• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If great story/art determined value: What books would be keys?
2 2

140 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Capullo's another one -- there's a reason he was the first to follow McFarlane on Spawn -- he'd been mentored and trained up by him.

I didn't know that. His earlier art on Quasar looked more like having a John Romita Jr influence to me.

I would say that the following have always been greatly enjoyed “by me.”

Paul Chadwick-Concrete

Moore/Gibbons-Watchmen

Robinson-Starman

Bolland-Judge Dredd (Eagle)

Jonah Hex

Kubert/Kanigher- Our Army At War

Kubert/Kanigher- Enemy Ace

I'm sure there are loads more....

On 6/23/2018 at 8:13 PM, Ken Aldred said:

- Andrew Helfer's underrated Shadow series.  Some Sienkewicz in the first few issues, followed by excellent Kyle Baker art.

-  Acme Novelty Library. A deliberately-polarising suggestion, but containing the classic Jimmy Corrigan storyline.

- Leave It To Chance by James Robinson and Paul Smith

I couldn't get over the eyeballs in leave it to chance.

Love and Rockets. Jaime's artwork dazzles. Strangers in Paradise, too. 

Peter David's X-Factor runs. Love those stories, especially with early Quesada art. Joe Q. wasn't there for long, though.

And, yeah, 100 Bullets before it lost it's way (1-50 was the best).

I wanna thank everyone for their suggestions. Lots of avenues I've never even considered. A lot of titles I've forgotten how good they were/are (Concrete) and lots I've never heard of or considered at all.

I gotta big list of good reading because of all your help. Thank you.

6 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I would say that the following have always been greatly enjoyed “by me.”

Paul Chadwick-Concrete

Moore/Gibbons-Watchmen

Robinson-Starman

Bolland-Judge Dredd (Eagle)

Jonah Hex

Kubert/Kanigher- Our Army At War

Kubert/Kanigher- Enemy Ace

I'm sure there are loads more....

I would second Hex and OAAW and Enemy Ace and raise you The Unknown Soldier. First books along with Batman I read as a kid until I discovered Marvel.

The most obvious McFarlane clone was Stephen Platt. Of course, there were others, such as John Cleary, Trent Kaniuga, Joe Mad to an extent, and even Dan Panosian to an extent. It would be erroneous to suggest there were no McFarlane imitators. There were several.

23 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:
On 6/24/2018 at 11:18 PM, SteppinRazor said:

mcFarlane was not really imitated

Umm...except that there were a handful of artists trying damn-hard to imitate McFarlane.

Stephen Platt, I think, was the most obvious example. Moon Knight 55 took off precisely because it featured "a new artist who drew like McFarlane" -- and among his early covers -- Moon Knight 55-57, Prophet # 4 variant and Prophet # 5 may as well have been drawn by McFarlane.

Capullo's another one -- there's a reason he was the first to follow McFarlane on Spawn -- he'd been mentored and trained up by him.

I'd even argue that Liefeld was heavily influenced by McFarlane, who both inked and co-penciled some of the early Liefeld New Mutants issues.

Gatsby got there before me....but one exception: McFarlane only inked the covers to New Mutants #85-89, and 93. He didn't ink or pencil any of the interiors.

19 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Fantastic Four #285. Pretty deep story. I had John sign it for me because it's one of my favorite FF stories. 

Yup. A very powerful story. One of Byrne's best.

17 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Towards the end of his run, right? I’ve purchased yp to 247 or so in his run

It is.  But, Byrne maintains the quality over the long haul; 60 or so issues.

The first 4 issues of Manhunter Vol 1.  Doug Rice/Kelly Jones did the pencils and it was inked by Sam Keith/Kelly Jones.  A great story about a very wealthy woman who collects super hero masks.  She either buys them from people who found them, attempts to buy them from the heroes, or she hires an assassin to get them.  Very enjoyable read and it was a fresh take on Manhunter when it got rebooted.  Issue 1 has Mark Shaw capturing both the Penguin and Mr. Freeze in two different parts of the issue. 

Here is the page where we get introduced to the wealthy woman who collects masks in issue 1 and Dumas, the assassin, gets injected into the story during the phone call with her lawyer.

ulcXN5tH8B-cvbJv_J0IcueN0fkoFn47rVKJqAKo

Here is the page in issue 4 where we get to see her mask room. (I always thought that if heroes existed we collect the masks instead of comic books).

2d6gtk0RvGxH-kgkojshQ1GAeWweBmPRzunyBD70

Oh, and the story has a big twist at the end.

Edited by Lucky Baru