• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Marvel Magazine Thread
7 7

111 posts in this topic

Tales of the Zombie was my favorite of the Marvel magazine group and one of my favorite characters still today. Although issue #1 was probably on the newsstands when I started collecting I didn’t buy a copy until the second issue a few months from now. I quickly sent in the 75 cents or dollar for a back issue of #1. The fact that Bill Everett did the original story exactly 20 years earlier to the month only made the series better to me over time. It’s why I went after a copy of Menace #5 just a few years ago because I felt I needed one back in my collection to join the b&w magazine series. Try to remember that in 1973 there was no Walking Dead series and any of the related/similar themed zombie apocalypse  movies crowding the market. The original trend setter of the zombie apocalypse theme Night of the Living Dead was released just 5 years earlier with no sequels as of yet and it was still beginning to achieve its cult status. Tales of the Zombie was a nod to all the earlier zombie stories.

716913B8-62D2-45EA-9619-A915A6C53697.jpeg.b4010eea82003426b2eb4077456d0da3.jpeg

I still feel that the Marvel “horror” series are a unused but valuable asset to the Marvel Cinematic Universe If ever called upon. The Blade films even preceded slightly the current Marvel run in film but sadly little has been spoken of mining this sector of the Marvel universe since. Perhaps their time will still come. With the success and popularity of zombies today I would think a series taking a different take from the current zombie apocalypse theme could be a breath of fresh air into a tiring genre. Simon Garth was always a more personal journey of horror. I remain with fingers crossed that Marvel horror makes it to the big or little screens soon.

Now going back to Doc V’s site since no one knows or does Atlas comics better than him:

“Zombie!” was the apex of both creators’ pre-code horror work, a genre soon to be short-circuited by the advent of the comics code. Yet, the "Zombie" would live again.  Flash forward exactly 20 years. Marvel editor Roy Thomas was in the midst of a full-fledged horror revival both in the four color comics (Werewolf by NightTomb of DraculaGhost Rider) and the black and white magazines (Dracula LivesVampire Tales).  Together with writer Steve Gerber, the Zombie was revived and given a name (Simon Garth) and his own black and white magazine, Tales of the Zombie, lasting 11 issues from 1973 to 1975. 

The first issue featured a beautiful painted cover by famed fantasy cover artist Boris Vallejo and story art by John Buscema and Tom Palmer, fleshing out the back-story of all three main characters from the original Lee/Everett Atlas gem.  

Tales+of+the+Zombie+%231+(1973).jpg

Following part one of this new debut story, the original Everett 7-pager is reprinted, time-lined to follow the events in the opening tale (and will be reprinted a third time in the final issue, an annual, #11). Strangely, the Everett gem, while reprinted in black and white, has a page 2 in two-tone black and green. I checked this against a second copy I have of this issue and it's the same in both. Inexplicably, a handful of other pages in the book similarly have this weird green-tone coloring effect. 

Tales+of+the+Zombie+%231+(1973)+Zombie+p.1.jpg

Tales+of+the+Zombie+%231+(1973)+Zombie+p.2.jpg

Further, Marvel in the 1970's touched up the artwork (changing hair and eyes) and even changed exposition and dialogue from the original story to update continuity towards the now ongoing series with a backstory. Even the image of Simon Garth's daughter was re-drawn, turning her from a brunette in the original Everett story to a blonde in the new series (including re-drawing the panel to reflect this in the reprint). Garth's hair is also changed from slick 1950's short, to a mangy-long 1970's style.

Scan-140309-0010+crop.jpg

Scan-140309-0012+crop.jpg

Then the second part of the debut story concludes at the end of the book with artwork by John Buscema again, this time assisted by Syd Shores. Horror stories, both new and Atlas reprints, filled out the rest of the magazine and this format would persist throughout the run. Simon Garth, “The Zombie!”, has since secured a fixture of sorts in the Marvel universe.

The second story this issue is another tale illustrated by Joe Maneely, his second.   Up above the story title Stan once again writes a little intro but not before letting his readers know that “Zombie!” is predicted to become… “a masterpiece of comic art and --script!”.  “Crack-Down!” is a neat little ironic yarn about a senate investigation of crime, an underworld mob boss, a nickel-and-dime crook, and a shock ending,  Maneely’s gritty inking lends itself to coarse depictions of unsavory characters quite nicely.  The text illustration accompanying the text story is a panel from an unidentified Ayers story.

Scan-140309-0002.jpg

Edited by N e r V

To anyone reading this thread (?) Comic Con is next week so I’ll probably be taking a break from any new additions for a little bit but should have something on Monsters Unleased #2, Haunt of Horror #2 and yet another new magazine in the then ever expanding monster magazine line...Vampire Tales! 

Thanks guys. As I said I’ll resume it sometime after Comic Con this week. With that coming up Wednesday and having to put down my favorite dog this morning I need some time away....

On 7/15/2018 at 11:23 AM, Brando- said:

I just caught up on this amazing thread. Thank you@N e r Vfor putting this together. You have contributed great writing and quality pictures, I'll be coming back to this thread again.

Yes mrNerv this is a great thread thank you ☝️?? thank you I enjoy reading

On 7/16/2018 at 10:51 PM, N e r V said:

Thanks guys. As I said I’ll resume it sometime after Comic Con this week. With that coming up Wednesday and having to put down my favorite dog this morning I need some time away....

Sorry to hear that man.:frown:

On 7/16/2018 at 4:51 PM, N e r V said:

Sorry to read that.  I hope that the memories you made together warms your heart when you feel down. 

1080A66F-35A4-48E0-8CBB-9A54600BF678.jpeg.ead5ce1303ec688efb36c89cc9cb0aa5.jpegOK, so after some recovery time I’m going to restart this thread beginning in May 1973 with the first of three releases that month in the Marvel magazine line. 

The first was another new title with Vampire Tales #1. Dracula was already in use with his own title so the then Spider-Man Villain Morbius got the nod as a lead. He would later turn up again back in the color comics after Man-Thing departed the Fear title. He also was around to drop back into Spider-Man’s life soon enough.

According to his intro in this issue:

...few issues of a certain superhero comic-book called THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN have ever been more warmly received or more greedily collected and hoarded than those which introduced a tortured soul named Morbius... Each time this 20th-century vampire has appeared in print, so great has been the outcry to give him his own magazine that finally nothing was to be done but to grant him a place of honor in this premiere issue of VAMPIRE TALES. And here, hopefully, he'll remain - a more science-fiction-oriented monster in some ways than any before him - in many ways Count Dracula's spiritual descendant, yet because of his nagging conscience in other ways his opposite.

C0D06AA5-43AB-434A-8336-30C20831C77E.jpeg.2cb1c4411ac7a081471838dcdcb800ab.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

The cover was by Esteban Maroto with a nice graphic style for the period and a blood red backdrop.

4E670CA3-AC63-4C6E-AE51-E45D808624B2.thumb.jpeg.98f5614c84a52a9679046b41b73cf471.jpeg

I didn’t buy this issue off the newsstands (my first was issue #2) but VT #1 was another I got from their back issue supply. I really like the classic ghoul vampire look on the cover. Esteban Maroto did some very fine work over the years.

E1A42348-6CEA-4212-A78E-20D6F378537B.thumb.jpeg.1daaeff305763269c50c25595ac82607.jpeg

BD7A7982-A7C4-4BD1-93CF-8D95B6A68575.jpeg.e35c1162b2d1a7c2f04a027e4185b2bd.jpeg

BA30A19C-20CA-443B-AC52-8ABD64957666.jpeg.797fdeeb1b047ebaa5e5af49497ae21f.jpeg