• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 6
5 5

253 posts in this topic

As Cliff said The Joe's wear was limited to the area around the spine. The edges and both front and back cover looked very nice.

After playing this thing for years I've learned GA gets a bump, I forgot that lesson with the Millie. Would I personally grade it a 6.0 no way. But I don't have it in hand and that makes a big difference. 2c  And to win this thing you have to take chances. I thought the Ghost Rider was a 7.0 all day but I wanted a bullseye and thought hey he's trying to trick us and I went 6.5. It's all a guessing game with what CGC is going to put on these books @thirdgreenham

Edited by Azkaban

12 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Let’s hear from those who thought it was a 6.0 :popcorn: 

I was hesitant about the 6.0 but couldn't give a 5.5.  The primary detractor is obviously the readers crease but its not massive.  Its about half of the books length.  The problem is its concentrated in the middle.  The rest of the front cover is actually pretty nice and the amount of edge wear is minimal.  The back cover, unlike most comics, is edge to edge color so can be deceiving.  When you look at a full white back cover with the same issues it appears less damaged.  The only thing that stopped me from immediately putting a 6.0 was the 1/4 tear on the back outer edge.  But after a long debate with myself I went with the 6.0.  That was my reasoning at least.  

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I was hesitant about the 6.0 but couldn't give a 5.5.  The primary detractor is obviously the readers crease but its not massive.  Its about half of the books length.  The problem is its concentrated in the middle.  The rest of the front cover is actually pretty nice and the amount of edge wear is minimal.  The back cover, unlike most comics, is edge to edge color so can be deceiving.  When you look at a full white back cover with the same issues it appears less damaged.  The only thing that stopped me from immediately putting a 6.0 was the 1/4 tear on the back outer edge.  But after a long debate with myself I went with the 6.0.  That was my reasoning at least.  

But I'm also in close to last place so...

I am beginning to think one of those graders down at CGC works as a teacher at my daughter's school, as they appear to grade with about the same accuracy.

Here is a test she brought home the other day.

Please note the teacher's marks are in ink.  I am not sure how she thinks that a 4 by 6 flower bed takes up more wood to build then a 12 by 2.....

1425509421_Problem14.thumb.jpg.c58df2d8ffabafebe17ee747d2dbd677.jpg

Then my daughter was marked wrong for saying 80 + 8 = 88.  The "grader" marked it out and wrote 78. 

Must be the same math the CGC folks are using on that GI Joe.

889849394_Problem16.thumb.jpg.cbd7993c9895b602f0a36779137e51df.jpg

7 minutes ago, Hudson said:

When 91% of comic collectors grade a book lower than CGC does, that should tell you something.

Just my 2 cents.

And everyone seems to think they're too strict!

27 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

I knew nothing about detached centerfolds and relied on the wisdom of an old forum post saying CGC regards them as production flaws due to GA primitive staple binding methods and doesn't downgrade such.  Waffled on 5.5 - 5.0 but graded the cover only and gave it a dumb luck bump for the bright colors, nice corners and clean back cover.  Very nice book otherwise. (thumbsu 

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

I thought it was a 5.0 and had the other as a 1.0, but everyone has been talking about the golden age bump. I Googled the dates of the books (and the dates of the different ages), and bumped each up 1. Thanks to everyone here for my highest score yet!

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

When 91% of comic collectors grade a book most by 2 to 2 1/2 full grade points lower than CGC does, that should tell you something.

Just my 2 cents.

ftfy

I'm officially throwing in the towel.  Nonsense grades submitted for round 7.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

No decrease because of the reader's roll?

Wish I'd missed the detached centerfold like you studs that nailed the 6.0

Would've had me closer anyway.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

GI Joe #10 centerfold detached CGC 6.0

Image result for scanners mind blown gif

In the grading guide a book with a detached centerfold can't grade higher than 2.5 unless there are attributes that out weigh that defect. I did not see any such attributes. The front cover did not look much better than a 3.0 to me. Maybe the CGC should put out their own grading guide? Maybe they have one already?