• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overspray or Mold?

6 posts in this topic

I just purchased up this book online that I think I want to return to seller. It has some fugly looking stuff on the top edge. It looks like either mold or distribution ink overspray. There is also a greenish stain on the back cover. What do you think the edge stuff is? The book is graded CGC 8.5 white pages.

IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

The top is likely distributor ink - edges of which are somewhat visible on the sale scans. The green stain - also visible on the sale scans.

(shrug)

IMO -- -looks like you got the book as described/scanned.... so why the return???

2 hours ago, W16227 said:

The top is likely distributor ink - edges of which are somewhat visible on the sale scans. The green stain - also visible on the sale scans.

(shrug)

IMO -- -looks like you got the book as described/scanned.... so why the return???

I was ok with the back cover stain though I thought it was ink or dirt. I'm not sure what it is anymore. The top edge is hard to see in the sales scans. It's lot uglier in person I guess and looks fuzzy almost like mold. Seller has accepted a return.

Edited by solm4st3r

2 minutes ago, solm4st3r said:

I was ok with the back cover stain though I thought it was ink or dirt. I'm not sure what it is anymore. The top edge is hard to see in the sales scans. It's lot uglier in person I guess and looks fuzzy almost like mold. Seller has accepted a return.

I was just curious ---- ( I saw the ebay sale) --- I was wondering if this was a case of you thinking something was not as described - or just unhappy with that top edge. Since the seller does accept returns - kind of a moot point with weather or not you had to pressure them with a not as described claim.... 

Interesting if that was mold---looks like the latest gen slab so not like it has been ageing for 10+ years. I have seen some real fugly distribution ink marks - but usually that is because of way too much ink. This looks like the sputtering end of the spray can ( if ink) .....

glad it worked out for you....

Cannot tell for sure from pictures what it is. I think it very likely the grading notes would say.  And that CGC took into account whatever it was when assigning the grade.