, how to prevent "buyers" from holding books they will never actually buy?  Thats the question here.  Perhaps a specific WARNING when adding books to their cart that states the specific HOLDING period, say 24 hours. After that it automatically goes back in circulation. (with a record for the Buyer 1 to link back to it to facilitate the sale should he want to...)  In addition, the books stays listed on the site as for sale, but with a badge that says "In a Cart" or something, or "ON HOLD"... and allow others to "INQUIRE".  Bob gets alerted that someone is interested in buying it now (at listed price).  Bob then contacts the HOLDER to poop or get off the pot.  This works out for Bob, AND pleases everyone, and sounds fair.  Also, set a limit that no one can add same book to his cart more than twice within 30 days or the can tie a book up indefinitely....

It's certainly a well composed argument, but I just don't see any reason why comics should be treated any differently by an e-retailer than any other item would be. It's either sold or not. I don't see any advantage for the seller in letting his customers hold items, even if just for 24 hours. That's still an entire day for the book to be passed over by potential buyers, in favor of a "buyer" who may or may not choose to complete the transaction.

thats the question.  Sure, buying online is buying online.  but we are a much smaller crowd than the usual Amazon customer.  And buying vintage comics is far more selective than a mass produced widget, toaster or pillow etc etc etc.  SO that why I think for Bob's customers deserve if not EXPECT an allowance for comics as a specialty item requires a more forgiving approach similar to what his analog customers at conventions expect when they signal an interest in a book.

don't forget that 99% of online items are available from multiple sources and sites.  They can sell out, but also be restocked.  Not so for comics which may not show up again for awhile. Bob COULD maintain buy it or lose it approach... but -- buy asking here -- sounds like he wants a more personable or forgiving method..

so I think Bib is seeking a digital way to replicate customers calling him to inquire and reserve a book, which is time consuming...

Edited by Aman619

32 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

The problem here is that you're proposing a system that has three main drawbacks for the person who creates the system:

1) the dealer has to pay more to create such a system (your "coding expenses")

2) the dealer risks losing sales as a possible buyer hums and haws over what is in the cart

3) the dealer risks losing potential sales while a buyer "squats" on a book, and potentially sources it elsewhere - or even uses th dealer's price as a negotiating point to get a better deal from the dealer's competitor

This is fundamentally different from a buyer "holding" a book for a few minutes at a con. It's asking a dealer to finance a system that is contrary to his/her own best interests.

In theory, you could build such a system and market the "hold it in your cart indefinitely" feature as a competitive advantage, but I have a hard time imagining this would produce any greater income in the real world. And, if you're a dealer, "greater income" is the reason why you would have a shopping cart system in the first place.

There is also apps that lets customers know they have items in their shopping cart that has been abandoned so you can retarget them, Look into it.  

Definitely get more involved in social media, Great book out there if you're not aware called "Jab Jab, Right hook" by Gary Vee on how to market through social media and drive traffic to your site than you ever could through a convention. 

Edited by Kevin76

I believe (but could be wrong) that if the seller uses Shopify then the items is not your until paid as Shopify does not support a time limit for you to check out. It is literally first pays first wins.

i think a time limit of 5 min shop be enough for one to pay.