• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

original GAME artwork FB group

39 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I started a FB group similar to Terry Doyle's but instead of movie illustrations, game illustrations - video games, pinball, arcade, board games, etc.

C'mon over and have a look on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/502536466816380/

Edited by Bronty

Here are some of the pieces of art that have been shared so far in the first three days, so that you can get a flavor for the group:

Starsiege Tribes, PC game, Luis Royo:

36062964_10214514333563485_3174116642904

Various illustrations from the Roger Rabbit board game by Milton Bradley

36199812_10102676234571566_2629306084426

Sonic the Hedgehog promotional art

35991840_268113307095893_796977637427563

Illustrations from various Sierra Games

33351629_1005731002921376_54510952685712

Xmen Sega Genesis box art

36034261_10101680408315301_4089074737152

Mutant Chronicles rpg art by Paul Bonner

35988950_10160450104035632_4484882104059

Total Carnage Super Nintendo box art

YKdIEON.jpg

Attack from Mars, pinball

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bhttps://imgur.com/hZrabdd

Edited by Bronty

Lots of great-looking artworks surfacing on your FB group.  Not something I'd been paying attention to in the past but now that I'm seeing what's been done am growing quite fascinated by it all.  Well done, Bronty.  (thumbsu

8 hours ago, The Voord said:

Lots of great-looking artworks surfacing on your FB group.  Not something I'd been paying attention to in the past but now that I'm seeing what's been done am growing quite fascinated by it all.  Well done, Bronty.  (thumbsu

Thanks Terry!   Really appreciate your help in the early stages of it!   :headbang:

Sounds like fun but I'm not on Facebook. Actually I probably am as a "shadow profile" but that's another problem.

I take it this is a closed group that I can't peek in? I mentioned before that I tried to win the old Sega Genesis Castle of Illusion original case artwork. I saw a few Japanese original artworks before. I'll search my computer and see if I can post them here or at least give the names. For all I know the owners might have posted them on your group already.

Thank you.  

it’s a closed group yes.    

You're welcome to join with that shadow account and lurk if you choose

Castle of Illusion did get posted as ‘one that got away’ as the description was terrible

Edited by Bronty

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

Thank you.  

it’s a closed group yes.    

You're welcome to join with that shadow account and lurk if you choose

Castle of Illusion did get posted as ‘one that got away’ as the description was terrible

It's a shadow account in that I didn't make it, Facebook did. I only check some company Facebook sites but Facebook keeps information on people as shadow profiles even though they might not have an actual Facebook account.

Anyway, that Heritage description was bad but I thought I would be able to win it because of lack of knowledge. I remember you posting about some Street Fighter artwork. Also I remember seeing the artwork for the American cover of Valis I think Part 3 or maybe 4? It's a Japanese PC Engine game but the American artwork was by a fantasy artist.

18 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

It's a shadow account in that I didn't make it, Facebook did. I only check some company Facebook sites but Facebook keeps information on people as shadow profiles even though they might not have an actual Facebook account.

Anyway, that Heritage description was bad but I thought I would be able to win it because of lack of knowledge. I remember you posting about some Street Fighter artwork. Also I remember seeing the artwork for the American cover of Valis I think Part 3 or maybe 4? It's a Japanese PC Engine game but the American artwork was by a fantasy artist.

yeah that would be Super Valis IV by Julie Bell, that's owned by a boardie, not me sadly

On 6/29/2018 at 12:05 PM, Bronty said:

yeah that would be Super Valis IV by Julie Bell, that's owned by a boardie, not me sadly

That's a good one. It doesn't match the anime style of the game. But still a good one. It's one of those odd things how American companies at times came up with covers that they thought would sell a game better than the Japanese artwork.

On 7/1/2018 at 1:31 AM, GeneticNinja said:

That's a good one. It doesn't match the anime style of the game. But still a good one. It's one of those odd things how American companies at times came up with covers that they thought would sell a game better than the Japanese artwork.

I hear you.     It made sense at the time.    That Japanese artwork would not have sold in America at the time.   It was the right business decision then.   Unnecessary now but the world's a smaller place than it was!

On 7/3/2018 at 12:14 PM, Bronty said:

I hear you.     It made sense at the time.    That Japanese artwork would not have sold in America at the time.   It was the right business decision then.   Unnecessary now but the world's a smaller place than it was!

I don't know if it made sense for that Valis game since it was in the 90s I think. Anime was popular or picking up then. Plus the previous games were released and fans knew of the style. Maybe the different art was for parents? I know I've seen many talk about how you only had the cover artwork to pick a good game back then as there weren't that many magazines. Or as kids we would go to Toys R Us and really go by the cover art. In some cases, changing the Japanese artwork seemed like a waste of money. There are some Japanese games I want to get just for the box artwork.

Any new artwork being posted on your group?

8 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I don't know if it made sense for that Valis game since it was in the 90s I think. Anime was popular or picking up then. Plus the previous games were released and fans knew of the style. Maybe the different art was for parents? I know I've seen many talk about how you only had the cover artwork to pick a good game back then as there weren't that many magazines. Or as kids we would go to Toys R Us and really go by the cover art. In some cases, changing the Japanese artwork seemed like a waste of money. There are some Japanese games I want to get just for the box artwork.

Any new artwork being posted on your group?

That was starting to be closer to the inflection point, I agree, where it was starting to matter less but I think the execs (and probably parents, agree) were more comfortable with western design.

Sure, pieces are being posted with regularity.   Here's a further sample:

Milton Bradley sonic the hedgehog board game cover, early 90s (excuse the poor photo)

36512448_10157446145167786_8014960654295

Indiana Jones pinball machine (Williams, early 90s)

click the link, embedding isn't working for some reason

EtkbrtD.jpg

Street Fighter Championship, sega genesis

36490814_276089666298257_333333903914198

xmen children of the atom arcade (and sega saturn and ps1) artwork

36632967_278554249385132_586345265629862

Edited by Bronty

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

That was starting to be closer to the inflection point, I agree, where it was starting to matter less but I think the execs (and probably parents, agree) were more comfortable with western design.

Sure, pieces are being posted with regularity.   Here's a further sample:

Milton Bradley sonic the hedgehog board game cover, early 90s (excuse the poor photo)

36512448_10157446145167786_8014960654295

Indiana Jones pinball machine (Williams, early 90s)

click the link, embedding isn't working for some reason

EtkbrtD.jpg

Street Fighter Championship, sega genesis

36490814_276089666298257_333333903914198

xmen children of the atom arcade (and sega saturn and ps1) artwork

36632967_278554249385132_586345265629862

I think kids were far more accepting of anime than parents at the time. Also companies were just doing business and going through the motions of product design and marketing regardless in some cases. There was a company that also brought over a few titles with different Japanese covers I want to get. Compare the American artwork for El Viento which I guess is ok. I think it only reflects the first level or so. With the anime and game accurate amazing Japanese cover. That's another one when I think who played that game, saw the Japanese cover, and still decided to change it?

Any Japanese artwork being posted at your group? A friend of mine showed me an image of the original Super Metroid map artwork once. I don't know how that got out.

No Japanese art being posted nor do I expect to see any.   

IMO There’s many times when the US art is better , and many times the Japanese art is better.   And, there are just as many tropes in the Japanese stuff, they just look less that way to Americans.   ;)  The American stuff much like American comics have the overly muscular physiques and the Japanese stuff have Skinny spaceships, blue and pink hair, guys that look like elves yada yada.   Nothing wrong with either set of conventions IMO , each continent just had its own look.   Many of the Japanese images used reference from American illustrators and vice versa

Edited by Bronty

Some cool new pieces posted lately.

A nintendo Duck Tales piece, and the arcade art for the mega classic Ghouls n Ghosts

37243124_10157493039892786_8041641339030

Duke Nukem originals

iPu3f4o.png

A modern Castlevania sketch by everyone's favorite gaming artist, Tom Dubois, he of the classic Konami covers (this was posted by Tom himself, I'd guess digital but still awesome)

36966100_625571871160627_430634674742624

Box art for the super nintendo classic, Pocky & Rocky

37052675_225473398275929_533863919926221

Edited by Bronty

9 hours ago, Solar said:

I just saw this and sent a join request. I don't have any game artwork, but I love looking at it!

Bronty's FB group is a real eye-opener.  That Indiana Jones piece posted several comments back is really cool.  I know most folks here are comic-book orientated, but anyone who appreciates good artwork ought to at least be widening their horizons, imho.  You don't even have to own any of this type of art to enjoy what's surfacing.  All good stuff.