• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supreme Court voted 5-4 in favor of e-commerce for now collecting Sales tax-eBay sellers all states
1 1

22 posts in this topic

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/22/17493298/supreme-court-internet-sales-tax-congress-amazon-etsy-ebay

This is gigantic news!

I currently collect sales tax from all California sales.  This could now mean all eBay sellers that met the small business or total sales threshold may have to collect and then file for every state they sell in.  Now I know nothing is in the rule book yet and we are 1-2 years potentially away before states figure all this business tax out, but this is super big news.

They could do something such as only collecting sales tax if you total annual sales per state is over a certain amount so for many of us it would be no harm no foul besides collecting your domestic sales tax you currently charge your home state customers.  I know they are targeting the bigger company such as Amazon, Overstock, eBay, etc...but this sounds like this could be a total nightmare for small businesses that operate under those big companies.

So for example you as a buyer may have to eventually pay sales tax on everything you buy no matter if it's from eBay, C-Link, Heritage, or your favorite comic book dealer via the internet. 

Discuss? 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Glad I quit Ebay. So sick and tired of even attempting to sell on there and deal with buyers who know you can’t do a damn thing about it. 

On topic yea that sucks. Tax tax tax but it does make sense I guess

2 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/22/17493298/supreme-court-internet-sales-tax-congress-amazon-etsy-ebay

This is gigantic news!

I currently collect sales tax from all California sales.  This could now mean all eBay sellers that met the small business or total sales threshold may have to collect and then file for every state they sell in.  Now I know nothing is in the rule book yet and we are 1-2 years potentially away before states figure all this business tax out, but this is super big news.

They could do something such as only collecting sales tax if you total annual sales per state is over a certain amount so for many of us it would be no harm no foul besides collecting your domestic sales tax you currently charge your home state customers.  I know they are targeting the bigger company such as Amazon, Overstock, eBay, etc...but this sounds like this could be a total nightmare for small businesses that operate under those big companies.

So for example you as a buyer may have to eventually pay sales tax on everything you buy no matter if it's from eBay, C-Link, Heritage, or your favorite comic book dealer via the internet. 

Discuss? 

Welcome to the party, Shelock.

3 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

This is gigantic news!

Discuss? 

Must be nice to be 3-4 days behind in the news as discussion has been going on for days in another thread.  Beach blindness?

6 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Must be nice to be 3-4 days behind in the news as discussion has been going on for days in another thread.  Beach blindness?

You're the second BSD to chastise.  maybe you should be known as "behindbob".

9 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

This is gigantic news!

Discuss? 

I'm fairly certain that periodicals; all periodicals, which comic books that are issued periodically most certainly are, have always been, and still are, sales tax exempt. In fact, I remember taking part in a conversation with a vendor who only sold comics. About an equal amount of new and back issues. She never paid state sales tax because she didn't think she was selling taxable items. An agent/auditor contacted her to begin an audit, and while meeting with her they argues the point of periodicals not being taxable, him asserting that they were, because they had stories and pictures as books did and books are taxable, they are not periodicals, their being called comic books. She countered that they were periodicals, books yes, but issued periodically, they continued the debate until she walked over to the rack, pulled a new issue, opened to the publisher's info and pointed out to him the sentence, "This PERIODICAL ............  He read it, closed his ledger, and exited with brief case in hand, that was the end of her audit! Sales tax exempt.

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm fairly certain that periodicals; all periodicals, which comic books that are issued periodically most certainly are, have always been, and still are, sales tax exempt. In fact, I remember taking part in a conversation with a vendor who only sold comics. About an equal amount of new and back issues. She never paid state sales tax because she didn't think she was selling taxable items. An agent/auditor contacted her to begin an audit, and while meeting with her they argues the point of periodicals not being taxable, him asserting that they were, because they had stories and pictures as books did and books are taxable, they are not periodicals, their being called comic books. She countered that they were periodicals, books yes, but issued periodically, they continued the debate until she walked over to the rack, pulled a new issue, opened to the publisher's info and pointed out to him the sentence, "This PERIODICAL ............  He read it, closed his ledger, and exited with brief case in hand, that was the end of her audit! Sales tax exempt.

lol

7 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Cool argument.  Love that out-of-box thinking. 

But NY state Dept of Tax. says no, probably along with other states that exempt periodicals from sales tax.

"To qualify as a periodical, a publication must:

• be published in printed or written form at stated intervals at least four times a year;
  • have continuity as to the title and general nature of the content from issue to issue;
  • contain a variety of articles by different authors devoted to literature, the sciences or the arts, news, a special industry, profession, sport, or other field of endeavor;
  • be available for circulation to the public; and
  • not constitute a book, either singly or when successive issues are put together"

And

"Publications that don't qualify as newspapers or periodicals include: ...

• publications that were originally periodicals, but that are sold at a price that does not reflect the normal selling price (i.e., sold for collection or investment purposes)."

Link: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/newspapers_periodicals.htm

Of course

16 minutes ago, grebal said:

And

"Publications that don't qualify as newspapers or periodicals include: ...

• publications that were originally periodicals, but that are sold at a price that does not reflect the normal selling price (i.e., sold for collection or investment purposes)."

Link: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/newspapers_periodicals.htm

Of course

:gossip:    They closed the comic book/periodical sales tax exempt loophole in or about 2010. The vendor I conversed with occurred about 5 years prior to that. There goes that idea.  :sorry:

Edited by James J Johnson

23 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
7 hours ago, Jerkfro said:
15 hours ago, lizards2 said:

You're the second BSD to chastise.  maybe you should be known as "behindbob".

This thread delivers! 

If I read it in 30 minutes or less, is it free...?

It depends on what your definition of 'is' is...., not to mention 'free'.

2 minutes ago, adampasz said:

984552715_ScreenShot2018-06-23at1_50_13PM.thumb.png.69b3818a54a75ddeda2fc2b04c163629.png

Unless you're using them for "scrap", periodicals are still exempt in California, according to this website:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/lawguides/business/current/btlg/vol2/suta/385-0000-all.html#385-1250

I'm curious whether local comic shops in Californica charge sales tax anyway. 

I remember asking a comic convention promoter about this (if I came and sold books in California), and I thought he said that  you're supposed to collect the sales tax and mail it with a form to the state.  And he was a shop owner. 

I may be remembering this all wrong though.

37 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm curious whether local comic shops in Californica charge sales tax anyway. 

I remember asking a comic convention promoter about this (if I came and sold books in California), and I thought he said that  you're supposed to collect the sales tax and mail it with a form to the state.  And he was a shop owner. 

I may be remembering this all wrong though.

When I set up in San Diego it was mandatory to register with the BOE in California and submit a sales tax payment for sold items.