• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heroes Con — June 14-16, 2019
4 4

104 posts in this topic

Not really surprising when you think about it.  It’s a huge comic con with very little filler and no celebrities.  The number of comic collectors has been shrinking in my opinion so it’s not hard to imagine Heroes numbers shrinking also.

I feel like I had a good show. Spent a little more than intended, but hoping it will work itself out.

I love the hunt for books, but I also like talking it up with my friends. It was great seeing everyone. 

Talked to a few dealers this afternoon, who said it was their worst Heroes. Light crowds and not making much money. I found one dealer who said I could fill a long box of $1 books for $50. Another who was selling his books at cost just to make some money. 

Supercon has to be cutting in on business, (a couple of dealers mentioned that as well) and I wonder if Shelton is feeling the heat. Especially with his little manifesto in the program this year. 

With that said I spent a ton of money and it's still my favorite con, but I see where things are heading.  

I'm interested in hearing how other dealers did. 

Edited by StingerMcK

3 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

Talked to a few dealers this afternoon, who said it was their worst Heroes. Light crowds and not making much money. I found one dealer who said I could fill a long box of $1 books for $50. Another who was selling his books at cost just to make some money. 

Supercon has to be cutting in on business, (a couple of dealers mentioned that as well) and I wonder if Shelton is feeling the heat. Especially with his little manifesto in the program this year. 

With that said I spent a ton of money and it's still my favorite con, but I see where things are heading.  

I'm interested in hearing how other dealers did. 

Maniesto ?  anyone have an idea of what this manifesto is ?

Personally, I had a great time today. Got some cool books signed by some great talent, saw some really cool cosplay (not overdone, for once), and most importantly had a great time chatting it up with fellow lovers of the medium. In terms of hunting for comics, this was far and away the least I ever spent at a con, but I’m not really disappointed at all. Didn’t find any spectacular deals, but I honestly didn’t expect to. 

Everyone I talked to (with a few understandable exceptions) was super nice and fun to be around. The lines for Sergio Aragones and Bill Sienkiewicz were out of this world (I ended up giving up on BIll’s line early in the afternoon and came back near the end of the show). I was far more successful in my comic deal hunting at S.C. Comicon in Greenville earlier this year, but this was more fun.

Edited by BishopT

I hated seeing desperate dealers late Sunday afternoon. One dealer of gold and silver who has been to heroes plenty of times, I watched him make a $100 sale and he said "that's more than I made all day"

In other booths $1 books became 25 cents, 75% off signs went up, and other slashes price signs as well. I know that is typical of a Sunday, but it seemed more this year. 

On the flip side, any key book or anything remotely attached to a possible movie was over priced.  

Another dealer lamented there were less families this year as well, with the smaller crowd. 

I love Heroes and I always want it to thrive, but our dealers need to make money too. 

53 minutes ago, StingerMcK said:

I hated seeing desperate dealers late Sunday afternoon. One dealer of gold and silver who has been to heroes plenty of times, I watched him make a $100 sale and he said "that's more than I made all day"

In other booths $1 books became 25 cents, 75% off signs went up, and other slashes price signs as well. I know that is typical of a Sunday, but it seemed more this year. 

On the flip side, any key book or anything remotely attached to a possible movie was over priced.  

Another dealer lamented there were less families this year as well, with the smaller crowd. 

I love Heroes and I always want it to thrive, but our dealers need to make money too. 

But do they really?  Cons like Heroes need dealers to make money to have them keep coming back but do the general comic buyer care if dealers make money?  I'd say most would love to grab books at half price and heck with the dealers bottom line.

Things seem to be very slow on E-Bay other then keys and movie hype books so I can understand why people are inflating prices since those are really the only books selling right now.  Dealers can blow out books for 75% off but if those books are not selling on e-bay then it really doesn't matter how much they lower the prices.

11 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

received-2495968400434207-2.jpg

I could be wrong but I bet his attitude will change over the next 5 years or his Con will be a thing of the past.  You either adapt or you die.  There are a bunch of nice 1 day comic only shows but they are cheap to set up at and cost a heck of a lot less to put on so I can't imagine Heroes can compete if they stick to comics only.

Edited by 1Cool

WizardWorld Philly was this past weekend, too. While obviously this show has fallen drastically since in the last few years, it may have pulled some people in the Baltimore/DC area who may have gone down the Charlotte. 

There are just so many big shows now -- it's hit or miss, I think. A dealer friend told me that at the end of Amazing Con, one of the dealers left about 75 long boxes of books there instead of taking them back with them. LEFT THEM. For anyone to take. Now Amazing Con was only about 1/4 comics anyway...

6 minutes ago, RCheli said:

WizardWorld Philly was this past weekend, too. While obviously this show has fallen drastically since in the last few years, it may have pulled some people in the Baltimore/DC area who may have gone down the Charlotte. 

There are just so many big shows now -- it's hit or miss, I think. A dealer friend told me that at the end of Amazing Con, one of the dealers left about 75 long boxes of books there instead of taking them back with them. LEFT THEM. For anyone to take. Now Amazing Con was only about 1/4 comics anyway...

I went to a million comic book sale that took place a couple weeks ago at a big comic shop in the Pittsburgh area (New Dimensions) and your post reminded me of that sale.  A million comics is about 4,000 long boxes of books and I think he said it probably was closer to 5,000 long boxes of books.  He had all books for $1 each and I left with a short box after searching for 4 or 5 hours.  You would think 5,000 long boxes would have some gems in them but after they have been picked over a couple times there was just an avalanche of junk in those boxes.  Hard to imagine anyone leaving 75 long boxes to the wolves but after seeing so much drek I can see why you would want to wash your hands of books at a certain point.

Best show I have ever been to. Of course, I don't get to many of the big cons like a lot of you do. It was much better than Baltimore and less crowded. I'm not saying attendance wise, I'm not sure. I mean the isles are bigger and very little bumping into people. The amount of great artists / creators was awesome too. This was definitely the best buying large scale show I have been to. Of course, I don't mind going through the bins and I don't think I bought one wall book.

I had a nice time in Charlotte. Not sure what people are talking about as far as high priced books...those are at every con. Good amount of dealers and a lot of books, if you were willing to look...and I don't just mean box diving... you could find a lot of stuff there.