• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If great story/art determined value: What books would be keys?
2 2

140 posts in this topic

Just now, NoMan said:

you know, the only Ed Brubaker I ever read is Lowlife, which I think was a self-published biographical thing. Same guy, no?

Yes, Lowlife was by the same guy.  It was heavily influenced by Chester Brown's autobiographical work, and was published by Caliber.

7 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Bendis thru Brubaker Daredevil

I'd also include Waid and Samnee's excellent run.

9 hours ago, Pirate said:

is the banks stuff reprinted.  Could you point me in the right direction to read the first 10?

There are many, many reprints of the Barks material. Probably the cheapest is to pick up Gladstone/Gemstone reprints from the 80s/90s. Here are a few to start with:

Only a poor old man (Four Color 386): Uncle Scrooge Adventures #33

Back to the Klondike (FC 456): Uncle Scrooge Adventures #26

"The horseradish story" (FC 495): Uncle Scrooge #338

If you want to go upmarket, this hardcover reprints #1 - #6 and is a great package. (You can read the first half of the story from #1 on that webpage too.)

8 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Byrne FF

Simonson Thor

Sandman

Bendis thru Brubaker Daredevil

Lobo Paramilitary Xmas Special

Hellblazer (various arcs)

Planetary

All of this.

Plus:

Astro City

Green Lantern 76-89 (people forget that for decades GL 76, 81-82 & more were more key for their Denny O'Neil stories than the Adams art)

Ditto Denny O'Neil with Batman 217-251

Animal Man 1-20

100 Bullets 1-50

Y: The Last Man (all)

Wonder Woman vol 2 # 20, 170

Infinity Gauntlet

Civil War (seriously -- it was like Secret Wars, but...good)

11 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'd also include Waid and Samnee's excellent run.

I stopped picking up the monthly’s right around the time Waid took over.   I’ve heard good things though.  Really like Waid so no surprise that it’s good.  I thought his FF run was the best on the title since the Byrne run.  

11 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

All of this.

Plus:

Astro City

Green Lantern 76-89 (people forget that for decades GL 76, 81-82 & more were more key for their Denny O'Neil stories than the Adams art)

Ditto Denny O'Neil with Batman 217-251

Animal Man 1-20

100 Bullets 1-50

Y: The Last Man (all)

Wonder Woman vol 2 # 20, 170

Infinity Gauntlet

Civil War (seriously -- it was like Secret Wars, but...good)

Astro City was great.  As was the first 50 issues of Bullets (Risso is a personal favorite).  

34 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I stopped picking up the monthly’s right around the time Waid took over.   I’ve heard good things though.  Really like Waid so no surprise that it’s good.  I thought his FF run was the best on the title since the Byrne run.  

+1

A very interesting run. Despite Wieringo's cartoony artwork, Waid's stories got surprisingly dark at times.

An excellent writer.

12 hours ago, AJD said:

There are many, many reprints of the Barks material. Probably the cheapest is to pick up Gladstone/Gemstone reprints from the 80s/90s. Here are a few to start with:

Only a poor old man (Four Color 386): Uncle Scrooge Adventures #33

Back to the Klondike (FC 456): Uncle Scrooge Adventures #26

"The horseradish story" (FC 495): Uncle Scrooge #338

If you want to go upmarket, this hardcover reprints #1 - #6 and is a great package. (You can read the first half of the story from #1 on that webpage too.)

If you end up liking the stories (hard not to IMO) I'd highly recommend the Fantagraphics hardcovers as well. They're reprinted very well, and in their original form. The books open flat, so it's very easy to see the text and art near the bound edge. There's also some "commentary" in the back about each story, which varies in quality / usefulness. 

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Someone may have said this already, but how about the Ostrander Manhunter books?  

I'm not familiar with them but I'd add Ostrander's run on Spectre in the mid-90s. -- Amazing writing and great covers (including 3 of the first 15 that were glow-in-the-dark).

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Someone may have said this already, but how about the Ostrander Manhunter books?  

31 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm not familiar with them but I'd add Ostrander's run on Spectre in the mid-90s. -- Amazing writing and great covers (including 3 of the first 15 that were glow-in-the-dark).

Good taste. Might as well add Ostrander and Truman's Grimjack to the pile.

58 minutes ago, Sal said:

any issue of Love and Rockets.  honestly, Jaime Hernandez might be the best writer/artist in comic history.  his work is flawless.  flawless

You and your love  affair with the Hernandez Bros.

Might be some repeats. Here goes:

Swamp Thing #16-64. Yes, I include the pre-Moores, because Totleben and Bissette's art helped Marty Pasko's writing a lot.

Tales of the Teen Titans #42-44, Annual #3

Miracleman #1-24, but especially #11-16.

Animal #1-26

Doom Patrol #19-50

Sandman #1-75

Rom #1-75

Batman #404-407, #417-420, #433-442

Batman: The Dark Knight

The Killing Joke

Astro City #1-6, vol 3 #1-22

Supreme #41-50

Stormwatch #37-50, vol 2 #1-11, Wildcats vs. Aliens, Authority #1-22

The Witching Hour #1-80

FF #267

ASM #293-294, Web #31-32, Spect Spiderman #131-132

Captain America #332-350

Hulk #329-400

Action Comics Annual #1

New Mutants Special Ed #1/X-Men Annual #9/X-Men & Alpha Flight #1-2

Daredevil #227-233

X-Men #107-108

ASM #290-292, Annual #21

Marvel Comics Presents #85-92

49 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Might be some repeats. Here goes:

Doom Patrol #19-50

Supreme #41-50

The Witching Hour #1-80

Why the early cutoffs? And why The Witching Hour in particular out of the horror anthology titles?