• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

INVINCIBLE Animated Series - Amazon (??)
2 2

170 posts in this topic

I watched the first two episodes. Other than a couple of minor changes to supporting characters, the story beats are identical to the Comic.

I’m enjoying it so far.

I tried to watch an episode with my wife but she got bored quickly and we turned it off.  She isn’t a fan of comics in general but she was not into it at all.  I loved the comic book series so I’ll watch it while scanning books this weekend.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:35 AM, FormerReader said:

I tried watching episode 1 last night. I really couldn’t get into it. Having said that I don’t like cartoons, so it probably isn’t surprising I didn’t like it. I’m happy for all the people that did like it and hope it does well.

If you like comics, then read Invincible.

If you like Invincible comics, then try the cartoon again.

:grin:

Watched the first two episodes this morning. I did a reread of the entire series last year, so it’s pretty fresh on my mind, and I have to say I think they’ve done an incredible job catching the spirit of the comics, and other than perhaps changing the pacing of the reveal based on the number of episodes they’re planning... everything else just feels like a close to a living, breathing comic as I’ve ever seen.

Really excited to get people to watch this, because I do think it’ll also lead them into picking up the book.  As opposed to a few friends of mine who I got into watching The Boys and I told them they’d also love the book and (while they did) they’d call me after the first few issues and say “this is not what I was expecting!”  LOL

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Sounds like good advice. I’ve wanted to read the series for some time. Maybe this time I’ll get around to it.

21 minutes ago, FormerReader said:

Sounds like good advice. I’ve wanted to read the series for some time. Maybe this time I’ll get around to it.

Highly recommended!

39 minutes ago, FormerReader said:
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's probably the only non-Valiant title that I've read every published issue. (thumbsu

Watched the first two episodes and liking what've seen so far.  I have read the original series (twice) and, maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, but I don't remember Omni-man being as much of a in the beginning?  Or maybe it's part of the accelerated version for the series.  Either way, I agree in that it captures the feel of the source material.

Wife is already trying to figure out why certain things happened and I am doing my best to not spoil it for her.  :) Which is hard to do.

Watched the first two with the wife on Friday. It was after midnight by that point, and time to hit the hay, so we'll save the third one for this Friday, which is basically our "TV night."  We'd watched Falcon and the Winter Soldier before that, and she wasn't in the mood for a movie or anything she'd have to "really pay attention to", so Invincible fit the bill. I'm not familiar with the comic (outside of buying and selling a few) but I was familiar with the basic concept. I thought that whiplash tonal shift in the first episode was handled terrifically, and got me very excited. The wife doesn't love ultra violence, but it gave me the giggles for sure. 

Voice cast is a pretty amazing roster, and the actual performances range from ok to pretty good. Some of that dialogue is going to sound ridiculous no matter who says it. I'm not sure if it's lifted directly from the comics or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. My biggest knock on the Walking Dead comics was that I enjoyed the overall plot and characters, but the actual dialogue was usually god awful. Invincible seems cut from a similar cloth. Maybe not as bad. But it's still pretty stiff and predictable.

The animation is interesting, in that some sequences look like super cheap 90's style OVA anime, while many of the action sequences border on beautiful. You can really tell where they spent their budget. The "talking" scenes tend to look very stiff, but the action is go go go, very fluid and engaging. So I guess it evens out. If I have to sit through a few Sunbow/DIC style moments of dialogue to get to the eyeball popping stuff, I can live with that.

Overall, I got a kick out of it, as did the missus. We'll keep watching it until we get tired of it, which is how this stuff usually goes.

Watched it Saturday morning with a ladyfriend who is also kinda into reading comics, though had never heard of Invincible.  Both of us loved it!  I'm anxious to see how it all goes down as I haven't read the series (yet).