• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heroes Con — June 14-16, 2019
4 4

104 posts in this topic

This will be my 13th straight Heroes Con. Was up in the air on going this year but the thought of downtown Charlotte , Fuel Pizza and comics is to much to pass up.

is it me or does this years line up of artists etc seem weak?

This will be my first convention and I'm planning to go on Friday only. Can anyone tell me how early I should plan to get there to buy a ticket? I have no idea whether there will be long lines for tickets or if parking will be a hassle, etc. Do most people at conventions bring a backpack or like a grocery bag? I'm bringing about 20 books for CGC to grade and might buy a few more. Any other tips for a first time convention-goer? I'm mainly just going for the experience and to get some good food in Charlotte. Doubt I will spend very much. Thanks. 

Edited by SBRobin

1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

This will be my first convention and I'm planning to go on Friday only. Can anyone tell me how early I should plan to get there to buy a ticket? I have no idea whether there will be long lines for tickets or if parking will be a hassle, etc. Do most people at conventions bring a backpack or like a grocery bag? I'm bringing about 20 books for CGC to grade and might buy a few more. Any other tips for a first time convention-goer? I'm mainly just going for the experience and to get some good food in Charlotte. Doubt I will spend very much. Thanks. 

easy exit off the inner loop (college st?) right to open parking almost across the street from the convention center.  There are some close parking decks but you will pay more.  Get there at 11 AM and it's a hassle. Remember it's a work day and you are in downtown Charlotte (or uptown).

If you get there before the show opens you will wait in line no matter what, usually a big line to  get in.  They used to say advance 3 day ticket holders get in an hour early but there would be some dealers not ready yet so you were lucky if they let advance ticket holders in 15 minutes early.   At least it's air conditioned inside as you wait.

Ticket purchase - not as long as the wait to get in, no big deal.

I would get there early to get in as soon as you can just because it's the least crowded you will ever see the aisles.  Pick the dealers you want to check out (see the map location where they are).  Bring a book to read while you wait.

Backpacks - yes.  Grocery bags - haven't seen that.  Convention center food is blah - but good stuff around nearby.

Cell service can be bad or non-existant inside depending upon your carrier - unacceptable for a major convention center.  Maybe this is the year the convention center put in some better routers or repeater/extenders. 

Me- I'l be at the coast Friday and maybe Saturday and catch the show Sunday.

Funny thing today when my friend and I were in library, discussion on some topics about comics to submit to CGC, our trip to a comic con in two weeks ahead, checking comic artists on list. I mentioned about Heroes comic con for next year 2020 and he goes with eyeballs pop up, “Are you nuts?! I’ll go broke for sure after we go to Baltimore this year!” lol

Then we looked in the comic artists to see who goes to Heroes next month ... :facepalm: it figures ..., two artists whom we really want to get them signed our books, will be there!  At the wrong time as we are going to another comic con at the same time! Oh well. Maybe if lucky next year?

it’s hard to decide which comic con to go.xD

Anyone have a feel for why all the cancellations? A few here and there are expected, but seems to be a lot this year and about 4 less on each aisle up and down, someone said it went from 30 to 26 per aisle. I like the idea of raising the age for getting in free to some extent, but feel like it was done to try and bring in locals. Has attendance been dropping? I haven't noticed if it has! Leave me something to buy, I can't get there until Saturday!

On 5/14/2019 at 12:12 PM, Golden Memories said:

Golden memories will be attending for the 1st time

heard this was best  Show in the South ! 

Hope you Southern fellas Come visit  this New Yawk  Boy 

show.jpg.08f1b1f003ceb5e077ac846c6077a06a.jpg

show2.jpg.0fa2921d0431182717c2baa841ed6b97.jpg

Lordy! What booth!  I'm sure they will come. Heck, I see enough on that wall it would almost be worth a trip from the West Coast!

On 6/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, Mayor006 said:

Anyone have a feel for why all the cancellations? A few here and there are expected, but seems to be a lot this year and about 4 less on each aisle up and down, someone said it went from 30 to 26 per aisle. I like the idea of raising the age for getting in free to some extent, but feel like it was done to try and bring in locals. Has attendance been dropping? I haven't noticed if it has! Leave me something to buy, I can't get there until Saturday!

I think last year they hit 50k for the first time. Even with cancellations I think they will have a new record this year with every child getting in free.