• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 6
5 5

253 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thirdgreenham said:

Grading reflects the grade, not the value. 

The value is what individuals give the book, based on what’s important to them. 

The value may be based on grade, it may be based on a book not having tape or rusty staples, or it may have value because it was the first comic someone ever bought. 

My point being that value is not always determined by the grade given. 

In your example, a well presenting 3.0 will nearly always sell for more than a much lesser looking 3.0. 2c AF 15, especially. 

isnt a spotless loose cover book in a better grade or should be than a ragged separated cover book?

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

well considering he stated  that he wasn't aware of the detached centerfold before submitting it, I would doubt he is about to crack out the book just to see if it is detached a specific way.

I must assume with a 6.0 grade that the centerfold was firmly, very firmly attached at one staple lol! Maybe the pages were white as the driven snow ? and the angles sung to thee as one flipped through the pages. ? 

7 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Detached centerfold usually means at both staples, unless otherwise noted.

Can a 7.0 or 8.0 book have a detached centerfold? I would like to know, learn and improve my grading. Its my whole reason for entering.

10 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I must assume with a 6.0 grade that the centerfold was firmly, very firmly attached at one staple lol! Maybe the pages were white as the driven snow ? and the angles sung to thee as one flipped through the pages. ? 

I prefer to assume that either a blind person graded this book OR that the company that actually graded it, mistakenly put a CGC label on it, instead of their own. 

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

I prefer to assume that either a blind person graded this book OR that the company that actually graded it, mistakenly put a CGC label on it, instead of their own. 

I'm amazed some good graders got this right!!!  How did they do it???

6 hours ago, flashlites said:

Can a 7.0 or 8.0 book have a detached centerfold? I would like to know, learn and improve my grading. Its my whole reason for entering.

I am certain the book is detached at both staples.  The highest graded book I have seen with a detached centerfold is a 7.0

9 hours ago, flashlites said:

If you want to improve your grading, pay attention to what grade the majority decides on.  There are plenty of guesses, but there's enough expertise here to make an educated opinion.  CGC may have called that last one a 6.0, but if you tried to sell that copy raw as a 6.0, you'd likely have a return on your hands.  Worse, if Greenham tries to sell that slab, he might get less than 6.0 pricing due to the worry the grade will go down if it's reholdered.

Edited by FineCollector

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

If you want to improve your grading, pay attention to what grade the majority decides on.  There are plenty of guesses, but there's enough expertise here to make an educated opinion.  CGC may have called that last one a 6.0, but if you tried to sell that copy raw as a 6.0, you'd likely have a return on your hands.  Worse, if Greenham tries to sell that slab, he might get less than 6.0 pricing due to the worry the grade will go down if it's reholdered.

:cry: 

Well, that could've been worse for me...I went 5.0 on the GI Joe not having any idea how much of a hit the detached CF would do...and was really torn between 1.5 and 1.8 on the Pep, but ended with 1.8 thinking it might nudge higher as a GA. Still, at least nothing negative that round so :takeit:

12 hours ago, flashlites said:

6 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I am certain the book is detached at both staples.  The highest graded book I have seen with a detached centerfold is a 7.0

Its a good lesson for me because the grading guide reads like this defect is not allowed above 2.5. It's seems as through its more like a deduction rather than a hard line. This makes more sense given the CGC grade.