• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If great story/art determined value: What books would be keys?
2 2

140 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't understand the question. Value does not make keys.

I started with the assumption that the OP meant a book with great story and art that didn't include anything that could be easily monetised in the current market, such as no first appearance of a minor character, but, as a theoretical exercise, should still have much more respect, and a much higher price, because of its intrinsic high level of quality.

So, say,  a bargain bin, cheap item with great story and artwork, such as Batman / Grendel rather than say, most of EC's New Trend line, with great quality but which are expensive items.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I started with the assumption that the OP meant a book with great story and art that didn't include anything that could be easily monetised in the current market, such as no first appearance of a minor character, but, as a theoretical argument, should still have much more respect, and a much higher price, because of its intrinsic high level of quality.

So, say,  a bargain bin, cheap item with great story and artwork, such as Batman / Grendel rather than say, most of EC's New Trend line, with great quality but which are expensive ticket items

I assume he's asking about interior art or the combination of writing and art, since great (or at least popular... enough) cover art often has a significant impact on prices.

But that's no reason to contribute to the extreme misuse of "key" in the hobby.

This just seems like a very poorly-worded way to ask which issues are great to actually read.

13 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I assume he's asking about interior art or the combination of writing and art, since great (or at least popular... enough) cover art often has a significant impact on prices.

This just seems like a very poorly-worded way to ask which issues are great to actually read.

I don't know, it doesn't seem that hard to figure out.  What would be a key if keys were determined by quality of content? 

32 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

pretty much. post was made at about 3am after not being able to sleep. Also post was made on phone, which is a drag.

What if we lived in a world where "Issues that were great to read" = high monetary value. An issue that had great story/art was identified as a "Key."

Ken interpreted it well. Got to check out Grendal/Batman. I have MM and others.

Edited by NoMan

5 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

I don't know, it doesn't seem that hard to figure out.  What would be a key if keys were determined by quality of content? 

You are correct, Sir. 

Uncanny X-Men 133

Uncanny X-Men 141, 142

Dreadstar #1

FF #232

Strange Tales 178-181

Legion of Superheroes (Entire Great Darkness Saga)

Lazarus #1

I could go on and on

always on the lookout for new great stories to read. If you can go on and list more, and you have the time, please do.

I guess for me it's all about Miller's DD and Batman stuff but everybody knows about that. Ditto with Moore's Swampy. 

I've just read Bernie W's original Swamp Thing run with Lein Wein and it's great (first 10 issues). I've already posted over in Copper how great Moon Knight is from 23 - 33 or so.

Edited by NoMan

3 minutes ago, AJD said:

The first 10 issues of Uncle Scrooge by Carl Barks would be the biggest run in the hobby if it was based on consistent quality and reader appreciation.

Thanks. It's a series I have absolutely no info on. Has never been on my radar. Of course I know Barks, just never read any. 

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

always on the lookout for new great stories to read. If you can go on and list more, and you have the time, please do.

won't be keys but anything image and brubaker,  Y the Last Man, Early issues of Copperhead, Byrne FF run, New Teen Titans, Perez's FF run, All the Miller Mazzuchelli Daredevil stuff, JLA/JSA 70's and 80's crossover stuff, Anything Starlin did in the 70's and 80's especially Dreadstar.  Early New Mutants.  

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Thanks. It's a series I have absolutely no info on. Has never been on my radar. Of course I know Barks, just never read any. 

Just to be clear, the first three are actually in the Four Color series #386, 456 and 495, then Uncle Scrooge #4 etc. The first three are wonderful (though try to find a reprint of the second one, 'Back to the Klondike', with five cut pages reinstated.)

3 minutes ago, Pirate said:

won't be keys but anything image and brubaker,  Y the Last Man, Early issues of Copperhead, Byrne FF run, New Teen Titans, Perez's FF run, All the Miller Mazzuchelli Daredevil stuff, JLA/JSA 70's and 80's crossover stuff, Anything Starlin did in the 70's and 80's especially Dreadstar.  Early New Mutants.  

you know, the only Ed Brubaker I ever read is Lowlife, which I think was a self-published biographical thing. Same guy, no?

Thanks for taking the time to list good books you feel are worth checking out. 

1 minute ago, AJD said:

Just to be clear, the first three are actually in the Four Color series #386, 456 and 495, then Uncle Scrooge #4 etc. The first three are wonderful (though try to find a reprint of the second one, 'Back to the Klondike', with five cut pages reinstated.)

NoMan can also pick up the life and times of Scrooge McDuck trade by Don Rosa.  That's really good stuff.

Just now, NoMan said:

you know, the only Ed Brubaker I ever read is Lowlife, which I think was a self-published biographical thing. Same guy, no?

Thanks for taking the time to list good books you feel are worth checking out. 

Kill or Be Killed- current

Criminal

Fatale

Velvet

The Fade Out

Incognito

All by Ed Brubaker

4 minutes ago, Pirate said:

NoMan can also pick up the life and times of Scrooge McDuck trade by Don Rosa.  That's really good stuff.

Yes, also a solid recommendation. But the Rosa series is better if you've read the Barks tales it extrapolates from first. (I reckon.)