• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

INVINCIBLE Animated Series - Amazon (??)
2 2

165 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Watched the first two with the wife on Friday. It was after midnight by that point, and time to hit the hay, so we'll save the third one for this Friday, which is basically our "TV night."  We'd watched Falcon and the Winter Soldier before that, and she wasn't in the mood for a movie or anything she'd have to "really pay attention to", so Invincible fit the bill. I'm not familiar with the comic (outside of buying and selling a few) but I was familiar with the basic concept. I thought that whiplash tonal shift in the first episode was handled terrifically, and got me very excited. The wife doesn't love ultra violence, but it gave me the giggles for sure. 

Voice cast is a pretty amazing roster, and the actual performances range from ok to pretty good. Some of that dialogue is going to sound ridiculous no matter who says it. I'm not sure if it's lifted directly from the comics or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. My biggest knock on the Walking Dead comics was that I enjoyed the overall plot and characters, but the actual dialogue was usually god awful. Invincible seems cut from a similar cloth. Maybe not as bad. But it's still pretty stiff and predictable.

The animation is interesting, in that some sequences look like super cheap 90's style OVA anime, while many of the action sequences border on beautiful. You can really tell where they spent their budget. The "talking" scenes tend to look very stiff, but the action is go go go, very fluid and engaging. So I guess it evens out. If I have to sit through a few Sunbow/DIC style moments of dialogue to get to the eyeball popping stuff, I can live with that.

Overall, I got a kick out of it, as did the missus. We'll keep watching it until we get tired of it, which is how this stuff usually goes.

It's a pretty faithful adaption of the source material (so far).  The three compendiums are a great way to read the comics.  Highly recommended.

5 minutes ago, piper said:

It's a pretty faithful adaption of the source material (so far).  The three compendiums are a great way to read the comics.  Highly recommended.

Yeah I’m going to check them out here soon after seeing the show. 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:41 AM, ashsaytr said:

Really enjoyed this... makes me want to get the comic out of my Q and finally read it!

Highly recommend reading it.  The animated series, so far, is similar but different enough.  The book is fantastic (I've read the series again in anticipation of this show).

On 4/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, Rip said:

This show is f-ing amazing. How have I not seen (or read) this before. My sons and I just burned through 5 episodes. Episode 5 on Friday was wild.

Yeah it's been super fun so far. I really enjoyed the comic, too. It's like the Marvel or DC universe where literally anything can happen except it's all canon. There's some really wild stuff.

I never read the comics and when I watched the first episode, it started out as a typical “teenage superhero coming of age” story but I was wowed by the turn it took and have watched every episode faithfully. 
‘Being an artist, my only gripe with the animation is the cell shading. The shadows on the pants of all the characters makes it look like they all crapped themselves 🤣

...and now you can’t unsee it either

FC142559-C204-416B-8C12-DF810A5BD7F4.jpeg

1 hour ago, bentbryan said:

I really like this show. Can’t wait to see how this week wraps up the first season.  

The buzz should pick up quite a bit when a bunch of the secrets get reveled this week.  I'd say Fridays episode will be the most shocking of the whole series so get buckled up. 

I read the first 30+ issues so i have an idea where this is going but i also had forgotten a lot of it. 

I'm tempted to go back and read the entire series which I've heard is fantastic. But part of me is enjoying the series too much right now to have it spoiled.

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

I read the first 30+ issues so i have an idea where this is going but i also had forgotten a lot of it. 

I'm tempted to go back and read the entire series which I've heard is fantastic. But part of me is enjoying the series too much right now to have it spoiled.

I'm scared to re-read the series at this point just because I'm scared of damaging the books.  When the series was $500 I didn't mind reading it but now that it's $3,000 - $4,000 it's tougher to crack them out and give them a read.  I think I'll stay surprised (like yourself) and watch the series as it progresses on the show.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm scared to re-read the series at this point just because I'm scared of damaging the books.  When the series was $500 I didn't mind reading it but now that it's $3,000 - $4,000 it's tougher to crack them out and give them a read.  I think I'll stay surprised (like yourself) and watch the series as it progresses on the show.

calm down Money bags

Just get the compendiums 

8 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

calm down Money bags

Just get the compendiums 

If I had yours and Greggy cash then it wouldn't an issue but these are hard times we are living through

I am loving the series too.  Must faster pace than the books, from what I can recall.  Lots of tweaks.

My wife keeps asking me "why did Omni-man do that?"... which I have to keep saying "wait and see" :)

I knew there would be some level of gore with the fights, but didn't think it would be so spot on with the books.

I re-read (compendiums) the whole series in advance of this series coming out.  Glad I did as it is fun identifying the differences between the TV series and the source.

There are just enough changes (updates?) between the books and the animated series that even though I recently re-read the entire series, I don't know exactly how they're going to do things on the show.

Unlike a perfectly adapted series, this one has a few little twists that are keeping it interesting even when I know "everything" that is going to happen. :grin: