• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 7 & Ms. Marvel

10 posts in this topic

Thank you everyone! This has been really helpful! One last question for anyone who sees this....if they smell like a basement how much does that impact grading?  Should I get them dry cleaned? Is it worth the dry cleaning and the grading costs considering the condition they are in now?

22 minutes ago, JennyG13 said:

Thank you everyone! This has been really helpful! One last question for anyone who sees this....if they smell like a basement how much does that impact grading?  Should I get them dry cleaned? Is it worth the dry cleaning and the grading costs considering the condition they are in now?

Smell can hurt the grade. Overstreet mentions odor in their grading guidelines. It can turn buyers off. On a nice, dry, sunny day, try leaving them outdoors, sheltered from birds flying overhead. Some people recommend unscented fabric sheets to help remove smells. Some people enclose the books in comic bags and put that in or on top of kitty litter. 

I would not dry clean or certify those comics, especially the Ms. Marvel. You might be able to sell them here, especially if you have a forum member who can vouch for you.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Smell can hurt the grade. Overstreet mentions odor in their grading guidelines. It can turn buyers off. On a nice, dry, sunny day, try leaving them outdoors, sheltered from birds flying overhead. Some people recommend unscented fabric sheets to help remove smells. Some people enclose the books in comic bags and put that in or on top of kitty litter. 

I would not dry clean or certify those comics, especially the Ms. Marvel. You might be able to sell them here, especially if you have a forum member who can vouch for you.

I had a similar problem with smoke on a set of books. Open the books and air them out. You can use some Bounce sheets as well leaving them in the pages for a day or two.
It will take several weeks, but the smell will go away or lessen to the point that you have to really pay attention to smell it.