• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS Stan Lee CGC's are you holding on to them or selling them?
2 2

72 posts in this topic

I have picked up a number of Stan Lee signed CGC's over the years. For a while I liked the idea of having his signature on a Spidey or FF4 but then I just started picking up ones that had nothing really to do with him. It's horrible I know but I was really getting them to most likely sell for a large profit upon his passing. That made me feel like and along with all this elder abuse allegations and the way he is being pushed around by his handlers I have slowly just started selling them off little to no profit. I've always been more of an artist guy than a Stan fan anyways, might keep one. My question is for those that have signed slabed CGC's of his signature, are you planning on capitalizing after he passes and selling them?

Edited by Blastaar

Yes, Stan signs a lot of items but you have to factor in he is the largest icon in our hobby and now the movie business.  Collectors always seem to overestimate the supply of a signature until the person is not signing any more.  I believe Stan Lee items will have a significant premium on any key that he wrote.  God bless the man with all his recent people problems but even at a robust 96 he will not sign forever.  If it were up to me and an unlimited budget, I would have Stan sign most of my comics. 

yes same here, i am a personal fan of stan signed books, i just think its cool that stan lee, an icon, and a person who has alot to do with the creation of so many marvel characters had actually physically touched my book and signed it, i just think that is really cool, i have 4 stan lee signatures at the moment, 1 i got on a spidey lithograph to have framed another i had on my ASM 3 2.0 graded book (My holy grail in my collection) and then at another convention i had a personal item signed (its worthless to others but to me its priceless) and then the 4th was signed in the 90s on an ASM annual 21, the spidey weds mary jane cover. he signed it to bob and, no i was not the one to get it and my name is not bob but i got a for a good deal so i am happy. so no even if the market is flooded with stan signd books, as long as their are people like me that are just fans and love stan for all he has done, i dont care if stan signatures become $50 things if so i will just buy more. i dont sell comics i am not an investor a speculator non of that, i am a fan, a collector. i do this as a hobby not as a job or as a source of income. so i would not care if my book is worth 10 grand i would still love it if it was worth a dollar, thats the problem with this industry now adays, there are so many people doing this hobby for a quick buck that real collectors have now been forced to pay much much more than before on things that we dont care about the value for, i dont believe a stan signature will ever go down below the $50 mark, and it does not even today when he is still here. stan lee signatures are now common but what happens when in 50 years in 100 years people remember stan and love his lagacy they wont be able to meet him but they can own a piece of him someting he left behind somehing he touched and signed that is why his signature is special and the same thing has happened to kieby since his passing. i am a younger collector i never got to meet kirby but i have thigns sigend by him and to me thats enough. i have soemthing i know he touched and persnally signed. i have had the plesure of meeting stan and to be honest the experince was well worth the money. nuff' said

I’ll be holding on to mine unless a need to sell arises. Most I have are related to his stories or at least characters he’s created. He had to be involved somehow, not just any marvel book, but there again that could work too if it’s of personal value. To each there own.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

On 7/1/2018 at 1:27 AM, reptilekingdie said:

There going to the grave with me, all 40 of my CGC books, try to dig them up.......

Good thing there are still 999,999,960 of them left for us.

On 6/21/2018 at 6:19 PM, Blastaar said:

I have slowly just started selling them off little to no profit.

Keep repeating that.   That will be the common theme because the guy has been pumping out assembly line signatures for decades. There is no shortage, listen to the comments here, many people have multiple signatures, not just one.   Stan signed anything and just about everything pushed in front of him.  Hell, he signed my nephews frickin arm (who immediately got it tattooed) a few years back.  He's holding onto his arm. 

Most of his signatures are terrible and present awful on covers.  His signatures that fit well on a cover and are clear will most always carry a premium especially after he passes.  I bang my head on the wall every time I see a sloppy Stan Lee signature on a book (especially one thats valuable) and books in which he had little to nothing to do with.  :frustrated:

On 7/20/2018 at 6:54 AM, Eric C. said:

Most of his signatures are terrible and present awful on covers.  His signatures that fit well on a cover and are clear will most always carry a premium especially after he passes.  I bang my head on the wall every time I see a sloppy Stan Lee signature on a book (especially one thats valuable) and books in which he had little to nothing to do with.  :frustrated:

I think you're projecting your own feelings and taking the echo chamber of the CGC forums as what the overall collecting community thinks.   Personally, I agree that I'd rather have a nice clear sig.  But collectors on ebay and other sources... the non HARD HARD core collectors are going to buy them still.   Sure an auction could get heated if an especially good signature shows up... but that's going to be the exception not the rule.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:59 PM, JP_rez said:

Just got this one this week and feel pretty much like reptilekingdie, even though its my first CGC SS Stan Lee.

20180719_194540.jpg

If you are happy, that is great.  It's a 'win' for you.   My personal opinion-  that is a 'fugly' Stan Lee signature, looks like he was falling off the table while he signed it.  But you are not in the minority these last few years.  Quite frankly his sig has gotten worse and worse.  Just my humble opinion.

12 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

If you are happy, that is great.  It's a 'win' for you.   My personal opinion-  that is a 'fugly' Stan Lee signature, looks like he was falling off the table while he signed it.  But you are not in the minority these last few years.  Quite frankly his sig has gotten worse and worse.  Just my humble opinion.

"Thanks" for your opinion

There are tens of thousands of Stan Lee SS slabs out there...maybe well over 100,000 at this point.

But there are millions of people who know who Stan is, and wouldn't mind owning something he signed after he dies.

While the sig train has continued apace, there are tens of millions of copies of books that Stan directly worked on in existence, and BILLIONS more that he had an indirect influence on. Stan hasn't signed a drop in the bucket of what is out there, and he wouldn't touch that number even if he signed every weekend for the next 5 years.

Yes, there are a lot of sellers who "throw money down the drain" by selling books for "less then cost." But there are also lots of people who get discounted sigs, and a lot of those sell them.

When Stan dies, the sigs series books will almost certainly dry up, other than the wild overpricers like "mr-myxyztlplk" and the like.

24 minutes ago, JP_rez said:

"Thanks" for your opinion

Listen, I have a Stan sig myself, and it's kind of a blob.  I waited in line for 5 hours, standing in place for the most part, it was hell, and by the time he scribbled his name on my little 12" x 12" print, it was like 'eh..whatever'.  You have a nice book, great cover, Alex Ross is the man!   Enjoy it. 

People say, “There are so many out there, and Stan signs everything!” Fair enough, but does anyone here posting or replying on this thread, have a Highest Graded Signature Series Signed Stan Lee Comic, in which Stan Lee was the writer, and if so how many issues like that do you own? If you own a Highest Gradef Signature Series Stan Lee Comic, is it a Key or a Mega Key? I have another question. If you own a High Grade Mega Key, that is Signed by Stan Lee, have you checked the Census to see how many are graded Higher, than yours and the rarity of your book signed? Granted Stan Lee Signatures are everywhere and that part I get, but is what you have signed, “Rare” with the Signature as well, if so that even doubles the rarity of your book. Final Question for people that make the argument, “There are so many out there, hey won’t be worth anything,” make. For people/ collectors who do in fact have Highest Graded Signed Stan Lee books or Signature Series books with less than 5 Signed and Graded Higher, do you really think my Signed books won’t have any significant added value, even though there are only a few or none graded higher than mine, with Stan on the cover? I’m just curious! Thanks.

Edited by Brett Barrett