• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS Stan Lee CGC's are you holding on to them or selling them?
2 2

72 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Brett Barrett said:

People say, “There are so many out there, and Stan signs everything!” Fair enough, but does anyone here posting or replying on this thread, have a Highest Graded Signature Series Signed Stan Lee Comic in which Stan Lee was the writer, and if so how many do you issues like that do you own? If you own a Highest Gradef Signature Series Stan Lee Comic, is it a Key or a Mega Key? I have another question. If you own a High Grade Mega Key, that is Signed by Stan Lee, have you checked the Census to see how many are graded Higher, than yours and the rarity of your book signed? Granted Stan Lee Signatures are everywhere and that part I get, but is what you have signed, “Rare” with the Signature as well, if so that even doubles the rarity of your book. Final Question for people that make the argument that there are so many out there they won’t be worth anything make. For people/ collectors who do in fact have Highest Grade Signed Stan Lee books or Signature Series books with less than 5 Signed Graded Higher, do you really think my Signed books won’t have any significant added value, even though there are only a few or none graded higher than mine with Stan on the cover? I’m just curious! Thanks.

GOing out on a limb... I'm guessing you have a top of the census Stan Lee signed book?

1 hour ago, michael clancy said:

You people are morbid for buying Stan Lee Signature Series books .P.S. I buy them on ebay .Signed Mr Hypocrite .

He does have a point a lot of people judge others or talk mad :censored: about stan lee sigs but majority of people on here are either gate keeping other out with there hardcore criticism and point of views, then you got people like us who enjoy the hobby and collecting what we want and hate being judged on some petty :censored:.

then your comment just cements the bane of what he is talking about who cares how he got it just be happy he is supporting the same hobby you have because we are keeping this dying hobby alive through sheer force of a shared interest while sadly the most of you only care about making profit over enjoying the shared interest.

I have a number of them.... I think I have around ten of them... maybe more. Some are permanently with me.  Others will pay or offset the cost for the ones I am keeping. 

Edited by Buzzetta

13 hours ago, Gotham227 said:

That’s a keeper. Did you get to pick where you wanted him to sign this and the color of sharpie he used? 

Na, got this one from unknowncomics already graded. They had just 2 i jumped on it quick

I have a number of Stan Lee sigs that are CGC'd on books that he didn't write, but those books are synonymous with his name.  For example, I have a number of Copper & Modern Amazing Spider-Mans that he signed for me, because when you think Spider-Man, you think Stan Lee.  I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.  And it's true for me.  Growing up in the 80s/90s, when I heard Stan Lee, I immediately thought Marvel and vice versa.  So, maybe this is a generational thing?

As for some of the other Stan Lee signed books, I am guilty of getting a "non-Stan" book signed (using non-Stan in quotes since I still think Marvel and Stan are one in the same, please don't hate me).  For example, I do have an Edge of Spider-Verse #2 signed by Stan.  I did it because he helped create/write Gwen Stacy even though he had no hand in creating this particular version of that character, Spider-Gwen. 

I know it may not make sense to others, but it does to me, and that's the whole point of collecting.  You collect/get what you like.  

Now as far as holding or selling, at this point, I'm a hold.  I plan on holding for awhile as I'm not in a hurry to sell those books at this time, but if I need the cash, I may.  Again, you should do what you want based on need.  Other have pointed this out in this thread as well.   

Ya Stan was special! I need to check the census on the books that I own that are signed by him... I want to say most all the books that I have signed by Stan, only 10% of copies are signed.

They might not all have "Stan's" Sig, but I want to say 10% were signature series...

Anyway, would be interesting for us to inquire now, before there are more books added to the ratio that we KNOW are not signed by Stan 

@valiantman your good with numbers, may be too soon to mention all this, but I WAS curious...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

34 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya Stan was special! I need to check the census on the books that I own that are signed by him... I want to say most all the books that I have signed by Stan, only 10% of copies are signed.

They might not all have "Stan's" Sig, but I want to say 10% were signature series...

Anyway, would be interesting for us to inquire now, before there are more books added to the ratio that we KNOW are not signed by Stan 

@valiantman your good with numbers, may be too soon to mention all this, but I WAS curious...

I have thought about it, but unless we know for sure that he didn't do any signings in the past 3 or 4 months, we probably need to let the CGC census "settle" into the post-Stan SS baselines.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I have thought about it, but unless we know for sure that he didn't do any signings in the past 3 or 4 months, we probably need to let the CGC census "settle" into the post-Stan SS baselines.

Ok cool! I didn't know if it was too soon, I just knew that the opportunity to take screen shots was coming  :shy:

didn't want to step on toes, but didn't want the opportunity to slip into too late (thumbsu

I've sent some of my books for Stan Lee to sign in the past for the CGC signature series. I eventually sold them as I preferred the look of a clean, unsigned cover. Now that Lee has passed, I feel like I would like to own another book signed by him but I am going to wait a while for the market to hopefully readjust itself. 

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

Based on what's been shown on the Boards, Stan had a signing in 2nd -3rd week of October. I'm already preparing for the ghoulish "last signing" advertising and premium . . .

Preach on!  You know its coming 

4 hours ago, ivdyer said:

Preach on!  You know its coming 

You can love or hate his signature on a book.  I grew up with the guy through comics as my storyteller and I enjoyed getting in line to meet my idol.  It was worth every second.  I got a chance to say hi and a few words and he held my comics in his hands.  All of my Stan signed comics are my prized possessions.  I don't think I will part with them but if life circumstances force me to than I will.  The memory of waiting to meet him will remain no matter what.  Stan fans will understand what I'm writing in their own unique way.  That makes it money well spent.  

38 minutes ago, Bronx said:

You can love or hate his signature on a book.  I grew up with the guy through comics as my storyteller and I enjoyed getting in line to meet my idol.  It was worth every second.  I got a chance to say hi and a few words and he held my comics in his hands.  All of my Stan signed comics are my prized possessions.  I don't think I will part with them but if life circumstances force me to than I will.  The memory of waiting to meet him will remain no matter what.  Stan fans will understand what I'm writing in their own unique way.  That makes it money well spent.  

I was replying to a specific comment made by seanfingh.  I too have fond memories of my first meeting and my last.  

On 11/17/2018 at 2:15 PM, AJCohen said:

It was priced at $900 which seemed fair when I noticed last GPA sale this month for a 7.0 went for $565 and everyone Seems to have 6.0 up to 7.5 books listed between $1200-$1600 on EBay.

4D1127CF-FB13-4D51-832A-A05A1B80DDF3.jpeg

Glad you are happy with your book.

Just remember eBay asking prices arent the same as market value.

Spidey books seem to be the #1 title people are wanting for their Stan Lee SS wants. Realized prices seem to be around $200-$400 over non-Stan signed CGC copies, depending on the issue. #100 is a good one!

it's best to compare Stan SS books vs other similar Stan SS books, as they seem to move in the market as their own entity now.

Glad you got one you treasure!

Edited by miraclemet

I picked up a couple Stan SS's, but I sold them off and decided to go for vintage signatures before the era of SS and signing on the front covers. I sold off my collection a few years back, but I did hang onto my vintage Stan Sigs: one on Amazing Spider-man Annual #5 (with a John Romita sig), Ms. Marvel #1 and from Wolverine #1. I think selling Stan signatures after he's died is part of the hobby - and I think the Man himself would probably understand.

ASM_ANNUAL5_INSIDE.jpg

MSMARVEL01_STANLEE_SIG.jpg

WOLVERINE01_INSIDE.jpg