• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heroes Con — June 14-16, 2019
4 4

104 posts in this topic

My first time at Heroes and it was the best Show I have been too. Great books and guests everywhere you looked. I found several books I didn't know I was looking for!

Just about every booth I visited somebody was countering the listed price. I would probably markup my key books also since I know everyone is going to throw a lower number at me.

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

We must have been at two different shows. I didn't talk to a single dealer who said it was their worst and many said it was their best. A few said they had hit their numbers for the weekend on Friday and one said he had his best single day ever on Thursday (to other dealers/sharks) and then his best Friday ever at Heroes as well.

Agreed! All the dealers I talked to were having a good to great show.

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

We must have been at two different shows. I didn't talk to a single dealer who said it was their worst and many said it was their best. A few said they had hit their numbers for the weekend on Friday and one said he had his best single day ever on Thursday (to other dealers/sharks) and then his best Friday ever at Heroes as well. I also didn't see a single 75% sale sign on Sunday and I walked the entire floor half a dozen times. $1 books often become quarter books on Sunday especially at A. Pennyworth's and Park Circle as they do that every year. $5 books become $3. $2 books become $1 and so on. That's a normal con thing, not a sign of a light sales weekend. Foot traffic was definitely down, but sales were not (for me anyway). Saturday was insane and Sunday was just $5 short of matching Friday for me. Overall a heck of a show from a guy who just has a lot of comics in his garage and an AWESOME way to spend Father's Day!

These are shots from Sunday.

64588422_2781802815179612_3682345152447250432_n.jpg

64727808_2781802838512943_4364535707381792768_n.jpg

64289419_2781802948512932_2220105209898598400_n.jpg

Nice to hear you did well!  What books can you tell us we’re flying off the shelves?

2 hours ago, Dormian said:

My first time at Heroes and it was the best Show I have been too. Great books and guests everywhere you looked. I found several books I didn't know I was looking for!

Just about every booth I visited somebody was countering the listed price. I would probably markup my key books also since I know everyone is going to throw a lower number at me.

Typically if someone buys your books outright the price was a steal to begin with - and even then they will probably try to get a bit off.

Good, I hope all dealers do well, cause we can't have a con without them!  But I talked to several around 3PM on Sunday (while several booths were packing up and calling it a day) that were down on the show.  Maybe I just talked to the wrong ones? (shrug)  The 75% off booth was on the right side of the floor, near artist alley.   I'd be interested to hear how Gator, Dale, etc did.  Pretty sure I bought something from Hey Kids Comics.

Here is my haul, fill a long box for $50, short box of Uncanny for my run (mostly $1 books), some GA Batman, GI Joe, Read Sonja, Vampirella and SA Flash my wife bought for her run:

64329877-2256523397777599-66373161829049

64256997-475829929843808-316058549017273

64286453-10161808276015133-9713531838026

Edited by StingerMcK

10 hours ago, 143ksk said:

I got lots of good stuff, many at very good prices.The original art auction was great--picked up two pieces I really wanted. 

fullsizeoutput_209.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_202.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_205.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_208.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_207.jpeg

I have a video of the Mouse Guard bidding. You dropped a pretty penny on that piece!

Sounds like the tale of two cities.  Some people did great while others did terrible.  I had that experience at Heroes and Baltimore where there is a ton of dealers so those with keys (especially hot copper / hot modern books) did fantastic whereas those with stale Bronze / SIlver Age run books sat around twitting their fingers.  I spoke with Bill (Bill's Books) and he said he did great and was looking forward to next year (he never has a shortage of key books since his prices are a bit on the high side for the local market).

Big thanks to Mr. Drum and crew for putting on a great show. And many thanks to all the boardies that swung by. Several of which made good-sized purchases that I am very grateful for. It was the best Heroes Con we ever had without selling a 5-figure book. The Usual suspects and movie spec books moved well. We sold 3 raw copies of GSX 1, ASM 300 9.8, FF 48, AV 8, etc. Golden age moved fairly well. Sold a few big Gold books around $1-2k range.

The trend continues and the market keeps rolling. New blood with good taste seems to join the pool monthly. Some times bad con sales are due to just not having the right stuff for that particular market or over pricing low-quality books. But I think a lot of times it’s just chance. 

I set up next in Baltimore, but will be running around in San Diego next month. Hope to see some of you again soon!

24 minutes ago, Nikelspot said:

Big thanks to Mr. Drum and crew for putting on a great show. And many thanks to all the boardies that swung by. Several of which made good-sized purchases that I am very grateful for. It was the best Heroes Con we ever had without selling a 5-figure book. The Usual suspects and movie spec books moved well. We sold 3 raw copies of GSX 1, ASM 300 9.8, FF 48, AV 8, etc. Golden age moved fairly well. Sold a few big Gold books around $1-2k range.

The trend continues and the market keeps rolling. New blood with good taste seems to join the pool monthly. Some times bad con sales are due to just not having the right stuff for that particular market or over pricing low-quality books. But I think a lot of times it’s just chance. 

I set up next in Baltimore, but will be running around in San Diego next month. Hope to see some of you again soon!

everytime I swung by your booth you were out.. Literally everytime lol.