• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If great story/art determined value: What books would be keys?
2 2

140 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kav said:

Shock Suspense stories #13, which has the only story penciled and inked by Frazetta.

^^

An expensive key for decades.

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

You and your love  affair with the Hernandez Bros.

just read the books.  it's all i'm saying

- Andrew Helfer's underrated Shadow series.  Some Sienkewicz in the first few issues, followed by excellent Kyle Baker art.

-  Acme Novelty Library. A deliberately-polarising suggestion, but containing the classic Jimmy Corrigan storyline.

- Leave It To Chance by James Robinson and Paul Smith

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

-  Acme Novelty Library. A deliberately-polarising suggestion, but containing the classic Jimmy Corrigan storyline.

- Leave It To Chance by James Robinson and Paul Smith

Acme was astounding. It took an hour and a half to read some of them, but you could laugh til you cried just reading the indicia. I got to go to a museum exhibit party and meet Ware, because I was the only guy Krypton Comics knew who bought and read the series.

I also loved Leave It To Chance; still have the whole run!

On 6/22/2018 at 5:14 PM, NoMan said:

I remember when Lone Wolf and Cub first came out in 1987. Frank Miller gave it his approval and BAM I was there. Got very repetitive very quickly.  As a side note: in 1987 I saw a film marathon of the Baby Cart Assassin movies which are based on the old japanese Lone Wolf comics (Roger Corman would take the best parts of the series and make the compaltion film Shogun's Assassin) . Saw it at the old Sing Lee theater in downtown Los Angeles, andold Japanese only theater going back to the 30s. I had to put my feet up in the chair in front of me because if I didn't roaches crawled up my leg.

Shogun Assassin is one of the best movies ever.  Classic.  

The best of the Wu-Tang solo albums (The Gza) borrowed heavily from SA.  So good.

Wet Moon #1 should be worth as much as action #1, based on art and story.

Warren Ellis's Thunderbolts run, John Ostrander's entire Suicide Squad Vol 1 run, Bendis's Daredevil, Brubaker's Daredevil, Bendis & Hickman's Secret Warriors, all of Jeff Parker's Agents of Atlas, Peter David's Hulk run, Peter David's X-Factor run, Bendis's New Avengers, Alien Legion by Potts, Secret Sic by Gail Simone, Suicide Squad by Gail Simone, Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett and Lanning, Annihilation by Keith Giffen. Black Panther by Hudlin and oooh, X-Force by Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost as well as X-Force by Rick Remender. Dang, I could keep going.....

9 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Acme was astounding. It took an hour and a half to read some of them, but you could laugh til you cried just reading the indicia. I got to go to a museum exhibit party and meet Ware, because I was the only guy Krypton Comics knew who bought and read the series.

I also loved Leave It To Chance; still have the whole run!

Did you get Ware's 'Building Stories' box set?

Forgot to add that one to the list of overlooked classics.

Charley's War - serialised in the UK's Battle Picture Weekly / Battle Action, by Pat Mills and Joe Colquhoun.

One of the most significant war comic sagas ever created, easily on par with Frontline Combat, Two-Fisted Tales and Blazing Combat. 

54 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Impact #1

Master Race is a comic cultural imparitive. 

Krigstein's art is brilliant. A short but significant and powerful story, perhaps undervalued.

17 hours ago, Sal said:

any issue of Love and Rockets.  honestly, Jaime Hernandez might be the best writer/artist in comic history.  his work is flawless.  flawless

Sal, I've tried w/ Love and Rockets. Again and again. What am I missing? I can't get it to work for me, however, if you're a Hernandez/Love & Rockets scholar than I'll try again. Please give me a book to begin with and I'll try once more. Thank you. 

In the 80s Fan fave artists/writers were as a driving force for price correction as movie optioned characters are today. Dave Stevens, Peter Hsu, Art Adams, Eastman, Moore, Miller, Sim.. They'd just make a pin up/back up story/intro for a book, and said book would sell and 9 times out of 10 would see a price hike. 

Its also funny how in the 80s it seemed like there was ALOT more enthusiasm among readers to participate in art contests and try outs. Marvel Age used to run a regular segment in their magazine dedicated to new artists, ending each segment they would encourage fans to submit their artwork. Books like "How to draw the marvel way", "Marvel Try Out Book" and "How to become a comic book artist" were best sellers. 

Notice how there's nothing today that engages fans to participate in art contests as there was back then?

Was that a marketing strategy? Did it drive more comic fans to buy comics? Or was art just more interesting to readers back then than it is today?

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

In the 80s Fan fave artists/writers were as a driving force for price correction as movie optioned characters are today. Dave Stevens, Peter Hsu, Art Adams, Eastman, Moore, Miller, Sim.. They'd just make a pin up/back up story/intro for a book, and said book would sell and 9 times out of 10 would see a price hike. 

Its also funny how in the 80s it seemed like there was ALOT more enthusiasm among readers to participate in art contests and try outs. Marvel Age used to run a regular segment in their magazine dedicated to new artists, ending each segment they would encourage fans to submit their artwork. Books like "How to draw the marvel way", "Marvel Try Out Book" and "How to become a comic book artist" were best sellers. 

Notice how there's nothing today that engages fans to participate in art contests as there was back then?

Was that a marketing strategy? Did it drive more comic fans to buy comics? Or was art just more interesting to readers back then than it is today?

Mark Millar has done at least one - if not two - try out contests in recent years.  There were like four writer winners and four artists, who were then paired up and the result published in a Millarverse Annual.

The results were mostly meh, but I'm not a professional talent evaluator

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Sal, I've tried w/ Love and Rockets. Again and again. What am I missing? I can't get it to work for me, however, if you're a Hernandez/Love & Rockets scholar than I'll try again. Please give me a book to begin with and I'll try once more. Thank you. 

I would start here;

http://www.fantagraphics.com/love-and-rockets-library-locas-book-1-maggie-the-mechanic-new-printing/

it's okay if you don't "get it." Taste is relative within specific bounds, and just because I love it, doesn't mean that something is wrong if someone else doesn't.  I never got into Barks and don't get the infatuation with Matt Baker, but I can recognize that they are two supreme talents worthy of admiration by the community as a whole.

But seriously if you don't at least think the art is some of the best in the medium something is probably wrong with you and you should consider some sort of therapy

On 6/22/2018 at 3:53 AM, NoMan said:

I’d feel comfortable sayin Moon Knight # 26 “Hit It” by Doug M and Bill S would be s fairly big key.  

What would be your keys?

It used to ALWAYS be the case that art and stories were valued more than their surrounding issues and even considered keys.

This was when people actually read comics.

In their respective eras certain creative teams or creators were highly sought after.

Simon / Kirby

Eisner

Lee/Kirby

Neal Adams

John Byrne

Frank Miller

...just to name a few. Collectors used to religiously follow the upper echelon of creators and pay premiums for them. They were considered minor 'keys' when I was collecting heavily..